Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scholarship Neg. w/o Much Leverage

ChapmanECChapmanEC Alum Member
edited April 2018 in Law School Admissions 85 karma

Should I bother asking for more $ even though I don't have much leverage as far as other schools with better offers? I haven't paid the fist seat deposit yet, so maybe that would be considered? Looking at the law school numbers site, two people have been accepted after my group with lower LSAT and GPA and were offered the same amount...

Thoughts?

Comments

• doyeradoyera Alum Member
    edited April 2018 47 karma

I've done a lot of research on this and overwhelmingly the consensus is no, it is not tacky, and is actually totally expected. The worst that can happen is they decline to offer you more $. Read some articles about how to tactfully craft your request, though.

• ChapmanECChapmanEC Alum Member
    85 karma

@doyera said:
    I've done a lot of research on this and overwhelmingly the consensus is no, it is not tacky, and is actually totally expected. The worst that can happen is they decline to offer you more $. Read some articles about how to tactfully craft your request, though.

Thanks! That's along the line of what I was thinking - worst that can happen is they say is "no."

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

If you have been accepted at any peer schools without scholarships, you could go to them and tell them about your main school's offer to try to get a better offer from them as leverage.

They might only let you negotiate once so you want to make it count. That said it definitely won't hurt.