Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mini Rant/ Need Advice

migx1192migx1192 Free Trial Member

I applied super late in the cycle, almost a week away from deadlines because I decided to take the Feb LSAT. I applied to only 4 schools, not T-14 and I have only heard back from one school. They're asking for a $500 deposit on 4/20 and I'm not sure if I'll hear back from the other schools by then ... so I'm freaking out. I really don't want to lose $500 if I make the deposit and then am accepted to another school. But, what if I get rejected from the schools or put on WL, and didn't submit the deposit and end up having no where to attend this fall.

I'm currently waiting for USC, Loyola and UCI (all California schools). USC says my app is under review. Loyola just says my app is complete and I have no clue what UCI is doing.

I know I put myself in this position by submitting so late, but now my anxiety is super high. I guess my question is do you guys think I'll hear back from the other schools in < 12 days?

Comments

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Wait until 4/20. If you don't hear back by then, make the deposit; you can renege if you get admitted somewhere later.

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    774 karma

Do you need to go this coming year? With your score/gpa/ps, would you have a better chance or the same chance of getting into schools if you reapply in September? I only say that because $500 is a lot to lose unless it is weighed out by other factors. If you are happy to go to the one school you have heard back from, you are willing to potentially lose the $500, and you want to go to school this coming year, then make the deposit.

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

I'm in a similar boat, with a deadline coming up on the 16th. I agree with @"Paul Caint" - wait until the deadline to deposit. Worst case scenario is you have that deposit in. At that point, if you get accepted to another school after you deposit - call the school with that 4/20 deadline or look into their fine-print. Lot's of times, there's a clause in there that states a date you can withdraw by to get SOME (if not all) of the deposit money back.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

It’s also possible to ask for an extension on the deposit deadline (I just received one myself from a school with an early deposit date).

I applied to UCI at the end of February and have not heard from them either. FYI, USC seems to be not very open to late applications. It looks like they don’t really accept people past February. You never know, but good chance that one will be a wait list at best, just based on timing.

I’d say give it a little more time, then maybe next week if you still don’t have any responses, ask if they will give you an extension until the end of April or something. And then if you still haven’t heard but you would want to go to that school that has accepted you, I’d deposit there.

• migx1192migx1192 Free Trial Member
    9 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    It’s also possible to ask for an extension on the deposit deadline (I just received one myself from a school with an early deposit date).

I applied to UCI at the end of February and have not heard from them either. FYI, USC seems to be not very open to late applications. It looks like they don’t really accept people past February. You never know, but good chance that one will be a wait list at best, just based on timing.

I’d say give it a little more time, then maybe next week if you still don’t have any responses, ask if they will give you an extension until the end of April or something. And then if you still haven’t heard but you would want to go to that school that has accepted you, I’d deposit there.

USC is my reach school, so I'm not really fretting too much about that one. It's Loyola and UCI that I want a quick answer from lol. Can I ask what you told admissions when requesting the extension?

9 karma

@mcglz_64 said:
    I'm in a similar boat, with a deadline coming up on the 16th. I agree with @"Paul Caint" - wait until the deadline to deposit. Worst case scenario is you have that deposit in. At that point, if you get accepted to another school after you deposit - call the school with that 4/20 deadline or look into their fine-print. Lot's of times, there's a clause in there that states a date you can withdraw by to get SOME (if not all) of the deposit money back.

It's such a stressful situtation. But thanks for this, I'll definitely check if theres any clauses indicating some kind of refund.

9 karma

@teamteamvicster said:
    Do you need to go this coming year? With your score/gpa/ps, would you have a better chance or the same chance of getting into schools if you reapply in September? I only say that because $500 is a lot to lose unless it is weighed out by other factors. If you are happy to go to the one school you have heard back from, you are willing to potentially lose the $500, and you want to go to school this coming year, then make the deposit.

I do want to go this upcoming fall. I'm pretty decided on that. And what you're saying, is exactly my dillema. I am considering the school where I was accepted, but, at the same time, I want to have all my options laid out infront of me, before making the decision of where to submit the deposit --- because I'm not sure I'm willing to just lose $500. Sigh :neutral:

8392 karma

@migx1192 said:

@"Leah M B" said:

USC is my reach school, so I'm not really fretting too much about that one. It's Loyola and UCI that I want a quick answer from lol. Can I ask what you told admissions when requesting the extension?

My situation was maybe a little unique. I asked WUSTL for the extension because their deposit was due on Monday the 9th and I was attending their ASW on April 5-7. I was still traveling (attended UCLA's ASW the same weekend, but didn't mention that haha) so I asked for an extension so I would have a little time to make it home after the trip and be able to ask follow up questions after ASW. They granted what I asked for, which was just a 1 week extension.

• ZizouFriedaZizouFrieda Free Trial Member
    58 karma

@"Leah M B" UCLA is one of my five final options, but I couldn’t attend the ASW, and instead had to visit during their spring break. Would you mind sharing a little bit about your impressions? I met with two students and the admissions staff, who were all wonderful, but have not been able to see a class or meet with any teaching faculty. Any observations you would be willing to share? I attended formal visits with USC, Berkeley, Georgetown, and Duke, so if you have any direct comparisons, those would be especially helpful. Thanks!

8392 karma

@ZizouFrieda said:
    @"Leah M B" UCLA is one of my five final options, but I couldn’t attend the ASW, and instead had to visit during their spring break. Would you mind sharing a little bit about your impressions? I met with two students and the admissions staff, who were all wonderful, but have not been able to see a class or meet with any teaching faculty. Any observations you would be willing to share? I attended formal visits with USC, Berkeley, Georgetown, and Duke, so if you have any direct comparisons, those would be especially helpful. Thanks!

I’ll PM you so we don’t hijack this thread! :)