Accepted to Davis - need advice

legallyblondeeelegallyblondeee Alum Member
edited May 2018 in Law School Admissions 54 karma

Just got into Davis with $10,000/year. I would LOVE to go there. But I'm so scared of taking on that much debt. Stuck between there and a much better financial offer (basically no debt at all) at a very low ranked school. Any advice would be helpful

Comments

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

First off, congrats on Davis! I would commit to Davis over a much lower ranked school because even though it is a lot of debt, I see it as more so investing in the future. Also, I feel as though it would give me a bigger motivation to get a good job, etc. But either way, congratulations! That's amazing.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    edited May 2018 5320 karma

What would you like to do with your law degree and where would you like to do it?

Congrats!

• legallyblondeeelegallyblondeee Alum Member
    54 karma

@NotMyName said:
    What would you like to do with your law degree and where would you like to do it?

Congrats!

Thank you! I am hoping to work in the San Francisco Bay Area in the private sector (not big law) doing employment or education law.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Thank you! I am hoping to work in the San Francisco Bay Area in the private sector (not big law) doing employment or education law.

Just glanced at the ABA disclosures. About 25% of their grads go on to work in companies smaller than 100 employees. They also have only 4% unemployment rate for recent grads and 72% employment rate (only looking at JD required/advantaged or professional positions).

I'd say that unless you have existing, reliable connections with a particular firm in SF, Davis is your best bet. However, I'd recommend downloading the ABA disclosures and comparing these schools for yourself.

The 50th percentile grant amount at Davis is $30k so you're matching that amount. You could try to bump that up by using this other scholarship offer.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

Depends on what your definition of "very low ranked" is, but Davis sounds quite good.

• legallyblondeeelegallyblondeee Alum Member
    54 karma

@FixedDice said:
    Depends on what your definition of "very low ranked" is, but Davis sounds quite good.

It's a rank not published school, located in Northern California as well.

• edited May 2018 439 karma

Congrats! Before read the above post I was assuming the other school was santa clara. NorCal boy here :]

I think the things to weigh here are financial implications vs finding success without prestige. Going to Davis puts you in debt but it also gives you an amount of prestige that follows you into interviews. The unnamed school gives you no debt but also forces you to overcome a seeming lack of prestige. I think a competent person can overcome their lack of prestige in a few minutes once they get their foot in the door. But having a top tier school on your resume certainly helps getting that foot in the door.

5 years down the line are you going to be happier with a job and no debt or a better job with some debt?

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Rank not published is a huge gap to UC Davis. You should try to negotiate.

If that does not work then with that goal and option your choice really should be UC Davis now vs reapplying(possibly after retaking) and hoping to get much more money from a school like UC Davis.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

I would recommend going to Davis.