PT56.S3.Q16 - Therapist: The ability to trust other people

gparmar92gparmar92 Alum Member
edited May 2018 in Logical Reasoning 153 karma

Erased because of forum rule of not posting info direct from PT's.

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-56-section-3-question-16/
Admin note: edited title and added link

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited May 2018 1804 karma

Stim: without trust there cannot be meaningful emotional connection to another human being

H: Happiness, MEC: meaningful emotional connection, I: isolated

Premise 1: Because there is a group 3 and a group 4 indicator I would have to treat one as a negation. I'm going for the group 3 translation (without) and using the group 4 indicator (no) as the negation: T --> MEC

"Without" signifies necessary condition and negates the sufficient condition. So Premise 1 should be translated as "MEC -> T" ("without trust there cannot be meaningful emotional connection to another human being").

With the corrected premise, the argument would look something like this:

P1: MEC -> T
    P2: ~I -> MEC
    C: H -> T

The missing premise would be "H -> ~I," whose contrapositive is answer choice (A).

There's a forum rule against posting direct quotes from PTs, by the way.

• gparmar92gparmar92 Alum Member
    153 karma

@FixedDice said:

Stim: without trust there cannot be meaningful emotional connection to another human being

H: Happiness, MEC: meaningful emotional connection, I: isolated

Premise 1: Because there is a group 3 and a group 4 indicator I would have to treat one as a negation. I'm going for the group 3 translation (without) and using the group 4 indicator (no) as the negation: T --> MEC

"Without" signifies necessary condition and negates the sufficient condition. So Premise 1 should be translated as "MEC -> T" ("without trust there cannot be meaningful emotional connection to another human being").

With the corrected premise, the argument would look something like this:

P1: MEC -> T
    P2: ~I -> MEC
    C: H -> T

The missing premise would be "H -> ~I," whose contrapositive is answer choice (A).

There's a forum rule against posting direct quotes from PTs, by the way.

Thank you for clearing it up for me, and my mistake on the post.