Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diversity statement question

LawschlthrowawayLawschlthrowaway Free Trial Member
in General 4 karma

Hi all, I posted this question on some other forums and there was a lot of division in the discussion so I've decided to post here as well for some further input.

I plan on applying to law school next cycle and I'm considering writing a diversity statement, but I'm not sure if I qualify/it would hurt my chances of admission.

Basically, growing up I was raised by a lesbian couple in a overwhelmingly Mormon neighborhood in the heart of Utah (I'm an IVF baby). I believe that because of my family background, I faced heavy discrimination/adversity growing up and that this adversity has heavily shaped the person that I am today. For example, in grade school most kids were disallowed/discouraged from talking or interacting with me due to my family background. I wasn't invited/allowed to participate in birthday parties, sleepovers, etc. Relentless bullying in school, teachers discriminated against my parents and I as well, and much much more.

Personally, I feel like this qualifies for a diversity statement, but I have two reservations...

1. I'm an otherwise normal straight white male, and I'm worried that this might disqualify me from being able to write a diversity statement. From reading around, it seems many believe that my position of privilege from my race/gender excludes experiencing the adversity that other LGBT/minority applicants have faced. It might sound silly, but I am worried that an admissions officer might disagree that my background qualifies as true diversity, and that this might negatively impact my application.

2. Clearly, the anti-LGBT stance of the Mormon church was one of the chief causes/influences of the adversity that I faced while young. I'm worried that if I write a diversity statement, it may come off as anti-religion, or otherwise offend the admissions council of these law schools.

What do you all think about this situation? Do you think I can write a diversity statement, or do you think it would be best to avoid the topic?

Should I write a diversity statement?
  1. Should I write a diversity statement?12 votes
    1. Yes, I think you should
      91.67%
    2. No, you'd better not write a diversity statement
        8.33%

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited April 2018 1804 karma

"Please, please don't apologize for being white, male, and middle-class - every white middle-class guy does that." - Anna Ivey, The Ivey Guide to Law School Admissions, 89.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Yes, write it. Law schools want to know that you bring a unique perspective. At worst it wont make a difference and at best it might tip your application into the accept pile.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited April 2018 1804 karma

Your choice, really. I fail to see why in the world your so-called position of privilege should nullify the LGBT dimension. As for your second point, it would really depend on how you deliver your story, something that you might want to keep at the back of your mind as you work on your application.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited April 2018 3072 karma
    1. I'm an otherwise normal straight white male, and I'm worried that this might disqualify me from being able to write a diversity statement.

Dude, stop this kind of stuff. It is not healthy for you to feel this way about yourself. Ethnic/racial diversity is only one kind of diversity.

• Return On InferenceReturn On Inference Alum Member
    edited April 2018 503 karma

@goingfor99th

I don't think they're saying this, but worried that it might be misinterpreted that way.

Personally I don't know how admissions officers would interpret the DS. Online I've seen a lot of identity politics "if you're not a minority, then you don't know what it's like to experience racism" sort of arguments.

Though I'm pretty sure admissions officers don't take it that far, it's still a valid concern IMO.

• stormstorm Member
    261 karma

@"Return On Inference" said:
    @goingfor99th

I don't think they're saying this, but worried that it might be misinterpreted that way.

Personally I don't know how admissions officers would interpret the DS. Online I've seen a lot of identity politics "if you're not a minority, then you don't know what it's like to experience racism" sort of arguments.

Though I'm pretty sure admissions officers don't take it that far, it's still a valid concern IMO.

Um... But that is true, if you aren't a racial minority, you do not know what it is like to experience racism. So, I think that is a weak premise. There is a very clear difference between racism and discrimination. If that's unclear to you and you're interested, I'm happy to send over some literature recommendations. :)

All that aside, being white, cis, a man and middle class does not necessarily preclude you from writing a DS. To oversimplify, let's cut a binary and say diversity can be viewed at either a local or global level. Sure, a person of color, especially a black person, is going to be able to write a DS that likely speaks to local and global racism and discrimination if they live in the U.S. This could make for a more well founded DS, but I don't believe this is a DS --> Local + Global. Instead, I think it is more of a DS --> Local or Global (inclusive or). Yay, conditional logic! Lol.

It is clear that LawSchoolThrow... is looking to write a DS that speaks to their local level diversity. I think that is valid and equally important to address. However, I do additionally believe that DS statements should always demonstrate how you were able to rise above those who discriminated against you. Also, if you can tie it back to "why law", why not?

I say all this with a shrug at the end, because it all comes down to the admissions committee/officer. But, here's my takeaway: if you want the law school to know this about you because it impacts the perspective you'll bring to their classroom and shapes your legal future, let them know. If they don't accept you because of it, they weren't the lawl school for you.

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    edited April 2018 2124 karma

I don’t believe admissions committee will look at your essay differently because you're a white male. The diversity statement usually portrays how ones experiences would add to the student body which I think yours is worth writing. On the issue of anti-religion, it’s really about how you write it. You definitely don’t want to come off as bashing any religion.

• Return On InferenceReturn On Inference Alum Member
    503 karma

@storm said:

If that's unclear to you and you're interested, I'm happy to send over some literature recommendations.

No, that's okay. I wasn't trying to suggest that the opposite is true -- rather just trying to draw an (admittedly weak, as you pointed out) comparison between the two. You make excellent points about local and global diversity -- but for someone who doesn't have such a clear understanding of it, I can see how they would be apprehensive in writing a DS as a straight white male.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

This Spivey article may help.

https://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/when-should-i-submit-a-diversity-statement/

In short, “diversity” in this context casts a larger net than in our typical parlance and I think your topic meets the general definition as Spivey lays out.