Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much improvement to expect?

NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
in General 1654 karma
I have been studying since December and have improved significantly. I completed the 7sage curriculum in a month and a half and have seen a 19 point increase so far. My diagnostic was a 147, second preptest- 155, 3rd- 166, 4th- 165. My goal is to score higher than a 168, but I would really like to score above 170 and attend a T13 school in hopes of securing a NYC Biglaw job. Is it fathomable to jump up to the 170s after having already improved substantially?
I really need to improve on RC (I consistently get around -8)
I bought Cambridge drilling packets, Powerscore Bibles, Powerscore Bible Workbooks, and The LSAT Trainer.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Keep on drilling! You've come a long way! How are your BR scores? If over 170, I'd say all you need to do now is to work on timing/confidence mentality/misc stuff.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    I usually never change my answers during BR. I usually convince myself that the answers are correct.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    It absolutely is possible, keep pushing!
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    Possible... keep on working at it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    578 karma
    If you have improved since December 2014, you have a shot at 180. But if your talking about December 2013 or older, then by June see how much further you can go. Here is one helpful advice my tutor at testmasters give me,
    You will always wish you worked harder and gotten a better score even if you end up with a 175. Sometimes you just have to face the reality that you may not go higher than you wished for in time .
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    It's possible! For RC I would suggest that you read The Economist daily, it has helped me improve on RC.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    In the same way that there are similarities between answer choices in LR, I would say that's definitely true in RC. You can eliminate and anticipate answer choices based on the question given to you. Think about RC as one long LR passage and apply the same skills you use to tackle LR questions to RC. It will be very time consuming at first but then second nature.

Also, hang in there! I I have so many friends that made 20+ jumps in their LSAT studying and got from the low 150s to mid/high 170s, which is very similar to where you're att. You can do it, just PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! :D
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    If you have only taken 4 practice tests, you can most likely continue increasing your score. Preparing for the LSAT involves two elements. (1) Understanding the concepts and the techniques involved. (2) Implementing these techniques into your thought process and practicing until the point that it becomes natural/mechanical.

After completing the 7sage curriculum, you are ready to tackle practice tests. But the more tests you do, the more you will be internalizing the methods you learned. At times you will need to refer back to the lessons, but the practice tests will be the crucial part of reinforcing those methods into your process. So since you have only done 4, I'd predict increases accompanying your future tests.

Good luck!
  • TBH.11235TBH.11235 Free Trial Member
    edited February 2015 88 karma
    170+ is definitely possible. I jumped from a 151 (diagnostic) to an end score of 173 (real thing). My brother went from 151 --> 171. One of my study partners got a 168/169 (can't remember which) on his first real attempt, got a 180 on his retake.

There is nothing genetic or inherent about this test. I hate when I hear people say that they just "aren't good" at the LSAT, as though some people come out of the womb being able to do RC or LG. Proper LSAT study isn't composed of learning tricks or shortcuts for beating the test, rather, it changes the way you think to make you more logical and less flawed in your thinking. Sometimes it takes a long time to transform your brain, but it's possible (i.e. brain plasticity).

As @blah170blah said, think about RC as one big LR section. LSAC uses many similar tricks on RC answer choices as they do for LR. There is an RC version of MBT questions, as well as RC strengthen and weaken questions. If there is a huge delta between your LR and RC performance, then diagnose why that may be, given that the two sections have a lot in common.
  • mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    938 karma
    I second what @TBh.11235 said. I use to think the same way about the exam. Thoughts like "how I probably just have the potential for a 160 because these test are hard." But that kind of thinking is usually what keeps the mental block from going away. So while I waited for my score in December I took a month and a half off. When I received my score and realized I wasn't very happy with it, I knew I needed to retake. Now everything seems to click even more than before. I am able to do better on LR, RC, and my LG were always solid. Literally, noticing the context, shifts in arguments, premise, and conclusion in RC and LR will make those sections a piece of cake. Once it becomes second nature, all question types become easy. Especially the questions that require conditional logic.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    @royaimani I have been studying since December 2014 (2 months).
    Thanks for the responses. I just have one more question: Should I not take around 8-10 PTs and save them just in case I don't score above 170 and need to retake?
    Or should I not BR every PT, so I can take them again at a later date?
  • TBH.11235TBH.11235 Free Trial Member
    88 karma
    I think the fundamental mindset behind this question should be reconsidered. Each PT should be considered an absolutely precious resource, and you should be doing everything you can to squeeze every last bit of learning out of every single one. Consider the following example cycle for taking and reviewing PTs.

http://tinypic.com/r/153bucl/8

If you are doing something this comprehensive, then running out of PTs shouldn't be an issue.

If you still want to consider whether to save PT's, then figure out how well you remember PT material. Some people have extremely good memories, so they can't reuse PT's. In this case, you should save a few. I have a terrible short and long-term memory, so I was able to reuse a lot of PTs after maybe a month of not seeing them.
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    802 karma
    @alexandergreene93 I studied for about 10 months ( I work full time, so needed a little longer to reach my goal score). I started in a similar score range as your diagnostic and reached your goal range after hovering in the high 160s for a few months. On the outcomes side of things, I'm in at several T14 schools this cycle so yes, your goal is reachable.

Keep at it, and don't stop taking PTs. If you need to retake, so be it. I took EVERY PT I had before my first take and did a retake after studying older material I had already seen. I still improved both on my BR and on my actual retake. I wouldn't worry about holding material in reserve once you've finished the course completely and you're into the PT world.

You can do it!!!
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    Ah @"joegotbored-1" you make me feel better about my ability! Thanks for sharing :)