Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Employment After Law School

https://abovethelaw.com/2018/04/experts-say-the-future-of-law-school-is-looking-bleak/

If we thought that this application cycle was brutal, looks like we might be in for an increasingly competitive legal market in future years. According to this article, the employment data we are seeing may not be representative of how law schools will place their graduates in the near future, because these graduating class size of 2017 were smaller than past years.

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Just the cheery news we all needed lol

https://media.giphy.com/media/3og0IRo1EZPNnhbBV6/giphy.gif

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited April 2018 1804 karma

The legal market was oversaturated to begin with... Let's just hope an economic decline doesn't surprise any of us around graduation like it did with Classes of 2008 and 2013.

• 439 karma

That website feels like buzzfeed but with legal content. Clickbait hell

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

@"gerth.brooks" said:

It is pretty much. Every once in a while they drop a good article but not often. The one thing I do like is their law school rankings. They weight job placement/outcomes the most which I appreciate since that is what we all are after.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@akeegs92 said:

@"gerth.brooks" said:

It is pretty much. Every once in a while they drop a good article but not often. The one thing I do like is their law school rankings. They weight job placement/outcomes the most which I appreciate since that is what we all are after.

Word. Some of their articles are better than others, but ATL rankings are gold. Carry much more weight for me personally than US News.

1804 karma

@"gerth.brooks" said:

Like others pointed out, it is. I still read its articles from time to time. Then the website began to praise the use of the GRE in law school admissions, repeatedly to the point the mantra became tiresome. To me, its sole significance lies in its rankings now.

• 439 karma

I'm new to this whole world, so I've just been googling "top law schools" and the like. I dont think I've ever clicked an ATL link, but i guess I have to check them out now.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

I like some of the articles from ATL. My Google feed on my phone tends to give me a heads up when one I'd actually want to read comes up. I also think their mobile platform is less ad filled. Which is usually opposite of how these things work. LoL

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Word. Some of their articles are better than others, but ATL rankings are gold. Carry much more weight for me personally than US News.

They also have interesting school profiles but I don't think they have been updated in a while.

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

Anyone wanna link to their rankings?
    I can only find ATL's articles about USNR and law firm rankings :neutral:

1804 karma

@PearsonSpecterLittUp said:
    Anyone wanna link to their rankings?
    I can only find ATL's articles about USNR and law firm rankings :neutral:

abovethelaw.com/2017/05/the-2017-law-school-rankings-the-finest-in-fact-based-list-making/

• IgnatiusIgnatius Alum Member
    382 karma

Yeah, I've had to refrain from reading ATL due to its pessimistic undertones. It just wasn't helping with my overall attitude as I'm studying for this exam. Although, they do have some insightful articles about the legal field, and it has definitely given me a more realistic outlook on what my professional working life could be like. I just can't get past the frequent disgruntled tone I feel lingers throughout a lot of the write ups.

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

@FixedDice said:

abovethelaw.com/2017/05/the-2017-law-school-rankings-the-finest-in-fact-based-list-making/

THANK YOU!!