Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Law School News

Comments

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@LCMama2017 said:

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    Waitlisted at Harvard this morning. LSAC GPA 3.81. LSAT 180.

How the hell are you not in Harvard with a 180 :(. I mean, its a 180 for crying out loud. What the hell do these people want?

I remember reading some havard law admissions interviews stating that they highly recommend applicants to build work experience before applying

• @westcoastbestcoast said:

@LCMama2017 said:

How the hell are you not in Harvard with a 180 :(. I mean, its a 180 for crying out loud. What the hell do these people want?

I remember reading some havard law admissions interviews stating that they highly recommend applicants to build work experience before applying

Changing times we live in

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:

@LCMama2017 said:

And I totally understand why that is usually a good idea. Usually it provides an increased opportunity to get into a law school with a much better shot of doing either legal work or BigLaw if that is what you want while also giving you time to improve your LSAT score. It also looks a little better to employers.

However, right now the choice for me is whether to get the experience now or as a lawyer. If I went and got work experience now, maybe it gets me a slightly better outcome in terms of law school admissions and a slightly better job out of law school. If I go to law school at Michigan with a big scholarship then I'll have a couple years of experience as a lawyer by the time I would be entering the legal market if I waited. That probably is the better move for my career.

If I was just looking at maximizing financial returns, it would certainly be better to go now with the big scholarship. If I wanted to do as well financially as possible I would definitely do Big Law. The sooner I wipe out what will be a relatively small debt, the sooner I could start saving some money from Big Law. The earlier I do that, the more it compounds before retirement.

edited March 2018 3788 karma

@LCMama2017 said:

And I totally understand why that is usually a good idea. Usually it provides an increased opportunity to get into a law school with a much better shot of doing either legal work or BigLaw if that is what you want while also giving you time to improve your LSAT score. It also looks a little better to employers.

However, right now the choice for me is whether to get the experience now or as a lawyer. If I went and got work experience now, maybe it gets me a slightly better outcome in terms of law school admissions and a slightly better job out of law school. If I go to law school at Michigan with a big scholarship then I'll have a couple years of experience as a lawyer by the time I would be entering the legal market if I waited. That probably is the better move for my career.

If I was just looking at maximizing financial returns, it would certainly be better to go now with the big scholarship. If I wanted to do as well financially as possible I would definitely do Big Law. The sooner I wipe out what will be a relatively small debt, the sooner I could start saving some money from Big Law. The earlier I do that, the more it compounds before retirement.

I totally agree with this line of logic. It is sometimes overlooked that being a couple years ahead in your legal career than can help propel your career faster and help you reach your financial goals faster as well. Even though my own work experience isn't legal related, I do believe that it helped me mature a bit and helped me realize that the academic setting and the work place are two completely different arenas with its own quirks. To clarify, this definitely may not apply to you. Just giving my two cents.

• 93 karma

@"J.CHRIS.ALST" said:

@LSATGarbageMan said:
    Waitlisted at Harvard this morning - 175 LSAT 3.9+ LSAC GPA. It's been... An okay-ish cycle for me so far? I was accepted to Columbia but have been waitlisted at Northwestern and Michigan. Haven't heard anything else for months so... :neutral:

Wow - these are some phenomenal numbers being wait listed here. I'm curious as to what point in the cycle you applied in?

Yeah, I did apply fairly late in the cycle (went complete mid to late January). Also, am a KJD and I don't really have a good "why law" aspect in my apps so I guess that's why I am getting waitlisted like crazy. In case anyone here's interested, here's what's happened so far:

Yale: No response
    Harvard: Waitlist, no JS1
    Stanford: No response
    Chicago: No response
    Columbia: Admitted
    NYU: No response? Got the hold tight email a couple of days ago
    UPenn: No response
    Duke: "Priority Reserve" aka Waitlist
    Michigan: Waitlist
    Northwestern: Waitlist
    Berkeley: No response
    Georgetown: No response

So yeah, lots of waitlists... Haha. :smile:

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

For anyone still waiting on Berkeley, someone on reddit said they called admissions and were told that they were planning to have all their decisions out by the end of this week.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2R0c7Xc0YVwAjTtS/giphy.gif

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    edited March 2018 891 karma

Omg!! I didn’t apply to Berk but fingers crossed for everyone here who did!!

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

@LSATGarbageMan and anyone else waiting on NYU: I got the still under review email in early Feb and still no final decision. Anyone else have experience with the NYU process? Is this typical? Bad news? Are they getting approval for my full scholarship? Haha, as if.

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

Y'all are doing so great! :) Awesome to hear back about these results from so much hard work.

8392 karma

Welp, not sure if all decisions are out yet, but finally got that official Berkeley ding! Narrowing down the options. hah.

891 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Welp, not sure if all decisions are out yet, but finally got that official Berkeley ding! Narrowing down the options. hah.

Their loss!! You have so many other great options. Good luck moving forward

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited March 2018 13286 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

Sorry about that one, on my way to work today (since I pass that school) I’ll go tell them they made a stupid mistake. I didn’t apply nothing to lose. Haha

Keep your head up! Other good options out there!

891 karma

I think I'm going crazy

13286 karma

@mcglz_64 said:
    I think I'm going crazy

Yep, still silence for me. No acceptances, and quite a few schools still just not sending me anything lol

891 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@mcglz_64 said:
    I think I'm going crazy

Yep, still silence for me. No acceptances, and quite a few schools still just not sending me anything lol

How many schools did you apply to?

13286 karma

@mcglz_64 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@mcglz_64 said:
    I think I'm going crazy

Lots lol like 16 or more

891 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@mcglz_64 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@mcglz_64 said:
    I think I'm going crazy

Lots lol like 16 or more

Ohhh me too! And I applied pretty close to most of their deadlines bcof the feb lsat. Don’t worry. I’m sure you will hear soon and will turn those waitlists to acceptances. Did you send your LOCIs?

3788 karma

anyone hear back from yale recently? still no response from them..

891 karma

anyone hear back from yale recently? still no response from them..

Not yet, but they usually take a long time

• It's almost April, it's also Friday. Do you think these people are aware that they're already driving us insane, before we even start law school?? Passover/Easter is gonna be really hard this year got us. Can't enjoy my weekend. Thx.

4423 karma

@OverRatedUnderAchiever said:
    It's almost April, it's also Friday. Do you think these people are aware that they're already driving us insane, before we even start law school?? Passover/Easter is gonna be really hard this year got us. Can't enjoy my weekend. Thx.

I feel you. The one thing I'm sort of happy about is that Duke said they would send me scholarship info the first week of April.

Now if only I could get Yale, Stanford, Chicago, NYU, Penn, Virginia, Northwestern, and Cornell to send along decisions next week too.

edited March 2018 891 karma

I wish they would at least give us some sort of idea...I have a scholarship deposit due right after Easter and it's pretty expensive to deposit! Almost $1000

13286 karma

This wait is getting really old, really fast. It's almost April and there are still a decent amount of schools that haven't made a decision, or even communicated with me yet....

I'm sick of refreshing websites waiting for something to happen lol

891 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    This wait is getting really old, really fast. It's almost April and there are still a decent amount of schools that haven't made a decision, or even communicated with me yet....

I wish that schools gave out their decisions at the same time. I realize this may create a whole mess of other issues but right now (with this deposit deadline) I am so stressed.

• @mcglz_64 said:
    I wish they would at least give us some sort of idea...I have a scholarship deposit due right after Easter and it's pretty expensive to deposit! Almost $1000

Damn these schools are really on my last nerve.

• @LSATcantwin said:

My mail man hates me so much, I swear I'm out there everyday at 12:42 awaiting his arrival.

• @mcglz_64 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

I wish that schools gave out their decisions at the same time. I realize this may create a whole mess of other issues but right now (with this deposit deadline) I am so stressed.

We're not even in law school yet, and they're already ripping us off.

891 karma

@mcglz_64 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

We're not even in law school yet, and they're already ripping us off.

Exactly! I mean $1000?? Like seriously. And I only got this decision from them a week ago and their deadline is Monday. It's my first acceptance so I don't know if it's typical but that's not a lot of time and that is a LOT of money.

891 karma

Me: "Yes, let me just grab my wallet, good thing I have that $1000 lying around."

• @mcglz_64 said:
    Me: "Yes, let me just grab my wallet, good thing I have that $1000 lying around."

We're already broke, I mean what do they think we are

3788 karma

wow.. Theres a 4.04 gpa and 180 lsat scorer on Law School Numbers who got waitlisted to columbia..

edited March 2018 8392 karma

wow.. Theres a 4.04 gpa and 180 lsat scorer on Law School Numbers who got waitlisted to columbia..

lol

https://media1.giphy.com/media/l2JJxBq2Rcfvzrpuw/giphy.gif

• Brian_LSATBrian_LSAT Yearly Member
    232 karma

It seems like K-JDs are getting hit particularly hard in this more competitive cycle. Schools have the option of increasing their medians, taking larger classes, and/or focusing on soft factors like work experience in composing their classes. I’m not K-JD, but I’m definitely modifying my expectations for when I apply next cycle after seeing the results of people with much better numbers than me this year.

• @"Leah M B" said:

lol

This is how I wake up feeling

3788 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

lol

She got into harvard so lifes not over haha

• Anyone else read about "Ivy Day" yesterday? I know it's for those little undergrads, but their numbers that were released were very interesting. I also read the WSJ this morning & noticed that although the % admitted was small, the generous grants/money awarded also hit some all time highs. Hmmm, I could be the only one thinking this, but maybe a lot of these Universities in general are having a harder time than we think overall?? I can post the link of the article, if anyone cares. Probably not. But I found it interesting anyway, since being analytical is what we all are masters of...

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@akistotle said:

@"Leah M B" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@mcglz_64 said:

@LSATcantwin said:
    Pretty sure I have bad news waiting at home from Irvine. lol This cycle is rough.

Oh no! What makes you say that? Re the bad news waiting

Bunch of letters were sent out recently. Both WL and rejections.

Side note: super irritating that some schools are still doing snail mail. I moved in to a new apartment a few weeks ago and informed every school, but I'm still nervous they will send stuff to the old address. I have my mail forwarded but that can take a week or 2 sometimes when they re-route it. Or sometimes the post office messes it up and just doesn't forward. It's a total crapshoot.

Wait, UCI is doing snail mail!? You have to check my physical mail box!? :worried:

Inacurrate, I got in to UCI via email. 3 days later received a packet in the mail.

13286 karma

@"surfy surf" said:

@akistotle said:

@"Leah M B" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@mcglz_64 said:

@LSATcantwin said:
    Pretty sure I have bad news waiting at home from Irvine. lol This cycle is rough.

Side note: super irritating that some schools are still doing snail mail. I moved in to a new apartment a few weeks ago and informed every school, but I'm still nervous they will send stuff to the old address. I have my mail forwarded but that can take a week or 2 sometimes when they re-route it. Or sometimes the post office messes it up and just doesn't forward. It's a total crapshoot.

Wait, UCI is doing snail mail!? You have to check my physical mail box!? :worried:

Inacurrate, I got in to UCI via email. 3 days later received a packet in the mail.

Accurate - last week a ton of rejections and wait-lists were sent via snail mail with no accompanying e-mail :/

• Brian_LSATBrian_LSAT Yearly Member
    232 karma

Anyone else read about "Ivy Day" yesterday? I know it's for those little undergrads, but their numbers that were released were very interesting. I also read the WSJ this morning & noticed that although the % admitted was small, the generous grants/money awarded also hit some all time highs. Hmmm, I could be the only one thinking this, but maybe a lot of these Universities in general are having a harder time than we think overall?? I can post the link of the article, if anyone cares. Probably not. But I found it interesting anyway, since being analytical is what we all are masters of...

I don't think it's the case that they're having a harder time. I'm quite far removed from the college admissions process, but I imagine the record highs of grants come from programs designed to benefit applicants of lower SES. For example, Harvard offers free tuition to students who come from families with income below $65,000 per year.

8392 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"surfy surf" said:

@akistotle said:

@"Leah M B" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@mcglz_64 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Accurate - last week a ton of rejections and wait-lists were sent via snail mail with no accompanying e-mail :/

I’m thinking it sounds maybe like acceptances get emails and others do not? Although I swear I saw a few people say they got in and only got snail mail. Could be wrong on that point though.

4423 karma

Waitlisted at Virginia.

I think these waitlists are going to start rolling in.

891 karma

Waitlisted at Virginia.

Congrats! You're still in the running.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

Waitlisted at Virginia.

YP.

4423 karma

@mcglz_64 said:

Waitlisted at Virginia.

Only if I accept the spot on the waitlist. I probably will just in case I get some big scholarship off the waitlist.

However, since it's nearly useless for negotiation now, Virginia is basically gone from my cycle.

@goingfor99th said:

Waitlisted at Virginia.

YP.

Probably, which means I needed to write a better Why Virginia. I didn't really have any good ties to work with though jyst their proximity to DC, public interest programs, and law and economics strength(none of which are individually exclusive to them).

So far I'm in at Columbia(with no money), in at Duke which I am tied to through one of my recommenders and priority track(with scholarship info supposedly coming this week), in at Michigan(with $150000) with strong ties to the state, and in at WUSTL(with $$$).

I'm waitlisted at Harvard. (Can't be yield protection, but might be me being KJD).

Waitlisted at Virginia(probably yield protection).

Interviewed at Chicago

Held tight at NYU

Ghosted by Stanford(GPA and KJD), by Penn (Yield Protection), by Northwestern (KJD), and by Cornell(?)

I think that if you want big scholarships in the Top 14, ties to a school or it's area are important just because its hard to convince them you will go with high enough stats for their big scholarships otherwise. Thankfully, I had just enough of those to get a few good results and you can only go to one school.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

@"Leah M B", I think you're right that the schools use different means of communication; it may also vary by admissions year and such.

3788 karma

@mcglz_64 said:

Waitlisted at Virginia.

Only if I accept the spot on the waitlist. I probably will just in case I get some big scholarship off the waitlist.

However, since it's nearly useless for negotiation now, Virginia is basically gone from my cycle.

@goingfor99th said:

Waitlisted at Virginia.

YP.

Probably, which means I needed to write a better Why Virginia. I didn't really have any good ties to work with though jyst their proximity to DC, public interest programs, and law and economics strength(none of which are individually exclusive to them).

So far I'm in at Columbia(with no money), in at Duke which I am tied to through one of my recommenders and priority track(with scholarship info supposedly coming this week), in at Michigan(with $150000) with strong ties to the state, and in at WUSTL(with $$$).

I'm waitlisted at Harvard. (Can't be yield protection, but might be me being KJD).

Waitlisted at Virginia(probably yield protection).

Interviewed at Chicago

Held tight at NYU

Ghosted by Stanford(GPA and KJD), by Penn (Yield Protection), by Northwestern (KJD), and by Cornell(?)

I think that if you want big scholarships in the Top 14, ties to a school or it's area are important just because its hard to convince them you will go with high enough stats for their big scholarships otherwise. Thankfully, I had just enough of those to get a few good results and you can only go to one school.

did you apply to Yale?

• Radhika.Radhika. Member
    214 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

so from all those letters that were sent out... do we know whether people have gotten those yet? I've been checking my mailbox like crazy

3788 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"surfy surf" said:

@akistotle said:

@"Leah M B" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@mcglz_64 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

No news from uci?

13286 karma

@"Radhika." Yeah everyone got them last week, since then it has been silence on the forums. So if you didn't get one yet - I'd ASSUME you missed that wave (so did I)

@westcoastbestcoast Nope, no word from anyone for like the past two weeks. Just dead silence. I'm starting to just not care, I think I'll just apply for a job at McDonalds. I hear their managers can make like $17 an hour...

• Radhika.Radhika. Member
    214 karma

oh thank god. although I live in Ohio......... would that mean I might get it today? Please say no