Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GPA improvement effect

OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
in General 2531 karma

Just a quick question:
Assuming all other factors remain constant, what is better for admissions, applying in November with a 3.66 GPA or waiting until January to apply with a 3.7? (GPA will improve over the semester)

GPA admissions decision:
  1. November vs January15 votes
    1. November w/3.66
      60.00%
    2. January w/3.7
      40.00%

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Apply early in the cycle. It demonstrates interest. And frankly if they are going to let you in with a 3.7 they probably won't reject you before your fall grades are in with a 3.66.

If you apply early and then promptly send your updated grades you will get the best of both worlds. Although you will still lack the years of post undergrad work experience which schools increasingly want.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I think applying early, but like the minute your transcript is available, send it to LSAC and email every school you applied to letting them know about your grade improvement.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited April 2018 3652 karma

One school I applied to would not mark my application as complete until I submitted my last quarter transcript. Either way most schools probably aren’t gonna review your app until months after you submit so may as well throw it in early.

• Return On InferenceReturn On Inference Alum Member
    503 karma

Unless the 3.7 will jump you from 25th percentile to 50th or from 50th percentile to 75th, I wouldn't stress too much about the difference.

Apply early and notify schools of the grade increase asap.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Apply early and update schools on your GPA improvement.

Some schools may ask for an updated transcript around January anyway.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Thanks for the feedback all :)