Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC fee increases

Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
in General 8392 karma

Apparently, LSAC just instituted fee increases and they are bananas. LSAT is now $190, test center and date change fees are $125, CAS registration is $195 and the doozy - CAS reports are now $45 (up from $35).

https://www.lsac.org/jd/applying-to-law-school/lsat-cas-fees?view=1

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I'm not surprised. Since I've skipped 2 cycles, I've seen the system improve over the past year. They probably feel the new system justifies these increases. Maybe they are also looking to make more on their near-monopolized services like CAS (I don't believe you can submit transcripts/LOR through any other service for the vast majority of schools) in the face of greater testing competition from the GRE.

An expensive process just got a littler costlier : /

• nicole.brooklynnicole.brooklyn Alum Member
    341 karma

Assuming you are a typical applicant, you’ll pay for 2 LSATs, CAS, and 10 apps. That totals $1020 paid to LSAC.

I wonder if they’ll see a drop in registrations for upcoming test dates. $190 seems prohibitively expensive... Then again, with unlimited takes, total registrations may increase.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@"nicole.brooklyn" said:
    Assuming you are a typical applicant, you’ll pay for 2 LSATs, CAS, and 10 apps. That totals $1020 paid to LSAC.

I wonder if they’ll see a drop in registrations for upcoming test dates. $190 seems prohibitively expensive... Then again, with unlimited takes, total registrations may increase.

That same cost would have been $895 for last year, making this a roughly 14% increase in cost. That is a crazy amount. I was frustrated that the test center/date change fees were $100 last year, $125 is nuts. Particularly the test center change, it costs them literally nothing. $125 with no expenses is so much.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited May 2018 1804 karma

I'm thinking the increased number of LSAT administrations at least partially contributed to this fee hike. Each LSAT administration has got to cost a fortune. Creating and proofreading questions, securing test locations, printing and preparing test materials, hiring proctors (if the LSAC does not entirely rely on volunteers), distributing, delivering, scoring, rescoring (by hand), etc.

Having more options is fine, but someone has to pay for them. I'm not happy with the increased fees either, but it's not unreasonable.

• smartaone2smartaone2 Alum Member
    512 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Apparently, LSAC just instituted fee increases and they are bananas. LSAT is now $190, test center and date change fees are $125, CAS registration is $195 and the doozy - CAS reports are now $45 (up from $35).

https://www.lsac.org/jd/applying-to-law-school/lsat-cas-fees?view=1

This is ridiculous! Sorry but what is the purpose for these significant increases aside from the obvious?

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited May 2018 4850 karma

I did not spend last night at a Holiday Inn Express, but I did register for the July LSAT yesterday. Guess I saved a cool $10.00...

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/wgsiz.gif

• ATLsat_2019ATLsat_2019 Member
    455 karma

Was literally just sitting here contemplating a test center change :'(

• jyarmojyarmo Alum Member
    350 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

That same cost would have been $895 for last year, making this a roughly 14% increase in cost. That is a crazy amount. I was frustrated that the test center/date change fees were $100 last year, $125 is nuts. Particularly the test center change, it costs them literally nothing. $125 with no expenses is so much.

Yeah I am totally with you on the test change fee - $125?!? Really? That's a silly amount of money for a small administrative change.

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

I’m also not surprised but I agree it sucks. They’re going to keep raising it as high as they can because people have to pay either way.

• btate87btate87 Alum Member
    782 karma

Even more glad I did that digital LSAT for a free one now

• Ruthy AguilaRuthy Aguila Member
    19 karma

The exclusivity of the legal profession continues with this shift.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

It's been a month now since my second transcript was received by them (they now have 2/3), and I still have no academic report. So... they need more money for what, exactly?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@AudaciousRed Have you paid the CAS fee? They don't issue a report until that is paid. But also, I don't believe they will compile a report until transcripts for all schools are in.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited May 2018 2689 karma

@"Leah M B" Yep. Since before I sent in the first transcript, they were paid. I think it's just part of my ridiculous, "You have got to be kidding me" week from hell.
    Even my PT scores have suffered immensely this week.
    I keep wondering what ancient god has it out for me this time.