Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What music ya'll listen to

in Off-topic 439 karma

Just curious.

My favorite music blog posted about this band's album coming out tomorrow. Can't stop listening to the song they have available today.

https://humannoiserecords.bandcamp.com/album/wished-bone-cellar-belly

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

My girlfriend and I are awfully parochial when it comes to music. The only artists played in our apartment are Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, and Johnny Cash. Some exceptions from time to time include Buena Vista Social Club and Amy Winehouse.

• edited May 2018 439 karma

@NotMyName Cohen is my guy. Does Tom Waits get any air time in your apartment?

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Not for a long time, but thanks for the reminder. I'm putting "Little drop of Poison" on right now...

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Metal mostly.

From AC/DC to Slipknot to A Day to Remember and everything inbetween.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited May 2018 8689 karma

Stumbled into a nice post: Cash and Waits both get a mention!
    Just listened to “Hold On” and “It’s all over” today.

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

Tremonti (new album dropping soon!), Alter Bridge, Creed (don't hate) and various rap artists

• ad_coelumad_coelum Alum Member
    285 karma

With a name like Gerth Brooks, I'd expect some country lovin'! :smile:

My main squeeze is 1950s-1970s tunes (esp disco & soul). I've been on a swing-binge lately. Something about "Sing, Sing, Sing" by Benny Goodman after successfully completing an LSAT section is so rewarding -- haha!

I also love classical, opera, electronica/trance/house, rap (LeCrae, Aaron Cole) and jazz. Up for (nearly) anything!

• MicolashMicolash Member
    edited May 2018 218 karma

When I need to do some intense studying, I usually listen to the sound of rain. If not, I am a huge fan of soundtracks in general. Everything from films, games, and TV shows. They're normally designed for background/ambiance settings and I have always enjoyed listening to them while being able to focus on studying at the same time. Something I would recommend would probably be Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon's soundtrack as it is an unusual blend of Western and Eastern musical styles. I also really enjoy Desplat's work all around (Harry Potter, The Grand Budapest Hotel, etc.) and our local favorite Hans Zimmer.

• ATLsat_2019ATLsat_2019 Member
    455 karma

@Micolash Lots of Hans Zimmer for me lately as well. Been keeping the Interstellar soundtrack on repeat while I study. All of the minimalist organ music has been just what I need to stay focused recently.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

Classical music and concert band music. Some of my favorite works include Symphonie fantastique, Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1, and Perthshire Majesty.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited May 2018 2689 karma

And there I was, thinking I'd be the weirdo again and someone drops "Zimmer" and "Interstellar". :smile: :smile:
    I have an entire playlist of scores and soundtracks. I especially like superhero movies (Nolan's Batman series had some great music). The energy gets you going and keeps you moving.
    My other playlist is filled with EDM, 90's (SP, Foo Fighters, etc), some 2000's and other alternative songs. Lindsey Sterling is a big one.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Guess I'm the odd man out! I love me some salsa, cumbia, merengue and bachata - You can catch me dancing to any of these tunes at any given time!

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

All of you soundtrack lovers, do you ever listen to "The Score" with Edmund Stone ? Comes on public radio stations...it is pretty sweet, he will sometimes interview composers and typically devotes a show to the work of one composer or to the score of one movie. @AudaciousRed @Micolash @ATLsat_2019

• Trust the ProcessTrust the Process Alum Member
    304 karma

Any soundtrack from a Studio Ghibli movie works for me.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

Hip-hop, rap, pop, R&B type stuff, alternative, a little classic rock, country.

lol

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

I go through phases where I either don't listen to much music at all, or else I spend days at a time obsessing over finding recent releases and obscure gems. The only thing I consistently dislike is Nashville Country. If it's contemporary Country, it's Outlaw or nothing as far as I'm concerned. Other than that, I like essentially everything from Bach to NWA, and a lot of what I stumble across outside of the Western tradition.

A few perennial favorites are Tom Waits (of course), Felice Bros, Bowie, Beethoven, Dre, Townes Van Zandt, The Eels, AC/DC, The Who, Titus Andronicus, and Arctic Monkeys.

Most recently, I've been on a 90's kick and then revisiting Kate Tempest, a poet turned rapper who released what to me was the best album of 2016: Let Them Eat Chaos.

2134 karma

@"Sarah J." said:
    Any soundtrack from a Studio Ghibli movie works for me.

Love Totoro :smile:

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Usually smooth jazz during studying (words take my attention away if I know the song; start to jam hard haha) along with my beach bar station on Pandora. I am a big traditional and Texas country fan too (get that bro country outta here!!!!)

@"aviated.wings" haha yeah. I don't though. My name just makes me grin like an idiot. I like that era too. I had a huge doo-wop phase recently.

@FixedDice Top three favorite composers? Mine are: Rachmaninoff, Bach, Debussy (not in that order(maybe in that order))

@"Cant Get Right" Me too. I'm in one of those musical phases right now. Outlaw country? Is that an Archer reference?

27809 karma

@"gerth.brooks" Haha, I'd forgotten they do basically a whole season on that! They're actually referencing a real sub-genre which emerged in the 70's and 80's. Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings are probably the most iconic, and they formed the center of the counter movement. But basically anyone working outside of the sound that Nashville labels and producers were demanding gets counted even if they weren't a part of Willie and Waylon's sphere of influence. As bad as the Nashville stuff mostly is, the reaction against it was something of a golden era.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Wow, what an interesting mix on here! It's cliche, but I really do listen to a little of everything. Granted, a lot more podcasts than music these days. But, I'm a sucker for anything 90s dance/pop, alternative, indie pop, straight up top 40 pop, Broadway soundtracks and some artier things. Lately have been listening to a lot of Sigur Ros in the background while I study. Kinda perfect background music like that, but also you guys got me inspired to rotate in some soundtracks too.

The assorted list of what gets played the most in my spotify: Carly Rae Jepsen, Sigur Ros, Tegan and Sara, Chvrches, Jimmy Eat World, John Mayer, Matt and Kim, Death Cab for Cutie, Hamilton soundtrack, Dear Evan Hansen soundtrack, Justin Timberlake, Ed Sheeran, Copeland, Bon Iver, and an assortment of standup comedy albums (but that's not music, I know haha).

• taladt99taladt99 Alum Member
    9 karma

I know you guys are talking about favorite type of music and not necessarialy anything LSAT related, but this playlist changed my life. it's very hard for me to focus, study for long period of times, etc. it helped me tremendously. :) here it is:

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited May 2018 1028 karma

I listen to a lot of alt-country, jazz, bluegrass, 70s/80s punk, 90s alt-rock, and traditional folk music from different cultures. As a musician though, I find it far too distracting to listen to anything while I study... there's too much going on in the music that I would rather listen to and learn from instead of just poring over more LSAT material haha.

@"Cant Get Right" Good to see that Townes Van Zandt made someone else's list! He truly is one of the most underrated song writers in American music. All of the recordings on his Live at the Old Quarter and Whole Coffeehouse albums are pure poetry.

• 439 karma

@"Leah M B" Sigur Ros is definitely good study music. I LOVE CHVRCHES, and most all of the other newer synth pop bands with a girl vocalist e.g. Broods, Sylvan Esso, Prutiy Ring

@taladt99 I like that a lot. Its bringing me back to my days in eve online. Have you ever tried listening to straight binaural beats?

27809 karma

@LastLSAT , completely agreed. He’s every bit on par with Dylan or Simon, yet remains relatively obscure. I bought a record player just so that I could listen to Old Quarter on vinyl. To really experience it right, crank the heat up and grab a few cheap beers to stay cool!

• rpadr007rpadr007 Member
    101 karma

My fav band atm is JY and the 7 Sagers

2134 karma

My four year-old is currently listening to Living on a Prayer ad nauseam... gotta love the big hair bands of my day :wink:

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    edited May 2018 894 karma

The new Arctic Monkeys came out today. So, that's what I'm listening to. But during BR and meditating, I really like this--

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

@"gerth.brooks" That's difficult... I never tried to rank composers. The three that come to my mind at the moment are Berlioz, Saint-Saëns, and Tchaikovsky.

@FixedDice The roster of composers I'm familiar with is kind of limited. Maybe that's why I find it easy to pick favorites. I'm not a "real" classical listener but I do appreciate what classical offers that modern music doesn't. Can't say I've given Berlioz or Saint-Saens a fair shake, but I will.

@rpadr007 I see what you did there... I wonder what kind of music J.Y. listens to...

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Sadly, not much in the way of Public radio around where I live. On a good day, sometimes. We don't have a great deal of culture on the radio outside of pop and country music. :/

• Simple ManSimple Man Alum Member
    448 karma

Lynyrd Skynyrd never gets old for me.

• ShownuffShownuff Alum Member
    222 karma

D.C Go-Go

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    edited May 2018 1363 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Wow, what an interesting mix on here! It's cliche, but I really do listen to a little of everything. Granted, a lot more podcasts than music these days. But, I'm a sucker for anything 90s dance/pop, alternative, indie pop, straight up top 40 pop, Broadway soundtracks and some artier things. Lately have been listening to a lot of Sigur Ros in the background while I study. Kinda perfect background music like that, but also you guys got me inspired to rotate in some soundtracks too.

The assorted list of what gets played the most in my spotify: Carly Rae Jepsen, Sigur Ros, Tegan and Sara, Chvrches, Jimmy Eat World, John Mayer, Matt and Kim, Death Cab for Cutie, Hamilton soundtrack, Dear Evan Hansen soundtrack, Justin Timberlake, Ed Sheeran, Copeland, Bon Iver, and an assortment of standup comedy albums (but that's not music, I know haha).

I love Sigur Ros as well! I've been listening to them a lot lately. Incredibly ethereal sounding music -- it has quite the calming effect. Hoppipolla and Sæglópur are my favorites.

Would you (or anyone else) happen to know of similar-ish post-rock/indie pop bands/artists? I haven't had much success in looking for bands that play music of the same genre...

• T. ManusT. Manus Free Trial Member
    edited May 2018 20 karma

Akira Kosemura-ambient pianist
    New Beach House Aalbum
    Charlie Ross, The Charlie Ross Project- all around solid boom-bap album.

3072 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    I go through phases where I either don't listen to much music at all, or else I spend days at a time obsessing over finding recent releases and obscure gems. The only thing I consistently dislike is Nashville Country. If it's contemporary Country, it's Outlaw or nothing as far as I'm concerned. Other than that, I like essentially everything from Bach to NWA, and a lot of what I stumble across outside of the Western tradition.

A few perennial favorites are Tom Waits (of course), Felice Bros, Bowie, Beethoven, Dre, Townes Van Zandt, The Eels, AC/DC, The Who, Titus Andronicus, and Arctic Monkeys.

Most recently, I've been on a 90's kick and then revisiting Kate Tempest, a poet turned rapper who released what to me was the best album of 2016: Let Them Eat Chaos.

I love your taste. :]

• lizpillizpil Member
    282 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    Metal mostly.

From AC/DC to Slipknot to A Day to Remember and everything inbetween.

Hero.

• lizpillizpil Member
    282 karma

I listen to this:

• OneFortyDotSixOneFortyDotSix Alum Member
    634 karma

I can't recommend Of Monster's and Men emphatically enough.

edited May 2018 3072 karma

I like mansionz lately. Blackbear is decent on his own, Mike Posner is alright. Together they are weirdly great.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    edited May 2018 8392 karma

@thisissparta said:

@"Leah M B" said:

I love Sigur Ros as well! I've been listening to them a lot lately. Incredibly ethereal sounding music -- it has quite the calming effect. Hoppipolla and Sæglópur are my favorites.

Would you (or anyone else) happen to know of similar-ish post-rock/indie pop bands/artists? I haven't had much success in looking for bands that play music of the same genre...

Hmm... I don't know a lot in that genre, and I think Sigur Ros are in a class of their own. <3 But maybe check out Explosions in the Sky? I also think Bon Iver and Volcano Choir fit into that genre for me too, more or less. English lyrics, but nearly as difficult to understand as Icelandic haha.

• Hamaseh_SHamaseh_S Alum Member
    436 karma

Hayden James, SG Lewis, Majid Jordan

If you're a in-the-car-only music listener and like those artists/house-ish music... omg blast NUMB by Hayden James or Throne by ASADI

• Hamaseh_SHamaseh_S Alum Member
    edited May 2018 436 karma

@goingfor99th said:

lol

Favorite R& B and alternative music or artists rn??

• carlos.raiz23carlos.raiz23 Alum Member
    195 karma

A Tribe Called Quest/NAS>>>>>>>>>

edited May 2018 3072 karma

@Hamaseh_S said:

@goingfor99th said:

lol

I'm an old man so I listen to a lot of older stuff, but right now I like The Weeknd, Khalid, Drake, Post Malone, ZAYN. I enjoy a lot of the newer pop/hip-hop female artists. I really like Demi, Ariana, Bebe Rexha. Cardi B is alright sometimes lol.

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    1184 karma

I listen to absolutely everything . I can go from rapping Cardi B in my car to vibing to Nirvana. Some of my favorite artists of all time now are Beyonce because is she the queen, Coldplay, Kendrick Lamar, J Cole, Lana Del Rey, Rihanna, Eminem, Maroon 5 etc. As a Torontonian I will always include Drake and The Weeknd in my mix.

• Keane XavierKeane Xavier Alum Member
    edited May 2018 171 karma

For R&B artists, I'm surprised Frank Ocean hasn't been mentioned on this thread--that is, if I haven't missed mention of him. Beyond Frank, you should look into Moses Sumney's new album, Aromanticism, which draws on R&B and neo-soul influences. James Blake's The Color in Everything album is also phenomenal, and it features a more electronic-focused R&B sound. There's also Sampha, whose Process album is similarly an electronic approach to R&B, though with more soul influence. Sampha collaborated with some big-name artists in the industry as a producer before embarking on a solo career. Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Anderson .Paak, whose Malibu album I couldn't stop playing for a year.

For indie-pop artists, I'd recommend Rainbow Kitten Surprise's new album, How to: Friend, Love, Freefall, which flirts with indie-pop and hip-hop genres. Along the same lines, in that they have a similar sound, I'd also encourage you to listen to Magic City Hippies' EP, Hippie Castle EP. (I am not kidding about those names.)

If you listen to folk and alternative, my favorite artists, by far, are Bon Iver--who also, in a tangential but somewhat related note, collaborated with James Blake on his The Color in Everything album and has other collaborative projects in Volcano Choir and The Shouting Matches--the Fleet Foxes, and Andrew Bird. I'd recommend everything by these artists, though the Fleet Foxes' Helplessness Blues and Bon Iver's Bon Iver album were, and remain, particularly important to me. They both grapple with how to make meaning and sense of the world, and I listened to those albums at a time where that exploration resonated with me.

• Keane XavierKeane Xavier Alum Member
    171 karma

Also, if you like classical rock 'n' roll, such as AC/DC or Led Zeppelin (among a litany of others), you should check out Greta Van Fleet. They've crafted a classical rock sound with an astonishing similarity. When I heard them, I couldn't believe they were a contemporary band.

• Jennifer 2021-1-1Jennifer 2021-1-1 Core Member
    204 karma

LSAT SONG ---- Barns Courtney - Champion

• AngusMcGillisAngusMcGillis Member
    edited May 2018 403 karma

Seems like everyone studying for the LSAT likes classic rock lol.

I love everything from folk to grime(Stormzy anyone?)
    but I'm a huge bass head, so pretty much anything breakbeat, and steady beat.

LSAT doesn't leave me with much time for music anymore, but I've been feeling Bonobo lately (jazz/triphop) and Childish Gambino's "This is America" is mad.

@goingfor99th said:

@Hamaseh_S said:

@goingfor99th said:

lol

I'm an old man so I listen to a lot of older stuff, but right now I like The Weeknd, Khalid, Drake, Post Malone, ZAYN. I enjoy a lot of the newer pop/hip-hop female artists. I really like Demi, Ariana, Bebe Rexha. Cardi B is alright sometimes lol.

Posty, ayyy.