Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Georgetown

mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
in General 891 karma

I’ve heard from the inter webs that Georgetown only mails acceptances (as in, no email or call) is that true?

Comments

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

When I was admitted it was only mail yes. No e-mail, call, or anything.

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:

Nerve wracking! I’ve been lax with my postal mail for a while because I thought everyone would email (regardless of decision). Thanks!

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

@mcglz_64 said:

@"Paul Caint" said:

Nerve wracking! I’ve been lax with my postal mail for a while because I thought everyone would email (regardless of decision). Thanks!

GT's acceptance letter is very deliberate. The type of paper, the size of the letter, the text, the print, the little space for a handwritten note at the end. I really appreciated receiving the hard copy before the email.

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

@goingfor99th said:

@mcglz_64 said:

@"Paul Caint" said:

GT's acceptance letter is very deliberate. The type of paper, the size of the letter, the text, the print, the little space for a handwritten note at the end. I really appreciated receiving the hard copy before the email.

Sounds luxurious and thoughtful. Maybe one day I’ll get one and see for myself!

• ZizouFriedaZizouFrieda Free Trial Member
    58 karma

It was thoughtful and classy, sure. But I specifically told them in my interview that I was going to be traveling overseas for several weeks, so I was kept in suspense until I got home. It also means I'm dashing to make (very expensive) arrangements to visit at the last minute before deposit deadlines instead of being able to attend the most recent admitted students weekend. Classy, but inefficient.

3521 karma

Yeah honestly I found it really inefficient haha. Also I didn't think it was too luxurious, it's a very small letter printed on nice but thin paper. Nice letterhead and hand-written letter, but a lot of schools I've gotten into have sent hand-written letters, full booklets and pamphlets, and stickers in the mail ALONG with e-mail and phone-call notifications of admission.

Idk, G-Town is known to be rather stingy with spending (especially with merit aid) and I think it showed in the letter I received...

Sorry I'm just kinda voicing my opinions here haha.

3072 karma

Yeah, they're a bit stingy with merit aid to say the least. lol

edited April 2018 3521 karma

@goingfor99th trying to contain my resentment :smile:

3072 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @goingfor99th trying to contain my resentment :smile:

I liked the simplicity of the letter, but I could see how your resentment would cause you to consider it a cheap way out. lolol

edited April 2018 3072 karma

Apparently they really dislike it if you don't kiss their ass. Georgetown is #14 but probably has more lay prestige than all T14 except the Ivies, S, and arguably a couple others.

They sent me a 'name your price email' and then offered me $0.

3521 karma

@goingfor99th Yeaaahh. It was honestly in my Top 3 until they gave me a frankly insulting merit package. Now it's not even close to a consider.

3072 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @goingfor99th Yeaaahh. It was honestly in my Top 3 until they gave me a frankly insulting merit package. Now it's not even close to a consider.

I was shocked at their offer, but I think that's the point. ;]

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    edited April 2018 3788 karma

Not that i got in to any of theee schools but it seems Cornell is vastly superior than gtown in terms of biglaw and plus cornell has the lay prestige of an ivy

3072 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    Not that i got in to any of theee schools but it seems Cornell is vastly superior than gtown in terms of biglaw and plus cornell has the lay prestige of an ivy

GT produces great outcomes but the school is massive. This changes the dynamic of the entire school as compared to a smaller school like Cornell.