Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rant!

mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
edited April 2018 in General 891 karma

Got waitlisted at William & Mary last week. I admit I applied late and my stats are right in their medians. In addition I am URM with substantial work experience. Anyway, I log on to LSN today and see a 154 with a 3.4 GPA undergrad get accepted without a waitlist offer??? We even submitted our apps around the same time.

Here's the accepted student's profile: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/NCO1996

Sorry - I know this sounds completely narcissistic and obnoxious but...seriously? This whole cycle is just getting at me. If anyone has insight or would care to rant about this cycle...feel free to do so here.

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Ugh, so frustrating. Totally get it. We've all been there. So sorry! But I'm sure you'll end up with a good option. Keep your chin up!

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

It was just so annoying to see when my numbers were much higher, with work experience (which is apparently very important this year, yet this other applicant is still in undergrad), URM status (both of us) and both our apps were submitted around the same time. I don't mean to sound obnoxious but it's just so frustrating, especially when I'm still waiting on other schools to get back to me.

I've had many people read my PS and supplemental essays and have gotten glowing feedback on them so hopefully those weren't negative factors in my application. I just don't know anymore!

• Lsat taker22Lsat taker22 Alum Member
    315 karma

Maybe yield-protection?

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

Just saw they also got some $$. I guess it could be yield protection - I'm not sure how YP works really. My numbers are right in their range though, but it's possible?

• Lsat taker22Lsat taker22 Alum Member
    315 karma

@mcglz_64 said:
    Just saw they also got some $$. I guess it could be yield protection - I'm not sure how YP works really. My numbers are right in their range though, but it's possible?

Yes! I'd say that's a real possibility. YP happens to the best of us. Perhaps, sending W&M a LOCI that showed your commitment to the school would help a bunch!

• marcosmcqueenmarcosmcqueen Member
    edited April 2018 241 karma

We don't know anything about this person's story. It seems like someone at the school saw something in them that wasn't reflected in the quantifiable portions of their app. I'm sure that someone at a great school will feel the same about you.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@mcglz_64 said:

Yield protection is always possible if they are not absolutely convinced you would attend because if better options if accepted. That is certainly possible for a URM at both medians. I think it has played a role in my applications(although it's just a guess). My LSAT and GPA combination gave me above even odds at the entire Top 14 except Yale. That said, my why Xs at Michigan and Duke were particularly strong. I had non-fakeable ties to both universities (their research areas and their physical locations). They are my best offers. The only other schools I have even been accepted at are Columbia which along with Chicago, Harvard, Yale, and Stanford is known for not worrying too much about yield and Washington University in St Louis where I had been in contact with them since last March and interviewed in October.

That said there is also the possibility of randomness. Admissions officers could have made a mistake not accepting you or accepting this other person. They are fallible and operating under time pressure.

There is also the potential for nepotism. Maybe this other applicant has an inside track at William and Mary (alumni of their undergrad or child of law school alumni for example).

Last and probably most likely, we might just not have full information. Maybe William and Mary is lifting their medians which makes you relatively uninteresting to them, but something other than numbers makes this other candidate special. We don't have to look to yield protection or nepotism when there are simpler explanations available like randomness and strengths not redlected by numbers.

• grace.tang.cagrace.tang.ca Free Trial Member
    77 karma

Honestly, half the cycle is left up to fate and luck I swear. My original goal was a lower T10. I am way beyond all their stats got waitlisted. I was crushed as I worked so hard on the LSAT to get in there. But then I got a full ride at another T10... so who knows what goes on to be honest. It's not you, sometimes it's just luck, and you did you best and should be proud of your accomplishments!