Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please Help!

Rosie2535Rosie2535 Member
in General 11 karma

For some reason, no matter how much I study, I cannot seem to absorb the lessons! I'll only get a few quiz questions right and most I can't understand! I try studying 2 hours if I can after work everyday but it doesn't help me very much. Is there a specific way to help ensure I'm actually learning this properly? I want to take the LSAT in September 2018 but I'm scared I might not learn what I need to in time.

Comments

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

As someone who has pushed this test back multiple times, don't rush your prep. You don't want to take the test when you are no where near where you want to be. If you have to push back the test to Nov/Dec or even next cycle, then so be it.

In regards to absorbing the material. Have you watched the lessons multiple times? If you are not familiar with logic, it is quite understandable to shaky on what is being taught. Logic is an odd-ball subject. I'd recommend re-watching if you haven't yet.

Also, don't be afraid to scroll down to the comments section of each lesson and look at what people are asking about. You may find someone asked about the same thing you are struggling with. And if you don't, then ask on the comments section for help. Usually someone will reply! This community is really great with helping each other out! Heck, you can even start a discussion on the main forum asking for help on a certain subject like you did for this! There are a ton of brilliant minds out there willing to help!

What subjects in particular are you having trouble with?

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

Don’t forget to get enough sleep! If you aren’t getting enough rest it can really sink all your efforts.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

If you wanted to learn how to play the piano, how would you go about doing that?

Would you go to your lessons, learn the chords, then expect to play them all perfectly on your first, second or third try?

Or

Would you go home, and practice each chord, over and over again. Would you incorporate them into a practice routine? You learned chord A and chord B, and are currently learning C. So obviously you would continue to practice A, and B but now you'd add C into the mix.

Then after you've built up enough practice at each chord eventually you'd start being able to string them together to play songs. Then the complexity of the songs you could play would continue to improve as you practiced old chords and learned and improved with new ones.

THIS is what the LSAT is. When you do a lesson, you will NOT know it right away. It will feel awkward, new, and unnatural. Only after slowly implementing it into your practice will it start to become more smooth and efficient. You'll get better without even noticing it.

The LSAT is not a test where you learn a concept, instantly retain it all, and ace the quiz.

I think if you try and look at it in that light, you wont worry about your progress nearly as much.

You SHOULD be constantly reviewing the CC and past lessons. Your brain SHOULD be struggling and trying to tie it all together. This is actually a good sign!!

Hang in there and keep it up! I promise with enough practice and perseverance you will start to see improvement over time!

• Return On InferenceReturn On Inference Alum Member
    503 karma

I want to second what @"nessa.k13.0" said about sleep. Sleep is super important for this exam -- your logical reasoning skills are some of the first to go when you're sleep deprived.

I would also suggest attempting to move your study early in the morning rather than after work. If your work is especially mentally taxing in some way, then you might just be 'out of gas' at the end of the day, which will inhibit your ability to absorb the lessons.

Perhaps going to sleep earlier and studying in the morning when you're fresh could help.

• Rosie2535Rosie2535 Member
    11 karma

Thank you for the helpful comments! I've decided to cancel my registration and keep studying until I feel prepared to take the LSAT. I think I might need to restart the course without a time limit so i can keep rewatching lessons and practicing until I get it. I do start work really early in the morning so I don't know how well I'll absorb it at 6:00am.

• kwdardiskwdardis Alum Member
    155 karma

@Rosie2535 Here's my two cents. I was in your predicament last year. I thought I would do a course and then take the exam 4 months later. But like you, after a few months, I was staying on schedule, but I realized that I was not actually learning the material, while I was pressuring myself unduly for an unrealistic test date. As fate would have it, I got sick and had to cancel the exam. That turned out to be such a blessing. This year, when I decided to start studying again, I made the commitment to master the lessons. This is a completely different experience. Yes, it is more time consuming and I am absolutely never able to keep up with the study schedule. But that doesn't matter. I do not need to master the study schedule. I need to master the material. This time around, I have gained a confidence that I didn't have before.

The objective is to score well. Scoring well requires focus and dedication (for most of us). If you are going to make the effort, I say make it count. I get up at 4:30 or 5 to study because my brain is better in the morning. Lately, in the evening (when I am tired and cannot retain lessons so well) I am going back to view comments below the lessons or explanations, and also looking at the discussion board activity. This has been very fortuitous. From reading comments, or the discussion board, I learned that I can use page protectors and a dry erase marker to practice games, instead of wasting tons of ink and paper on printing multiple copies of each game. That is genius (thank you 7sage community!). This single discovery makes me realize that we must also make time to take advantage of the 7sage community. Prior to this little discovery, I have seriously wondered how so many people have time to be on this discussion board. Now I see the benefit, though I still do not have that much free time to be on here. Some time on this board is better than no time.

To be successful in law school you will have to make time and apply yourself. JY made me realize that doing the same for the LSAT will be well worth our while. So, take your time. Do well on the exam. I wish you the best!