Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Admissions consulting. Worth it?

CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
in General 1270 karma

I am very reluctantly considering paying for a admissions consulting company's help. I think $3000+ is insane. However, if I could get $3000 more in scholarships and/or get into a more desirable school I think it is worth it. Any thoughts? Have any of you paid for a service? And if so, what are your thoughts?

Comments

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

If I had the money I would totally use Spivey. It's definitely worth it because they help you craft a great application.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Hi - I think it depends on how much help you need. I bought an hour from a Spivey consultant and although she had some good insight, most of her comments were that my stuff looked really good. I think its because I'm pretty good with resumes and my attention to detail is off the wall. I prob won't buy anymore time and just ask other people for help as needed.

I'm not sure of your situation but if you haven't had alot of work experience, don't really have anyone to run ideas by, are generally not great with attention to detail, have a crappy resume, are not sure where to start with your personal statements and have the money, then maybe its worth a shot.

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

@LCMama2017 I didn’t know you could buy just an hour. How much does that cost?

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Yep. I think $300. Crazy, huh? I wanted to try it out before shelling out $3k.

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

Keep in mind that 7sage offers several options, like unlimited edits of one essay (probably personal statement but can be used for resume, or whatever) so depending what exactly you need help with, this may be a good alternative :)

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited May 2018 3652 karma

If you can afford it and you have a decent amount of time to perfect your app and apply early, then I think it is worth it. I dont think it's worth it to pay for a consultant it in like November and then try to get your apps in within a few weeks. I also dont think it's worth it if you'll end up applying late in the cycle bc why bother spending all that money on a consultant if one factor that ends up getting you waitlisted instead of accepted is bc you applied too close to the deadline. I'm between getting the 3k or the 5k from Spivey and I think I'm going to go with the 5k one which includes help with waitlists and negotiating. Bc again, why bother paying all that money for a consultant if you end up waitlisted and that extra 2k could've gotten you the perfect get off the waitlist formula. I dont have any personal experience with consultants, that's just my thought pattern with how I want this cycle to go after not being happy with last cycle.

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

@"surfy surf" Just so you know, you can buy the cheaper package with Spivey and then upgrade to the full $5,000 package if you do end up needing additional help with scholarships or waitlists. The upgrade is just the difference of price between the two packages, so unless you anticipate needing a lot of help in the post admissions department, I think it makes more sense to save money and just opt for the cheaper package.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited May 2018 3652 karma

@LindsMitch said:
    @"surfy surf" Just so you know, you can buy the cheaper package with Spivey and then upgrade to the full $5,000 package if you do end up needing additional help with scholarships or waitlists. The upgrade is just the difference of price between the two packages, so unless you anticipate needing a lot of help in the post admissions department, I think it makes more sense to save money and just opt for the cheaper package.

Ooh really?! thank you (: you may have just saved me ~$2k!
    I spoke w an admissions consultant a couple months ago and she said that, if I don't get the $5k package, they may not be available later on for a-la-carte scholarships/WL advice bc they'll be so busy later on in the cycle with people who actually did pay for the $5k package. She didnt mention an upgrade. I'll look into that, maybe I just didnt ask the right questions/misunderstood her.

• jkjohnson1991jkjohnson1991 Alum Member
    766 karma

I was definitely going to look into this. I do not have a strong resume and UGPA is underwhelming, hence why I am going all in to knock out this LSAT and hope my unique work experience and PS can work some magic. I figured it was expensive but 5K, sheesh..

I guess its worth it if you get a return but that is still tough to shell out. Thanks for all of the good responses in here.

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

@"surfy surf" yes I just spoke to someone from Spivey a couple days ago and she told me this. I guess if you do sign up, you’d probably want to confirm that with whoever you’ll be working with. But yeah, save that money haha.

On a more general note, it is definitely a tough call deciding to invest in the consult. It definitely is expensive and hard to know for sure if it will make a huge difference. Right now my gut is telling me to splurge a little, so I will probably end up doing some sort of consulting even if I don’t opt for the big package.

• paralegaltolawyer3paralegaltolawyer3 Free Trial Member
    80 karma

Shelling out the $ for the 7Sage Comprehensive Consulting has paid for itself multiple times over for me. Feel free to check out my review and PM me if you have any questions. I got a respectable scholarship at a school I would not have gotten into without @"David.Busis."

https://7sage.com/admissions/reviews/

I approached consulting as an investment in my future + future earning potential, and could not be happier that I chose 7Sage for it.

• Nabintou-1Nabintou-1 Alum Member
    410 karma

Seconding the 7Sage Comprehensive Admissions Consulting recommendation. Currently enrolled and in all honesty, it's amazing. The personal statement editing alone is extremely helpful, especially with catching the things that are easily overlooked and enhancing small details that really make all the difference in the essay. I'm still in the PS phase, haven't gotten to having my resume or DS edited but there's no doubt in my mind both will be just as great. Also, it's extremely personalized, which is always super helpful.

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited October 2018 1028 karma

• spitzy11spitzy11 Alum Member
    772 karma

7sage Comprehensive Consulting Package is 100% an amazing choice! Speaking from someone who used it :) > @paralegaltolawyer3 said:

I got a respectable scholarship at a school I would not have gotten into without @"David.Busis."

I also 100% second this as it pertains to my own cycle!

• sn11_________sn11_________ Alum Member
    103 karma

What are good consulting companies to look at besides 7Sage and Spivey?

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    edited May 2018 894 karma

@Emily2122 said:
    If I had the money I would totally use Spivey. It's definitely worth it because they help you craft a great application.

I've heard of them. But I find it hard navigating their site. Does anyone know how much their prices range from? From starting price to most expensive?

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited May 2018 3072 karma

It's probably worth it if you think your application can be competitive with a little fine tuning. Everyone should have at least one other person review their entire application regardless of circumstance. Yes, even, and especially, if your personal statement is "personal" in nature.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

$3000 plus is insane. At that point I hope it doesn't work because if it does non-wealthy applicants are going to frequently get priced out of law school admissions.

That said I would say if you have the money and also have the money to apply to a broad range of schools, take all the time and resources you need to study for the LSAT, and retake the LSAT as many times as you need to, then it is probably a small price to pay. $150,000 or $165,000 is a huge amount which is at stake and if they can get you that type of a scholarship one thirtieth of the time where you wouldn't otherwise get it, then it is definitely worth it. But almost universally those other things studying and retaking the LSAT will make a bigger difference so if you can't buy it all, skip the admissions consulting.

For what it is worth, I did just fine without it and am glad I didn't spend the money, but I may have underperformed slightly as far as my numbers went this cycle. I am a KJD with limited experience so I had somewhat expected that. I would say that for us boring types it is less worth the cost than someone who has a really compelling narrative to tell that they really need help relaying better.

• 3 karma

Not worth it at all.