Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seat Deposits

shayereynolds17shayereynolds17 Free Trial Member
in General 18 karma

I haven’t had a chance to visit my top 3 law school choices yet, so is it smart to put down multiple seat deposits? I should be able to visit two within the next few weeks.

Comments

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

Make sure to carefully read the scholarship award requirements for each of your schools. Some have stipulations that require that you only deposit at one school if you deposit at their school, at risk of forfeiting your scholarship. This was the case for USC on my award letter.

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

When are the deadlines for them? Can you visit before the deadline? Because if so then I wouldn't put a deposit before visiting if time permits

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

As an odd tip schools won't know about multiple deposits until early May so if you're negotiating after seat deposits that's an option BUT no idea if you'll still show up on deposits even if you withdraw one before the May notification schools get.

711 karma

@stepharizona said:
    As an odd tip schools won't know about multiple deposits until early May so if you're negotiating after seat deposits that's an option BUT no idea if you'll still show up on deposits even if you withdraw one before the May notification schools get.

This is a really good point! My timeline actually requires that I do this (stupid law school admission system). I have to put down a deposit at a school whose deadline is April 15th (luckily it's only $200) to keep my seat so that I have time to hear back about awards from other schools and appeal an award letter. But if I don't hear back from them by the 23rd of April, then I'll have to make a second deposit at another school and double-deposit. Luckily, neither of these schools have stipulations about double-depositing. However, a third school that offered me a scholarship (USC) does have a stipulation around it such that I have to withdraw from all of my other schools before their May 1st deposit deadline to keep my scholarship. Here's the language from USC's terms and conditions:

"You may not hold seat deposits at other law schools. USC Gould participates in the LSAC Deposit Overlap program, which provides participating law schools with the names of admitted students who have submitted seat deposits to other law schools. We require that since we are making a financial commitment to you, that in return you make a final commitment to us. If you elect to pay our tuition deposit you must withdraw from all other law schools to which you have been admitted no later than May 1st. Verification that this condition has been met will be determined when the LSAC Deposit Overlap Report is released to law schools. If your name appears on the list, then your scholarship offer may be revoked. If you remain on any waitlists at the time you place your commitment deposit to USC Gould, it is not required that you withdraw from consideration unless you wish to do so."

So read all of your award/acceptance letters and see what you can work out. Worst-case scenario, you might be able to appeal for a deposit deadline extension from the school's dean. Hoping it all works out for you! Let me know if you have any questions or want any advice for negotiating these treacherous waters. :) There should be no reason for you to be forced to fully commit to a school without being able to make a fully informed decision (ie. after all of your visits and with all of your award notifications in front of you). Screw any school that tries to make you do otherwise.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@stepharizona said:

How do schools find out about multiple deposits by may?

711 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:

@stepharizona said:

The LSAC Deposit Overlap program.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

@PublicInterested said:

@stepharizona said:

So it does seem like the May 1 is the last day to withdraw before they get the report on May 15 (or around there)

711 karma

@stepharizona said:

@PublicInterested said:

@stepharizona said:

So it does seem like the May 1 is the last day to withdraw before they get the report on May 15 (or around there)

I couldn't say exactly! It likely depends on the exact policy of the school.