Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

138 Diag, how far can I go?

lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
in General 938 karma

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and answer my post.

I have scored a 138 on my diagnostic, took the December 2017 lsat and got 147.

I was averaging 146 with a high of 152.

I work full time at a very busy litigation firm as a litigation paralegal. It was very hard to make time to study. I enrolled in a testmasters course but didn’t really learn much. I was always so drained after work to absorb anything he instructor said.

I’m planning on taking 4 months off of work to focus full time on the exam to retake (and use the 7sage LSAT program).

Is it possible to get to the 160-170 range?

I’ve mistakingly exhausted the last 20 practice tests.. didn’t realize that was a mistake until I came across 7sage. Considering this, will the 7sage course still be useful for me?

Thanks again.

Comments

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

If you put in the work, it's totally possible. It will probably take a while though, more than four months. I think 7Sage will be incredibly useful for you since you clearly need help with the fundamentals, as does everyone when they're first beginning. Many people will try to tell you that making a big leap is impossible but it's just not true as long as you work hard.

• ksh9880ksh9880 Member
    33 karma

Yeah man, I studied with Kaplan for the past year and scored 148, 150 and 149. My undergrad gpa is 3.98. I was a competitive chess player for years before switching to poker full-time. Suffice to say, there is no reason this test should be kicking my ass. Not given the time I have already invested.

I signed up for 7sage probably 6 weeks ago, and my fist TIMED diagnostics test (since completing the core curriculum) was 159. This was two days ago, and I haven’t even begun to fool-proof my logic games or target LR. Nonetheless, I feel better the past two days than ever before. Previously, I could not finish more than 20 or 21 questions on LR. Now, I’m not wasting so much time reading bogus answers choices because I know what I’m looking for. I filled up almost three 100-page notebooks studying the CC. If I can get my diagnostics up to 164-165, I will feel great about a 160+ come test day.

I also wasted over 20 practice tests. I still have 6 remaining, but I plan to retake the older tests -with a handicap. If you feel in your gut like something is wrong and you’re better than a 152 (like I do), don’t give up man. I almost threw up in my mouth after the last LSAT. I withdrew all my apps and devoted this entire year to studying. Taking the June LSAT and maybe September. Good luck.

We got this.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited April 2018 2689 karma

I haven't PTed since I started, focusing instead on finishing the CC. I am only a couple percent away from finishing the CC now and PTing again. LG held me up an extra week or so. I am nervous excited about that. I feel like things have clicked soooo much for me in the time in between before the CC and now nearing after CC. LG (especially in-out games) are still the bane of my existence (but better now), but after doing LR lessons, RC (which was one of my worst sections) is going incredibly smoothly. A massive turn around. All I need is a 10-11 point increase on PT's to be where I want to be (a 6 or 8 point increase could work though if it came to that). I think I have the minimum increase I need. I have never done so well on practice sections before. But I want to see if maybe I'm scoring more towards where I want to be.

I think I signed up about 4-5 months ago? So, yes.. I think big improvements can be done. I have worked and been going to school and all that while doing this, too. When I do my next PT, I will share with how it turned out in comparison. Right now, focusing on midterms. Yuck.

• lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    938 karma

@ksh9880 said:
    Yeah man, I studied with Kaplan for the past year and scored 148, 150 and 149. My undergrad gpa is 3.98. I was a competitive chess player for years before switching to poker full-time. Suffice to say, there is no reason this test should be kicking my ass. Not given the time I have already invested.

I signed up for 7sage probably 6 weeks ago, and my fist TIMED diagnostics test (since completing the core curriculum) was 159. This was two days ago, and I haven’t even begun to fool-proof my logic games or target LR. Nonetheless, I feel better the past two days than ever before. Previously, I could not finish more than 20 or 21 questions on LR. Now, I’m not wasting so much time reading bogus answers choices because I know what I’m looking for. I filled up almost three 100-page notebooks studying the CC. If I can get my diagnostics up to 164-165, I will feel great about a 160+ come test day.

I also wasted over 20 practice tests. I still have 6 remaining, but I plan to retake the older tests -with a handicap. If you feel in your gut like something is wrong and you’re better than a 152 (like I do), don’t give up man. I almost threw up in my mouth after the last LSAT. I withdrew all my apps and devoted this entire year to studying. Taking the June LSAT and maybe September. Good luck.

We got this.

Hey man, thanks for your response. While studying, I definitely felt like this test could be MASTERED. However, I never had enough time to study (only weeks up until the exam) yet I still improved 10 points. I feel like if I had 4-5 months of full time (40 hours a week) vs. 2 weeks, I could for sure reach 165.. but my concern was that maybe my chances gone because I wasted the PT's

Be happy to keep in touch if you like.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

4 months off work, yeah you can be successful. Just make sure to focus and make the best use of your time. Treat it like a job you have to show up to every weekday morning.

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

It's totally possible. I feel like some people say everyone has a maximum potential, but I disagree with that. You can get 180 even starting from 120. The studying just has to be intense. For me, I'd need more than four months to make that kind of leap but everyone is different. Focusing on problem areas and honing in on them is the best advice I can give. Just keep practicing intensely. I would start off by trying to master the logic games first since it's the most learnable imo. But don't neglect LR & RC. You can totally do this!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

You can definitely improve. The webinars on here are great. The note-taking feature is also really helpful. The ThinkingLSAT podcast is another resource. We're here for you; 7Sage is a great community.

938 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    You can definitely improve. The webinars on here are great. The note-taking feature is also really helpful. The ThinkingLSAT podcast is another resource. We're here for you; 7Sage is a great community.

@lsatplaylist

Thanks! If I had 4-5 months to study full time, which package should I purchase? And even though I’ve taken the last 20 PTs, 7sage is will still be a good resource for me ?

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

My diagnostic was around that range. My first exam after studying the lg bibles was a 140. Im pretty sure i woudlve gotten a high 130s diagnostic. I ended up with a 161. You can do it!!

938 karma

@westcoastbestcoast wow! that's amazing. Few questions for you.

1) how long did you study for and what did you use?
    2) Do you feel like you could have surpassed 165 if you studied longer? Or do you think that was a really fair plateau ?

edited April 2018 3788 karma

@jonguy said:
    @westcoastbestcoast wow! that's amazing. Few questions for you.

1) how long did you study for and what did you use?
    2) Do you feel like you could have surpassed 165 if you studied longer? Or do you think that was a really fair plateau ?

I only got a 166 once but for thr most part my PT averages were in the low 160s. I studied 2 years full time and I went through all the practice exams and went through PT50s to late 70s numerous times. I used testmasters, BP, and 7sage. I do believe that the score i got was around my practical potential, having taken exam 5 times already. I also drilled heavily during that time and enlisted the aid of tutors.

• KaterynaKateryna Alum Member
    984 karma

It took me two years to get from 142 diagnostic to upper 160s with lower 170s in BR.

5254 karma

@jonguy said:

@lsatplaylist said:

@lsatplaylist

Thanks! If I had 4-5 months to study full time, which package should I purchase? And even though I’ve taken the last 20 PTs, 7sage is will still be a good resource for me ?

You can retake the PTs later. Twenty is actually not a huge amount, as there are a ton of PTs these days. We have a plethora of material to work with. I'd personally recommend one of the Ultimate options, but many people find that the Starter option is a good one to go with in the beginning, then find it useful to access more material later.

• jkjohnson1991jkjohnson1991 Alum Member
    766 karma

@Kateryna said:
    It took me two years to get from 142 diagnostic to upper 160s with lower 170s in BR.

2 years off and on, 2 years full time or what? How many hours a week? If you don't mind me asking. I'm almost done with the CC and looking to take the September test so just trying to get a feel for what I'm up against because my diagnostic was in the low 140's as well.

• KaterynaKateryna Alum Member
    984 karma

@jkjohnson1991 two years of continuous not full time with no breaks though. Average of 20 hours per week I would say. Maybe its just me though, just sharing experience.

766 karma

@Kateryna said:
    @jkjohnson1991 two years of continuous not full time with no breaks though. Average of 20 hours per week I would say. Maybe its just me though, just sharing experience.

Understood, appreciate the response.

• lTexlawzlTexlawz Free Trial Member
    277 karma

It is absolutely possible to go from being awful to the best on the LSAT. Also, you can get so good that point where you can write your own LSAT and know it inside and out.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

That was pretty close to my diagnostic (135). Now I'm at UChicago open house ;)

5254 karma

@JustDoIt, That is awesome! What do you think of the campus? I'm thinking about a tour eventually.

766 karma

@JustDoIt said:

Wow, congrats man. How long did is take you to get that score up?

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    edited April 2018 3112 karma

@lsatplaylist it's beautiful. So visually pleasing

@jkjohnson1991 I think I will share my story soon!

Thank you both!

3788 karma

@JustDoIt said:

Great job! What was your final score! and how long did you study for

938 karma

@JustDoIt Also looking forward to hearing your story. please do share!

• 439 karma

intent + time = achievement

5254 karma

@JustDoIt Looking forward to hearing your story.

• mjs44mjs44 Member
    19 karma

@xadrianas6x said:
    I haven't PTed since I started, focusing instead on finishing the CC. I am only a couple percent away from finishing the CC now and PTing again. LG held me up an extra week or so. I am nervous excited about that. I feel like things have clicked soooo much for me in the time in between before the CC and now nearing after CC. LG (especially in-out games) are still the bane of my existence (but better now), but after doing LR lessons, RC (which was one of my worst sections) is going incredibly smoothly. A massive turn around. All I need is a 10-11 point increase on PT's to be where I want to be (a 6 or 8 point increase could work though if it came to that). I think I have the minimum increase I need. I have never done so well on practice sections before. But I want to see if maybe I'm scoring more towards where I want to be.

I think I signed up about 4-5 months ago? So, yes.. I think big improvements can be done. I have worked and been going to school and all that while doing this, too. When I do my next PT, I will share with how it turned out in comparison. Right now, focusing on midterms. Yuck.

I was thinking about doing a similar plan. Reviewing all the course material and then hitting the PTs like crazy. I thought about trying to do PTs during the CC but I feel like I'll be wasting more time that way.

2689 karma

And.. I was wrong. I registered a name 4-5 months ago. I just finished the CC and started looking around to see which tests I could PT and use for diagnostics (spoiler: all of them), and I saw when I took my diagnostic when I first bought into the Starter package. It said February. So... I may have made an account 4-5 months ago, but I've been at this hard core for only about 2 months (total shocker). I guess it feels longer when you are seriously immersed. I hope to do a PT sometime this weekend and see where I'm at now.
    Btw, keeping an eye on the formulated schedule helped kept me on task and to not slack. Love that feature!

• Beast ModeBeast Mode Live Member
    840 karma

You can do it, anything is possible if you put your mind to it. The path to your ideal score might not be perfect but you learn to adjust and readjust your plan countless times. There is no such thing as perfection so be kind to yourself and stay committed even when it gets hard. Four months is still a long time, you can make it happen. Success is all the small things you do everyday. I believe in you! Be the game changer :smile:

2689 karma

LoL. I just posted a new forum topic because this was one of the subjects I couldn't find to repost back to.
    Anyway... I took my first PT after finishing the CC. 5 point improvement. Not what I was hoping, but nothing to sneeze at. I just need a few more points. I'll have all of May with no school to devote to just LSAT study (with part time work and family). So.. I think it's doable. I also took my PT really late last night, so maybe it's skewed a little. We'll see.
    Anyway, good luck! I think maybe a 10 point increase, with 4 months of nothing but LSAT study, it's possible. I had a full plate and only a couple months with 7 sage and got 5. *YMMV