Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need A 20-25 PT increase. Any advise?

babybartels2babybartels2 Alum Member
edited April 2018 in General 40 karma

I need a 20-25 pt increase from my diagnostic test and I have a little over 3 months. I'm willing to put in all the work. I already have a head start on the course. Any advise on how to get there? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

Can you break down your score in each section? The strategy for a 10 or 20 point increase in LG is different than that of LR or RC. Also are you getting these questions wrong in blind review too or just timed?

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited April 2018 3072 karma

@babybartels2 said:
    I need a 20-25 pt increase from my diagnostic test and I have a little over 3 months. I'm willing to put in all the work. I already have a head start on the course. Any advise on how to get there? Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but 3 months is just not enough time, I don't think.

Memorize indicator words, question stems, argument forms. Know formal logic back and front. Know a lot of informal logic. Know some concepts/principles of Aristotelian logic. Drill LR by question type. Drill LG by game type. Do all LG multiple times. Do lots of RC. Do all the newer tests. Do a lot of everything.

I could go on, honestly.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

Agree with @goingfor99th

It's going to be really really hard to do that in 3 months. It's possible by September if you study insanely hard and everything fits right.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

Which 20-25 points are you talking about? 120 to 145 is a very different situation than 155 to 180. Where you at?

No matter the answer though, you're going to need to adjust your expectations. You can lower your goal score or extend your timeline, but that's really your only options here. I scored a 176 from a high 140's diagnostic range, so I know what the kind of improvement you're talking about looks like. And it does not look like what you think it looks like.

So this may come across as discouraging, but I also hope my example can serve as encouragement. These kind of improvements are rare, but they are possible. If you really are willing to do the work, then you can achieve your target score. You've just got to realize what the work even is first!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

We need to know your score breakdown. Also, I was able to get a 20 plus score improvement, but this came after little over 2 years of extended study. It may take you faster, or it may take you longer to get there. Especially in the beginning you shouldn't limit yourself to just three months. You should study as needed to achieve your goal as opposed to forcing a strict deadline. People learn at different paces and it may take you longer.

• babybartels2babybartels2 Alum Member
    40 karma

@keets993 said:
    Can you break down your score in each section? The strategy for a 10 or 20 point increase in LG is different than that of LR or RC. Also are you getting these questions wrong in blind review too or just timed?

LG and RC are my weakest sections so far with -13 for LG and -17 for RC. I scored in the 140's. Aiming for 160 or higher.

40 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    Which 20-25 points are you talking about? 120 to 145 is a very different situation than 155 to 180. Where you at?

No matter the answer though, you're going to need to adjust your expectations. You can lower your goal score or extend your timeline, but that's really your only options here. I scored a 176 from a high 140's diagnostic range, so I know what the kind of improvement you're talking about looks like. And it does not look like what you think it looks like.

So this may come across as discouraging, but I also hope my example can serve as encouragement. These kind of improvements are rare, but they are possible. If you really are willing to do the work, then you can achieve your target score. You've just got to realize what the work even is first!

I scored in the low 140's and aiming for 160 or higher. I'm willing to put in the work so please drop some gems on who you achieved yours!

40 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    We need to know your score breakdown. Also, I was able to get a 20 plus score improvement, but this came after little over 2 years of extended study. It may take you faster, or it may take you longer to get there. Especially in the beginning you shouldn't limit yourself to just three months. You should study as needed to achieve your goal as opposed to forcing a strict deadline. People learn at different paces and it may take you longer.

LG and RC are my weakest sections so far with -13 for LG and -17 for RC. I scored in the low 140's. Aiming for 160 or higher.

40 karma

@goingfor99th said:

@babybartels2 said:

Sorry, but 3 months is just not enough time, I don't think.

Memorize indicator words, question stems, argument forms. Know formal logic back and front. Know a lot of informal logic. Know some concepts/principles of Aristotelian logic. Drill LR by question type. Drill LG by game type. Do all LG multiple times. Do lots of RC. Do all the newer tests. Do a lot of everything.

I could go on, honestly.

Thank you ! i have already started with the indicators and argument forms. Never thought about doing LG multiple times except BR of course but i'll try that in my next pt.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

LG and RC are my weakest sections so far with -13 for LG and -17 for RC. I scored in the 140's. Aiming for 160 or higher.

So the good news is that this is definitely achievable if you put the work in, either by June or September. First of all, I would stop taking PT's at this time and go back to the basics. Definetly go through the core curriculum, again if you haven't, and take your time. In order to get into the 160s you have to master the fundamentals: argument structure, grammar, valid and invalid argument forms, lawgic, etc. Logic games is the most learnable section on the test, and multiple people have been able to consistently go 0 or -2 under timed conditions by doing the fullproof method because logic games are extremely repetitive in their patterns. As for RC, there's a lot of gains to be made. How's your LR? LR and RC are related and getting good at argument structure and grammar in LR will help bring that RC score down. Don't do any more PT's until you're done going through the course, it won't be beneficial. I also want to state that blind review is one of the most beneficial things to your lsat studies and it shouldn't be overlooked.

There's also this discussion that discusses in more detail the strategies for getting in the 160s https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/11756/how-to-score-a-160

40 karma

@keets993 said:

So the good news is that this is definitely achievable if you put the work in, either by June or September. First of all, I would stop taking PT's at this time and go back to the basics. Definetly go through the core curriculum, again if you haven't, and take your time. In order to get into the 160s you have to master the fundamentals: argument structure, grammar, valid and invalid argument forms, lawgic, etc. Logic games is the most learnable section on the test, and multiple people have been able to consistently go 0 or -2 under timed conditions by doing the fullproof method because logic games are extremely repetitive in their patterns. As for RC, there's a lot of gains to be made. How's your LR? LR and RC are related and getting good at argument structure and grammar in LR will help bring that RC score down. Don't do any more PT's until you're done going through the course, it won't be beneficial. I also want to state that blind review is one of the most beneficial things to your lsat studies and it shouldn't be overlooked.

There's also this discussion that discusses in more detail the strategies for getting in the 160s https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/11756/how-to-score-a-160

Thank you so much! this is very helpful!

• seharris14seharris14 Alum Member
    100 karma

I agree with keets993 I'd say. This will not be easy at all, but it is doable! You should not continue to take PTs until you have worked much more with the basics. Focus on using the Core Curriculum to attack the test part by part and improve in speed and accuracy in each section. Taking full LSATs won't be helpful until you've done that and know what strategies to use for each section and question type. I studied for about 6 months, but just over 3 months in I was still scoring in the low 150s. When I got 7sage Starter and learned how to really study, took the test more seriously (it's a real challenge unlike any I had ever faced) studying smarter and harder for about 2 and a half months, my score improved 21 points to my highest score. Believe in yourself and dedicate time to this every day. If it might help, here is my encouragement post :) https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/14063/first-lowest-pt-150-highest-pt-171-encouragement

Put in the work and stay strong!

40 karma

@seharris14 said:
    I agree with keets993 I'd say. This will not be easy at all, but it is doable! You should not continue to take PTs until you have worked much more with the basics. Focus on using the Core Curriculum to attack the test part by part and improve in speed and accuracy in each section. Taking full LSATs won't be helpful until you've done that and know what strategies to use for each section and question type. I studied for about 6 months, but just over 3 months in I was still scoring in the low 150s. When I got 7sage Starter and learned how to really study, took the test more seriously (it's a real challenge unlike any I had ever faced) studying smarter and harder for about 2 and a half months, my score improved 21 points to my highest score. Believe in yourself and dedicate time to this every day. If it might help, here is my encouragement post :) https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/14063/first-lowest-pt-150-highest-pt-171-encouragement

Put in the work and stay strong!

Thank you so much for your words! that means a lot honestly. I'm studying everyday while making sure I don't burn out. I'll be back in 2-3 months with an update!

• LAWYEREDLAWYERED Alum Member
    335 karma

@babybartels2 I am in the same boat as you--I am trying to improve my score by 20 in three months. I am currently at a 145. Since you posted this about two months ago, I was hoping you could let us know how you're doing? Have you gotten close to your goal of a score increase of 20-25 points?

40 karma

@LAWYERED said:
    @babybartels2 I am in the same boat as you--I am trying to improve my score by 20 in three months. I am currently at a 145. Since you posted this about two months ago, I was hoping you could let us know how you're doing? Have you gotten close to your goal of a score increase of 20-25 points?

Hey! just seeing this but i was able to improve about 10-15 pts average. But i feel that's because i didn't put in as much work as i wanted or should have. I'm working full time.. Looking back its definitely doable! how is yours going so far?

• arman_65arman_65 Alum Member
    252 karma

in addition to all the great advice above I also recommend you pick up the LSAT Trainer for RC. I went from -10 min in RC to -4 avg in a week thanks to the trainer.

40 karma

@arman_65 said:
    in addition to all the great advice above I also recommend you pick up the LSAT Trainer for RC. I went from -10 min in RC to -4 avg in a week thanks to the trainer.

oh wow in one week? I'll be sure to check it out. Thank you !

• LAWYEREDLAWYERED Alum Member
    335 karma

@babybartels2 said:

@LAWYERED said:

Hey! just seeing this but i was able to improve about 10-15 pts average. But i feel that's because i didn't put in as much work as i wanted or should have. I'm working full time.. Looking back its definitely doable! how is yours going so far?

Hi! Yeah, I'm also working full-time. I'm still making my way through the CC though...Will hopefully see improvement in August when I start PT-ing. (Glad to hear that you made a lot of improvement!)