Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those with Ultimate plus, and those fool proofing, how do you safe on paper?

booyboobooyboo Alum Member
in General 36 karma

Ink is so expensive. For fool proofing LG, how many copies do you print out? I heard about this method an earlier member posted about for proofing LG that saved a lot of paper, does anyone know what I am talking about?
Thanks

Comments

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

Laser printer if you can. Keep an eye out on amazon and staples for a deal. I don't think it's necessary to print out an arbitrary number (10) right from the start. Print out the bundle and if a section/game gives you trouble, print that section out again. Can't recall doing a game more than 3x to "foolproof."

• Gunningfor121Gunningfor121 Alum Member
    517 karma

My apartment complex has free printing as long as you supply the paper. Maybe reach out to friends to see if anyone has access to free printing?

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

When I was fool proofing LG I just used normal notebook paper and did all my work on there and had a cheesy thing on the side of the page that was numbered and had ABCDE, lol. Some people say not to do this since you should practice on a real LG page, but it worked for me and as long as you do practice on a proper LG page you should be fine. Yes, you are using paper but not printer ink ;) haha.

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

I never did the 10 copy rule. I figured out after a couple of times I usually could master a game after about 3 times (4 if it was tough). I fly through ink too but this is was one way that I was able to save.

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    edited May 2018 609 karma

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

laser printer. Mine is a Samsung something and I paid about $50 for it from Amazon. The cartridges are $20 something. Copy your PT on one side and your BR on the other side. I also used notebook paper when I ran out of paper. Some ppl swear by doing everything strictly to game day conditions but it never bothered me.

• Eric25Eric25 Member
    720 karma

I printed a single copy of each game, then whenever I want to do a game I slide the sheets into a clear document protector and use a fine tip expo marker from Target. When I'm done, erase and repeat. Works like a charm!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

Yeah, laser printer. I got a Brother printer on Amazon for $100. Each $50 toner cartridge prints about 2,500 pages. A whole PT takes a couple of minutes max and it prints it front and back. After 7Sage, the best investment I ever made towards my LSAT studies.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

@Eric25 said:
    I printed a single copy of each game, then whenever I want to do a game I slide the sheets into a clear document protector and use a fine tip expo marker from Target. When I'm done, erase and repeat. Works like a charm!

This is my method too.

• Return On InferenceReturn On Inference Alum Member
    503 karma

I use transparency pockets (like the ones that teachers use with a projector) and put my games inside of them, and then I use dry erase markers to do the games.

My first attempt and the day-after attempts are all done with dry erase, and then they go in my FPing pile. When I get to them about a week later, I'll attempt them with pencil.

This saves me a bunch of paper because I only print out 2 copies of each game, but I still end up doing the game 4-5 times in the FPing process.

• protagonistalexprotagonistalex Alum Member
    56 karma

I never did full on ten copies (maybe 5-6 max if I was really struggling with a game) and have been recycling paper by printing the games one-sided, keeping them after I finished them, and then used them for one-sided printing for a new set of games on the blank side. That way you've still got the look and feel of the actual paper test while halving the amount of paper you use.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Oh man, the dry erase idea is genius! Brilliant, guys. Printing double sided helps. The cheap Brother laser printers are incredible and a fantastic value too. I have a $90-100 printer from them that I use at work and it is a champ. Going strong after 5 years of heavy use.

• arman_65arman_65 Alum Member
    252 karma

I do them on my surface, so I don't print for any drilling material, just PT's. if you dont have a touch screen tablet or you want to keep committed to test conditions, then a cheap brother laser printer with generic brand toner is cost efficient as well

• mrbuttonsmrbuttons Alum Member
    179 karma

Sheet protectors along with ultra thin dry erase markers will do the trick. You can get them in any dollar store

https://www.dollartree.com/bulk/Sheet-Protectors

• 193 karma

I buy my ink at 4inkjets.com and they are crazy cheap. I'll go through ebates to get the extra 10-15% back also. I've gotten one bad cartridge in all the years I've bought from them, so it's really good deal from the cost of Staples or whatever. Sometimes they are a little slow for shipping, but it's ok like 5-7 days.
    For paper I'll use Staples or whoever when they are having a rebate deal, otherwise, I'll turn the paper over and use the other side for printing out new material.

I return my ink cartridges I purchased from 4inkjets to Staples because they'll give me $2 per cartridge. But, you have to spend $$$ to get your rebate card, so I try to only return when I'm buying paper.

I also changed my settings on my printer to print low resolution, and ink saving. I've heard it saves like 12% of the ink, but I don't know. If my resolution is too low, then it's hard to read.

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:

@Eric25 said:

This is my method too.

This was also my method. I would write the dates and time it took to accomplish the game on the actual game so that I would keep track of when I did a game and when I need to do it again.

I stopped doing this method because even though I used a thin dry erase marker, it was still a little difficult for me doing games where every other question required a new game set.

As it stands now, I printed all the logic games 1-35 once. I attempt the games and if I am not accurate or don't complete the game in time, I then print one copy of the game. In this way, I am printing on demand instead of photocopying multiple copies after one attempt. Does that make sense?

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited May 2018 4423 karma

I printed them each 4 times for Pacifico's Logic Games Attack Strategy. I also printed them in my printer's draft mode which was faster and used less ink.

That was as far as I was willing to go to skimp on paper and ink since it is doing games multiple times that builds the memory of how to do them. The dry erase thing could work, but I only used pencils when at all possible during my prep to get as used to writing small, neat, and quickly with them as possible before switching back to the world of pens after the test.

Edit: If I needed more than the 4 copies, I would print more.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited May 2018 3652 karma

This is kinda tacky but I use sticky notes :D
    Anything around the questions can be erased easily and then just put a big sticky note or two at the bottom of the page where you drew out any gameboards. Just put a fresh sticky note whenever you do a retake.

27809 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    I only used pencils when at all possible during my prep to get as used to writing small, neat, and quickly with them as possible before switching back to the world of pens after the test.

Yeah, I did pencil only, in all things, for the entire duration of my studies. It was a little thing, maybe more ritualistic than anything, but the comfort I developed for my pencil was a nice touch on test day. I’d hesitate to say it made a difference to my score, but it was a tiny part of a broader study mentality that absolutely was essential to my success.

So I really like the dry erase thing because it’s clever and efficient. But it’s just not pencil!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    I only used pencils when at all possible during my prep to get as used to writing small, neat, and quickly with them as possible before switching back to the world of pens after the test.

Yeah, I did pencil only, in all things, for the entire duration of my studies. It was a little thing, maybe more ritualistic than anything, but the comfort I developed for my pencil was a nice touch on test day. I’d hesitate to say it made a difference to my score, but it was a tiny part of a broader study mentality that absolutely was essential to my success.

So I really like the dry erase thing because it’s clever and efficient. But it’s just not pencil!

Yes, there are some things which superstition demands of those studying for the LSAT.

Among these are a fascination with pencils, a fixation on certain numbers(for example avoiding driving below 70 on the highway and never above 80), and things like meditation.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    edited July 2018 2134 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    Yeah, laser printer. I got a Brother printer on Amazon for $100. Each $50 toner cartridge prints about 2,500 pages. A whole PT takes a couple of minutes max and it prints it front and back. After 7Sage, the best investment I ever made towards my LSAT studies.

@"Cant Get Right" can you share with Brother model you recommend? I found this one on Amazon but just wanted to make sure its the one you have :smile: :

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Monochrome-HL-L2350DW-Two-Sided-Replenishment/dp/B0763WDSYZ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1530736955&sr=8-4&keywords=brother+laser+printer&th=1

Editing to add: The printer cartridge for this model yields 1,200 pages - perhaps you are using another printer? I like the idea of of paying $50 for a 2,500 yield. Thanks so much for any info you can provide.

27809 karma

@LCMama2017 said:

@"Cant Get Right" said:

@"Cant Get Right" can you share with Brother model you recommend? I found this one on Amazon but just wanted to make sure its the one you have :smile: :

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Monochrome-HL-L2350DW-Two-Sided-Replenishment/dp/B0763WDSYZ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1530736955&sr=8-4&keywords=brother+laser+printer&th=1

Editing to add: The printer cartridge for this model yields 1,200 pages - perhaps you are using another printer? I like the idea of of paying $50 for a 2,500 yield. Thanks so much for any info you can provide.

Ok, I looked it up and this is the new model of the one I have. The different cartridge size makes sense. I remember now that there are two cartridge sizes: normal and high yield. So it comes with normal and looks like it can fit the high capacity. So I think this one is going to be great.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:

@LCMama2017 said:

@"Cant Get Right" said:

Ok, I looked it up and this is the new model of the one I have. The different cartridge size makes sense. I remember now that there are two cartridge sizes: normal and high yield. So it comes with normal and looks like it can fit the high capacity. So I think this one is going to be great.

Hi - thanks. I dug around a little more and you are right, it has a high yield cartridge that yields 3,000 pages. Ha! Like I will need to print 3,000 pages, lol. Yeah, I really like this printer. Thx again for your comment.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

Since this threat has resurfaced, print double-sided and on b&w draft!