Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do we think of these new rankings (2019)?

What do you guys think of the new USNWR rankings?
I was thrilled to see Berkeley jump up from #12 to #9 since it's one of my top choices. But I wonder if it'll keep climbing or drop back down next year? And I also wonder how much the rankings will influence employment outcomes, if at all. Thoughts, feelings, insights?

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

Berkeley has always been a great school. I wouldn't worry about any significant drops in the ranks for them for a while, tbh.

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Nothing big that gets my attention. Sucks UT dropped (sighs) but they still #1 in Texas so no worries for me haha.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Especially with Berkeley getting Dean Cherminsky, a prominent expert in Constitutional Law, I don't see Berkely going down any time soon. This dean was responsible for UCI's high clerkship numbers and should bring his connections with judges to Berkeley.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I think the Berkeley jump is fueled by an increase in the reputation scores based on admiration of Dean Cherminsky. If the school actually gets better in meaningful ways like clerkship percentage, I would expect Berkeley to remain about where it is ir maybe increase a tad. If it doesn't, then over the next several years I would expect it to fade back toward where it was.

It probably shouldn't matter all that much to a decision though. Berkely is in the Top 14 solidly won't drop out of the Top 14 and also won't threaten to break up the threesome of Yale, Stanford, and Harvard anytime soon the way Chicago and Columbia have sometimes looked like they might. The Ceiling for Berkeley would probably be finding a way to pass Michigan and Penn and maybe tie NYU for 6th. The floor is about 12.

Knowing that, look at location and placement.

• Sammie215Sammie215 Member
    202 karma

Yep out of where I've heard back from so far my top choices are NYU and Berkeley, especially since I'm interested in public interest. As a native Californian Berkeley holds some extra sway though, even if it's slightly lower in the rankings :)

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

US News rankings matter very very little and should not be used to make decisions for attending one school or another.