Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has this cycle been more difficult?

Hey everyone,

I'm applying to schools next fall, and I've been getting a bit stressed out by the forums recently. It seems like applicants with great LSAT scores are getting WL'ed or rejected at schools they would typically be accepted at. I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is a trend that will continue into next year.

Comments

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

According to spivey, this trend wouldn't continue. But, as you have noted, many people had disappointing and cycles and underperformed their numbers. It is a possibility that these people who underperformed may reapply next cycle, after perhaps retaking the LSAT and/or rebuilding their resume.

• This cycle sucked yo, no joke

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited April 2018 2531 karma

I think that this anomaly will resonate across more than just a single cycle. An influx of high LSAT scores can be explained things such as unlimited takes, improvement of online resources or even the strengthening of the economy. All of these factors don't seem to be going away any time soon. I don't think that next cycle will be as challenging as the current one, but I expect that it will probably be more competitive than usual.

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited October 2018 1028 karma

• J.CHRIS.ALSTJ.CHRIS.ALST Alum Member
    399 karma

@LastLSAT said:
    A low 170s LSAT and ~4.0 GPA only got me one T14 acceptance haha (although I applied very late). The increase in competition is real.

My advice is to get your apps in as early as possible and to make sure every single document in your application is well-crafted, interesting, and flawless. Also, don't expect your numbers to carry you anymore. Realize that your interview performance or school visit + "Why School X" essay might now be the difference between a WL/ding and an acceptance.

Are you KJD?

3788 karma

@LastLSAT said:

@"J.CHRIS.ALST" said:
    Are you KJD?

Kind of. I graduated last spring, but don't have any full-time work experience (just lots of part-time and volunteering).

Are you planning to take time off? Build up the resume and save money before reapplying? @LastLSAT

3788 karma

@LastLSAT said:
    @westcoastbestcoast I'm considering it, especially since I still performed at the low end of my PT range on my retake and think I could hit 175+ in June. The lower T14 I did get into offered me $$$ and is highly ranked in my area of interest though, so I may commit and attend even though it isn't really my first choice.

Hmm. Since you got money at a T14, you cant go wrong. There is always is a risk of not improving, so attending this upcoming year will still be good too.

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

If you're worried, I think the advice given above is spot-on. Apply as early as you can, and do not take things like additional statements for granted !!! Make sure your personal statement is really well written, and highlights something relatively recent. I know some people who wrote about something 7 years ago and had great numbers who got dings, while others with lower numbers who did very well this cycle, and I think your personal statement and softs count more than ever.