Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Help Deciding!

lawschool2021lawschool2021 Free Trial Member
edited April 2018 in Law School Admissions 11 karma

I'm torn between two law schools: Syracuse and Albany. I know for sure that I want to practice in upstate NY so I've narrowed down my list to these two contenders. I will be visiting both of them pretty soon but deposit deadlines are looming. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with these two schools or just info about the areas? So far I've heard that Albany might be the better area to live but any additional info would be appreciated!

Albany vs. Syracuse
  1. The preferred choice is....9 votes
    1. Albany
      22.22%
    2. Syracuse
      77.78%

Comments

• Eric25Eric25 Member
    720 karma

What type of law are you interested in practicing? Does either school have a better program for that type of law? I live in Rochester and personally prefer Albany as a city, not that Syracuse is bad I just enjoyed Albany more. I know a couple firms that are spread out between the 4 upstate cities which can make transferring easier. I don't think there is a huge difference between either school personally, but the largest impact will be what type of law you want to practice.

• arscolavinoarscolavino Alum Member
    13 karma

I am interested to see what people say about Syracuse, as I have also been admitted there but I am struggling with the decision as to whether attend or not. I'm looking for job prospects closer to New York City, which causes me to hesitate attending there. Looking forward to seeing the responses and or results.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

What will the cost of attendances look like?

• lawschool2021lawschool2021 Free Trial Member
    11 karma

@Eric25 Honestly, I haven't definitely chosen a field of law that I for sure want to practice. However, as of right now, corporate and health law have seemed to catch my interest as well as insurance defense. Both seem to be very comparable in terms of corporate law concentrations and health law courses/clinics. I'm starting to lean more towards Syracuse however because they have better externship opportunities and an actual clerkship program.

11 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" My scholarship at Syracuse covers a little over half of tuition. Albany's covers about 3/4 of tuition.

11 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" In terms of everything else, it seems like cost of living is a little less expensive in terms of housing, transportation, etc.

11 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" Sorry - I meant to say the cost of living is a little less expensive in Syracuse!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I'd probably take Albany because it is cheaper, but I would also probably retake or negotiate until I got full tuition at one. Half tuition and cost of living is a whole lot of debt to pay off without big law.