Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accommodations Question

TaylorAnnTaylorAnn Free Trial Member
in General 202 karma

I got approved for 50% extra time accommodations recently and I was wondering if I should be taking PTs and timed sections with the 52 minutes instead of the 35 minutes? Somewhere in-between?

Just wondering what some others with extra time are doing?

TY!

Comments

• TaylorAnnTaylorAnn Free Trial Member
    202 karma

Also does anyone know if there is a special accommodations timer?

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited April 2018 2531 karma

Take the test under your own test day conditions. We don't take practice tests with 50% less time than we will get on test day, why should you?

That extra 17 minutes completely changes the test. Try pushing your blind review score into the 170's and you should have no problem scoring close to there on test day.

edited April 2018 202 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:
    Take the test under your own test day conditions. We don't take practice tests with 50% less time than we will get on test day, why should you?

That extra 17 minutes completely changes the test. Try pushing your blind review score into the 170's and you should have no problem scoring close to there on test day.

IDK I've heard of some people doing sections in like 30 minutes instead of 35 and I've also heard of people with accommodations doing different things.

I have a physical disability such that the 17 minutes doesn't really change the test completely for me.

Also my BR scores are in the 170s. I'm not really worried about that so much as how to best practice with the extra time now that I'm starting to take full PTs. I see 7Sage has a special video proctor for those with time and half. TY 7sage <3

Why do you think people can score their BR scores on test day? Seems a bit over optimistic, no? Thanks for the vote of confidence tho :flushed:

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

You should be PT with 52 mins. I def wouldn't change that to anything beyond a 5 min difference. You do not have a cognitive issue that requires additional time to grasp things but time plays with your mind especially when under pressure. No matter who much you study and how closely you study to test conditions it'll never be what you're faced with on game day. Personally time threw me off because I started worrying about when time was going to be up. I felt like something was wrong because it seemed like it was taking forever for the timer to go off and it totally threw me off my game because I lost focus of what I was doing.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@TaylorAnn said:

@Ohnoeshalpme said:

IDK I've heard of some people doing sections in like 30 minutes instead of 35 and I've also heard of people with accommodations doing different things.

I have a physical disability such that the 17 minutes doesn't really change the test completely for me.

Also my BR scores are in the 170s. I'm not really worried about that so much as how to best practice with the extra time now that I'm starting to take full PTs. I see 7Sage has a special video proctor for those with time and half. TY 7sage <3

Why do you think people can score their BR scores on test day? Seems a bit over optimistic, no? Thanks for the vote of confidence tho :flushed:

I think it might make some sense for people to sort of time their section taking to try to finish with 5 minutes left on average. This is so if you run into a section that gives you a harder time than average you can still finish.

I think you could either stick with 5 minutes or scale it up to finishing 7 and a half minutes early to reflect the time and a half. But, I would still set the timer for the full time and just aim to finish the questions and be checking at 5 or 7 and a half minutes left.

I think people can score their blind review scores because people do. As you get closer to a 180 there is less and less space between a blind review score and your real score. For top scorers, this shrinks to within the margin of error on the test. Additionally, none of the LSAT questions are so complicated that it should take a lot of time to solve them if you know how. In the blind review you are taking time to figure out exactly how to solve questions which you are shaky on, but once you can get a question right in blind review, it shouldn't be impossible to run through the logic which you have confirmed to be right faster and faster until you can get it in real test taking time.

Good luck!

202 karma

I think people can score their blind review scores because people do

Hmm sounds like circular logic lol But I see what you mean. Thanks for the advice. I'm aiming for a 170 score so even if I can't score my BR I'll be happy so long as I hit 170.

202 karma

@tanes256 said:
    You should be PT with 52 mins. I def wouldn't change that to anything beyond a 5 min difference. You do not have a cognitive issue that requires additional time to grasp things but time plays with your mind especially when under pressure. No matter who much you study and how closely you study to test conditions it'll never be what you're faced with on game day. Personally time threw me off because I started worrying about when time was going to be up. I felt like something was wrong because it seemed like it was taking forever for the timer to go off and it totally threw me off my game because I lost focus of what I was doing.

I have a TBI that causes some cognitive issues. Sorry to hear about that. I think I'll take your advice and just practice using 52 minutes and get used to the pacing of the extra time.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@TaylorAnn said:

Hmm sounds like circular logic lol But I see what you mean. Thanks for the advice. I'm aiming for a 170 score so even if I can't score my BR I'll be happy so long as I hit 170.

170 is a solid goal and anyone would be happy with the prospects that come with it. Of course once you have that in hand a 173 or a 175 may look like the new must have thing that is worth continuing to study for. And that is okay too.

202 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

@TaylorAnn said:

170 is a solid goal and anyone would be happy with the prospects that come with it. Of course once you have that in hand a 173 or a 175 may look like the new must have thing that is worth continuing to study for. And that is okay too.

Maybe you're right! For the schools I'm interested in a 170 should be more than enough for a full scholarship. Then again, if between now and July my scores keep going up I might as well keep aiming higher! A 173 would be pretty amazingggg