Help needed! Any tips on maximum/minimum number-type in/out game questions?

Frank DeboreFrank Debore Free Trial Member
edited September 2013 in Logic Games 22 karma
Hey LSAT Geeks~My test in 10 days and one of my lingering concerns is about the type of in/out game questions that asks "what's the maximum/minimum number of blablabla that can be in or out", or "Which one of following must be in for maximum number of blablabla in/out". It generally involves a huge cluster of in/out chains and can be intimidating. Is there any rules of thumb? Sorry I can't find any specific games right away, but this type is not uncommon.

Comments

• KK Free Trial Member
    edited September 2013 345 karma
    for such games, your inference diagram is your best friend.

Here's a very simple example... let's say you have 6 variables: A B C D E F

after going through the givens, you come up with this inference:

/A -> B -> C ->/E

and B -> /F

D is a floater.

What's the maximum number who can be in?

well... you can have D in and you can have B and C in as well, which gives 3. But, if you run the contrapositive, you have E and A in, B and C out, and you don't know anything about F so you can add F in and then bring in the floater D. Now, you have 4 max.

BUT...

if you have F in, B is out and A is in. You can also have C in and E out, and D as well, so now you have 4 as well!

So, you can have most (4) in when either C, F or E in. I messed this example up, but the underlying concept should still be helpful...

EDIT: I MADE A FOOL OF MYSELF HERE LOL... FIXED IT ^^^^^^ If someone else can come up with a better game example please do so... i'm terrible at teaching others hahahaha

Remember, negating sufficient condition doesn't tell you anything about the necessary condition. If I don't have B for example, I can have F in or out. But if I have B in for sure, then of course F is out.
  • Frank DeboreFrank Debore Free Trial Member
    22 karma
    Thanks that definitely helps!
    edited September 2013 22 karma
    One more question, as to the game you created, my first reaction is to get rid of B, because B hates two others; In fact, I always tend to get rid of the one that contradicts the most number of others. Could that be a rule of thumb?
  • KK Free Trial Member
    edited September 2013 345 karma
    FIRST OF ALL I APOLOGIZE FOR MAKING A MISTAKE IN THE GAME ABOVE.

FIXED IT.

SORRY FOR MISLEADING ANYONE!!!! REREAD IT!!!

man i suck at teaching other ppl im sorry. shasang i hope i didnt confuse u lol.. if you have a specific example i'll be glad to help u with that... if i make up my own i'll just mess it up hahaha
    22 karma
    nono it's fine, I got what you were trying to say:)