Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Law School News

Comments

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@goingfor99th said:

@mcglz_64 said:
    Wouldn't Yale send out rejects right away? I saw the process (Thanks Asha!) on the blog and I ASSUMED the immediate rejects would not go through the faculty read.... also I could just be engaging in wishful thinking.

No, they hold them all for some reason. Yale tends to reject in really big waves towards the very end of the cycle.

End of cycle being end of april?

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:

@goingfor99th said:

@mcglz_64 said:
    Wouldn't Yale send out rejects right away? I saw the process (Thanks Asha!) on the blog and I ASSUMED the immediate rejects would not go through the faculty read.... also I could just be engaging in wishful thinking.

No, they hold them all for some reason. Yale tends to reject in really big waves towards the very end of the cycle.

End of cycle being end of april?

Mid to late April will be the end for Yale.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@goingfor99th said:

I'm ready to ride the wave with the rest of y'all :smile:. Except @goingfor99th of course!

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:

@goingfor99th said:

I'm ready to ride the wave with the rest of y'all :smile:. Except @goingfor99th of course!

I hope you all know I still wake up every morning in disbelief. lol

edited April 2018 3072 karma

I figure all you law school junkies might want to see this?
    https://s17.postimg.org/6v7z5ulr3/IMAG3421.jpg
    https://s17.postimg.org/z83gwef7z/IMAG3422.jpg

I'm pretty sure I had already received my three 4s when I visited YLS on February 8th. I think my tour guide dropped hints that I would be admitted.

3788 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    I'm pretty sure I had already received my three 4s when I visited YLS on February 8th. I think my tour guide dropped hints that I would be admitted.

The three fours are a scoring system they use to evaluate your profile? How does that work?

3521 karma

@goingfor99th Maybe if I visualize that letter with my name on it hard enough, I'll get admitted :sweat_smile:

3072 karma

@goingfor99th said:

The three fours are a scoring system they use to evaluate your profile? How does that work?

Asha describes it on her blog: https://law.yale.edu/admissions/jd-admissions/ask-asha/secret.

It's pretty interesting.

• ZizouFriedaZizouFrieda Free Trial Member
    58 karma

@goingfor99th said:

I figure all you law school junkies might want to see this?

drool
    Thanks for sharing! I want one!!

3072 karma

DLS at Stanford today. Good game, folks!

• EvetteCeeEvetteCee Alum Member
    224 karma

Has anyone heard anything from USC?

• goin2fargoin2far Alum Member
    11 karma

I got dinged back in March :( > @EvetteCee said:

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@EvetteCee I was WL’d in early March. :-/

And another one for the stack, WL at Michigan. Sigh. The email was so nice! I wish they didn’t make me like them so much. Now down to just Northwestern and UCI left. I think I’m pretty sold on waiting another cycle, retaking LSAT and trying again. Unless I get a surprise admit at NU with a boat load of cash (hahahahaha), I’m likely headed back to studying.

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

What?! What about ucla @"Leah M B" ?

58 karma

@EvetteCee said:

Yes, heard early from USC.

@"Leah M B" —me, too, for the Michigan waitlist yesterday. Really disappointed.

3521 karma

@goingfor99th said:

How'd you find that out??? I'm still "Your file has been submitted for review." on the application status checker :sweat:

@"Paul Caint" said:

@goingfor99th said:

How'd you find that out??? I'm still "Your file has been submitted for review." on the application status checker :sweat:

If you are WLed/rejected, the part where it says "Your file has been submitted for review" will go blank and above it in red text you will see, "A decision letter has been sent."

I went complete 12/12, for reference.

3521 karma

@goingfor99th How do you know it's definitely a rejection/waitlist tho

3072 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @goingfor99th How do you know it's definitely a rejection/waitlist tho

As far as I know, everyone who's received a DLS also received a WL/rejection. Acceptances are calls or emails.

3521 karma
    3072 karma

s'okay. :]

1270 karma

Sorry, what’s DLS stand for?

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

@June2018Taker said:

Decision letter sent

3072 karma

@June2018Taker said:

"Decision Letter Sent"

1270 karma

Thanks!

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Touring one of my top choice Wait-Lists today...hopefully it goes well!

891 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the visit!

3072 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

Good luck!

(Which one?!)

13286 karma

@goingfor99th said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Good luck!

(Which one?!)

UCLA

The class I sat in on was awesome. The teacher was SUPER cool

891 karma

I hope they pull up your file

13286 karma

@mcglz_64 said:

He did while I was sitting at the table! Lol he seemed interested that I had three vastly different LSAT scores

891 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@mcglz_64 said:

He did while I was sitting at the table! Lol he seemed interested that I had three vastly different LSAT scores

Omg! So obviously I have no idea how this went IRL but I have good feelings for you!!! Hopefully this results in an admit!!

4423 karma

Waitlisted at Penn.

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@mcglz_64 said:

Hope you get good news soon!

3521 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    Waitlisted at Penn.

Dang lol. Yield protection you figure?

How is the rest of your cycle looking rn?

4423 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:

Waitlisted at Penn.

Yeah, I figured it would be tough to convince Virginia or Penn I would go since I'm from Michigan so if any of MVP was going to get me it was probably always going to be Michigan.

My cycle is looking clearer and clearer.

In at Columbia

In at Michigan with $150,000

In at Duke with just over $100,000. I sent them an email asking them to negotiate to match and Michigan which I noted is substantially cheaper both because of the scholarship offer and because I could save money by living with family at Michigan as well as having in state tuition and they say they will let me know once they have reevaluated.

In at WUSTL with $150,000.

Waitlisted: Harvard, Penn, Virginia

Decision Letter Sent at Stanford so waitlist or a rejection in the mail.

Interviewed by a person: Chicago

Interviewed by an automatic system at Northwestern and now Cornell.

Still waiting on Yale and NYU

So barring an acceptance from Yale which would make for a tough decision, a acceptance withsome serious money at NYU or Chicago which seems less and less likely, I think I am almost inevitably going to end up at Michigan or if Duke negotiates maybe Duke.

I'm happy with attending Michigan with the current money, but I'd still like to find some leverage to try and drag a couple more thousand dollars out of them. It might not be possible though.

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

Not trying to be a downer, but this late in the cycle after being "in review" since late December, is it even realistic to expect/hope for a sheer acceptance? Or is it almost 100% WL/ rejection at this point?

3788 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:

Waitlisted at Penn.

Yeah, I figured it would be tough to convince Virginia or Penn I would go since I'm from Michigan so if any of MVP was going to get me it was probably always going to be Michigan.

In at Columbia

In at Duke with just over $100,000. I sent them an email asking them to negotiate to match and Michigan which I noted is substantially cheaper both because of the scholarship offer and because I could save money by living with family at Michigan as well as having in state tuition and they say they will let me know once they have reevaluated.

So barring an acceptance from Yale which would make for a tough decision, a acceptance withsome serious money at NYU or Chicago which seems less and less likely, I think I am almost inevitably going to end up at Michigan or if Duke negotiates maybe Duke.

I'm happy with attending Michigan with the current money, but I'd still like to find some leverage to try and drag a couple more thousand dollars out of them. It might not be possible though.

Michigan is a great school and its great to hear you got a good offer. Personally, I would just be completly fine going to michigan with $$$ than having to pay potentially six figure loans accounting for COA. Even t14 grads say they underestimate how much debt affected their livelihood. Unless you have special goals like academia, or need to do bigfed in DC or premier lit boutiques, getting money in Michigan is supremely ideal.

And that library/underground library is incredible.

891 karma

@PearsonSpecterLittUp said:
    Not trying to be a downer, but this late in the cycle after being "in review" since late December, is it even realistic to expect/hope for a sheer acceptance? Or is it

Wondering the same

• @"Leah M B" said:
    @EvetteCee I was WL’d in early March. :-/

And another one for the stack, WL at Michigan. Sigh. The email was so nice! I wish they didn’t make me like them so much. Now down to just Northwestern and UCI left. I think I’m pretty sold on waiting another cycle, retaking LSAT and trying again. Unless I get a surprise admit at NU with a boat load of cash (hahahahaha), I’m likely headed back to studying.

Same here girl, same here.

4423 karma

@PearsonSpecterLittUp said:
    Not trying to be a downer, but this late in the cycle after being "in review" since late December, is it even realistic to expect/hope for a sheer acceptance? Or is it almost 100% WL/ rejection at this point?

It is skewing more toward waitlists and rejections since they have to get everyone a decision, but there are usually a few late acceptances. People do get in off waitlists(some schools let more than others).

4423 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:

Waitlisted at Penn.

In at Columbia

Michigan is a great school and its great to hear you got a good offer. Personally, I would just be completly fine going to michigan with $$$ than having to pay potentially six figure loans accounting for COA. Even t14 grads say they underestimate how much debt affected their livelihood. Unless you have special goals like academia, or need to do bigfed in DC or premier lit boutiques, getting money in Michigan is supremely ideal.

I'm happy with it. But if I hadn't got it my cycle would have looked pretty bad instead of having the one really good option. And Michigan is definitely the best location for me to get money. It's also probably not a coincidence that I got it there and am from Michigan.

@goingfor99th said:

Did they tell you the story behind it on your tour if you had one? They promised the major donor to the law school that they would build everything above ground in the same style with the same stone as a condition of his gift. It is harder to get that stone now since the quarry it comes from is not in operation. While they probably could have used that as an excuse to breach the contract, instead they decided to follow it to the letter and build the library underground. But they wanted it to have lots of natural light which is why the green carpeting(apparently pretty reflective) was chosen and why there is what looks almost like a castle moat going around the law school to let light in.

@"Paul Caint" said:

Waitlisted at Penn.

In at Columbia

I'm happy with it. But if I hadn't got it my cycle would have looked pretty bad instead of having the one really good option. And Michigan is definitely the best location for me to get money. It's also probably not a coincidence that I got it there and am from Michigan.

@goingfor99th said:

Did they tell you the story behind it on your tour if you had one? They promised the major donor to the law school that they would build everything above ground in the same style with the same stone as a condition of his gift. It is harder to get that stone now since the quarry it comes from is not in operation. While they probably could have used that as an excuse to breach the contract, instead they decided to follow it to the letter and build the library underground. But they wanted it to have lots of natural light which is why the green carpeting(apparently pretty reflective) was chosen and why there is what looks almost like a castle moat going around the law school to let light in.

They didn't tell me that story, but that's great context. I took pictures with my phone the entire time I was on the tour of that library. It's an architectural masterpiece.

The above-ground portion of Michigan's library is remarkably similar to Yale's. They're easily my two favorites, with Michigan having a slight edge.

3788 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:

Waitlisted at Penn.

In at Columbia

@goingfor99th said:

Did you hear about vandy's 67% biglaw clerkship numbers. This school definitely hold its weight with t14 schools

58 karma
    891 karma

Any updates today? I'm expecting/hoping for some waves this week.

3788 karma

@mcglz_64 said:
    Any updates today? I'm expecting/hoping for some waves this week.

No news on my waitlist from BU. Waiting on yale too :(

13286 karma

Circkets....