Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powerscore Workbooks

carlos.raiz23carlos.raiz23 Alum Member
in General 195 karma

Has anyone used the powerscore lsat workbooks? I wanted to know if it would be a good idea to purchase them and use them solely for drilling or should I just upgrade my 7sage package? I currently have the Starter version and just finished doing the CC.

Thank you for the help.

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I used the LR and Logic Games. Bibles prior to 7sage. I didn't need the help in LR, but the LR bible didn't seem quite as thorough as the core curriculum.

In logic games the techniques felt fairly different than 7sage. I don't think it would be good to try to learn them at the same time. I guess you could just drill on the games in the powerscore workbook using 7sage methods, but that sounds to me like a poor substitute for foolproofing using 7 sages free logic games explanations, and since the powerscore books probably use real LSAT questions you wouldn't get any benefit you wouldn't already get by doing foolproofing those games.

I would save the money and use it either to buy or print more PTs, to upgrade, to get the admissions course later, or to apply to extra schools eventually. That said maybe I'm underestimating the difference between the Bibles and the Workbooks.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

Upgrade would be the better option. I looked at those Powerscore workbooks several years ago; they are basically bundles of drills and real PT materials with explanations. Powerscore might have decided to substantially update their contents, but I highly doubt it will be anything other than the materials already mentioned.

Upgrading will give you access to more real PTs and explanations. You will be able to access a greater amount of materials and print them as many times as you want.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited April 2018 3072 karma

Just upgrade 7Sage membership and use the question bank and LR/LG sorted by type. I think 7Sage has that stuff, right?

Cambridge LSAT is essentially the same thing as PS Workbooks. Everything Powerscore is a huge ripoff other than the Bibles. The Bibles are useful, but mainly in the sense that they provide you with a language through which to engage with the LSAT.

• carlos.raiz23carlos.raiz23 Alum Member
    195 karma

@FixedDice thank you for the responses. I guess my question was like in terms of drilling for the LR,LG, and RC sections would the work books be good for drilling or should I just upgrade my 7Sage package. Because I have the starter package and i only have access to easy problem sets for drilling and I thought by getting the work book it could help me for drilling .For the PT that were included I don’t want to touch them till I feel completely ready to use them since there is a finite amount of them. Or should I disregard all of that and just upgrade because they other packages to include harder problem sets and i can just use for that drilling plus I would get more PT to use for timed tests.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

@"carlos.raiz23" said:
    I guess my question was like in terms of drilling for the LR,LG, and RC sections would the work books be good for drilling or should I just upgrade my 7Sage package. Because I have the starter package and i only have access to easy problem sets for drilling and I thought by getting the work book it could help me for drilling .For the PT that were included I don’t want to touch them till I feel completely ready to use them since there is a finite amount of them. Or should I disregard all of that and just upgrade because they other packages to include harder problem sets and i can just use for that drilling plus I would get more PT to use for timed tests.

I still say upgrading is better. If my memory is correct and Powerscore didn't substantially update its workbooks, Powerscore workbooks draw materials primarily from PTs numbered from 20s to 40s - that is a large overlap with the Starter package. So either way you will end up using materials from your PTs anyways. Upgrading will give you access to more materials; the workbooks won't.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Honestly? The PS bible for LG isn't going to teach you anything that 7sage didn't already (and then some). I started my journey with self study and the Bibles, before I ever knew about 7sage. the 7sage method works so much better, and goes over much better methods. Part of what led me to 7sage was because I would beat my brains out trying to understand why I failed miserably at another game section in the book, hop online, and watch the 7sage free explanations. After constantly doing this (I went through the PS LG book two and a half times, cover to cover), I asked why I wasn't just doing 7sage to begin with. Joined and never looked back.
    You'd be better off spending the money on buying books full of PT's and using material to quiz from. They sell volumes of actual LSAT tests on Amazon, and the price isn't too bad for 10 tests. Leave enough to PT before your testing, of course. But your money would be better spent doing that, or upgrading here.
    Also, if you bought the PS books and read them, it might lead to confusion on methods. They do differ a bit. If 7sage method is working for you, stick with it.

If I had it all to do over, I would have just paid for more 7sage and skipped the books altogether.

195 karma

@xadrianas6x thank you for your response, but what I had in mind are the powerscore workbooks not the bible themselves where they explain their version of figuring out problems. Or is here no difference between the two? I thought the workbooks simply just had sections of which I could use to drill or practice.

2689 karma

Ahh.. I see. Yes, the workbooks are sort of different, but tied to the PS Bibles. I looked them up on Amazon, and looked through the table of contents covered. Seems like they just drill the methods used in the book (think of JY's drills on how to set up a game board, only in the PS way; the Bibles contain a small number of these drills, too), and they have questions for LG out of 10 games. For 30-40 bucks for the book, unless you were intent on trying their methods for setting up the games, finding inferences, etc, you'd be better off buying a collection of 10 full LSAT games and drilling from those. The "10 actual official LSAT preptest" volvume books from anywhere from $14.00 to $25 on Amazon. That way, at least, you get full games and can use the questions for practicing LG, RC,LR, and even the writing sample questions are in there.

195 karma

@xadrianas6x I see but regardless i think at this point ima just upgrade my 7sage account. Do you know which PT are good for drilling for beginners and which PT's i should keep for when I start doing timed PT's?

• terrynicholasjterrynicholasj Free Trial Member
    188 karma

I studied the power score books religiously front to back for 3 weeks. Like, full time, very intensely (it was really the only true committed studying I did for the LSAT). I scored a 161 on my first full timed practice exam. I believe that the powerscore books are wonderful. In particular, their 13 sections for the type of logical reasoning made sense, and their approach to reading comprehension was alright. I sort of liked the logic games approach, however, the 7sage method is definitely clearer. Whether I benefited from understanding both methods is a toss-up. In the end I would say it was beneficial to understand both methods as they both have their pros and cons. It doesn't take long to do the powerscore books, and for me it was well worth my time. I did those and then used 7sage just for the LG sections, in particular the videos. These two methods combined got me a 171 in February, for what that's worth.

• terrynicholasjterrynicholasj Free Trial Member
    188 karma

Sorry to throw in that wrench hahaha. And I was refering to the bible not the workbooks

2689 karma

That's good, too. I really like the question banks here. :)
    They say to keep more recent ones for PTing closer to test date, and to use older ones for drilling. I'll let someone who has a successful outcome answer that one.

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

I studied using only the PS Bibles, which got me a 166.
    So I just recently started 7sage!!

For me, the LG Bible got me to -0 on Games, so I found it helpful, BUT I HAVE NOT DONE ANY GAMES YET WITH 7SAGE, (just started the CC) so cannot compare the two.

What I can tell you is the RC ONE was USELESS TO ME! I DID NOT IMPROVE EVEN ONE QUESTION after going through the entire bible.

Anyways, I don't know if this helps but hopefully it does haha
    best of luck :)