Scholarship negotiation - asking for an exact number

saturnsunsaturnsun Free Trial Member

Hi! Any advice/opinions on letting a school know the dollar amount that would enable you to commit to that school? Is this considered rude/pushy? Are we supposed to simply ask for any kind of increase and just be grateful to get any money at all, or can we be more direct in negotiating?

Thanks!

Comments

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

Full Disclosure: I've never participated in scholarship negotiations, however...

If you are truly willing to walk away from the offer if they don't pony up X amount of dollars, what is the risk? If you are polite and to the point, don't be afraid of appearing rude. They deal with a whole lot of "you's" every single year. Its their job.

Unless you are getting a full ride, you are the customer and they are selling you a product. Tell them what it will take to get your business. Good luck.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

I've heard that citing scholarship offers from similarly ranked schools is a useful strategy for negotiation. You can use bigger offers from other schools to convince your ideal school to match or at least consider giving a little more. Not sure if this actually works though.

I'd be interested to see if anyone on 7sage has negotiated a scholarship boost in a similar way this cycle.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    edited April 2018 5254 karma

I agree with @Ohnoeshalpme as I've heard similar things. I also think it can depend on the schools and their relationships, like regional competitors and such.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited April 2018 3197 karma

I've had 3 /4 scholarships all change the smallest one was a 5k total bump the 2 others have been 5k a year. I then reached out again after seat deposits and had another 5k bump. The only "no" has been from Fordham and Emory doesn't reconsider scholarships.

Basically sent a letter with other offers as well as how I could add to the program with my softs. So far it's been received well.

Have your letters handy as they need support. I used both regional and higher ranked schools. I have a full to a state school and significant money to Emory so both have been helpful with other schools.

Just ask respectfully and support your ask and good things should happen.

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

Remember that by offering you more money, schools are making a commitment to you. In turn, you have a better shot at receiving an increase by making a commitment to them. Therefore, I'd recommend that, if you can, you give them the minimum amount that they'd have to give you in order for you to commit to attending to that school (and rescinding all of your other acceptances). This will make the school feel that the money they are giving you will be going to a guaranteed admit.

I would also definitely include amounts from other schools. This is pretty much mandatory, as this is how you have actual leverage in the negotiation.

Other important things to cite: 1. your interest in that particular school (for example, that you want to study in that area after graduation or they are your top choice), 2. if you're going into public interest law and will not be making very much money, 3. if you have a low-income background and have been able to manage your finances well (no preceding educational debt because of need/merit-based scholarships, for example).

Citation: from my very expensive law school admissions consultant.

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited October 2018 1028 karma

• saturnsunsaturnsun Free Trial Member
    156 karma

Thanks everyone! I've pulled out all the stops with a certain T20 school. They're my #1 choice and I have nearly a 1/2 tuition scholarship from them, but with living expenses + the rest of tuition, I'm looking at significant significant significant loans. They told me they are overcommitted and can't do anything more for me (in addition to speaking on the phone with the dean of admissions I've met with him twice). Even though I have a higher offer from a better school, he went about explaining to me how that school is more expensive so I'm still getting a better deal with my current scholarship. lol

Anyone else taking out a terrifying amount of loans and crossing their fingers for biglaw?

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7272 karma

Sorry I'm late to the party, but you might find this useful: https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/law-school-financial-aid/