Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PTs: 4 vs 5 sections

Julia LJulia L Alum Member
in General 354 karma
So far I've only been taking 4 section PTs. Was thinking I would increase it to 5 when I am comfortable with my scoring.

I remember JY saying it doesn't make a big difference, but what are your thoughts/experiences on practicing 4 vs 5 sections? Would taking 5 section PTs strengthen your endurance? I think you have to substitute an additional section from a different PT, so wouldn't the type of section also make a difference on your overall score?

Comments

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    How are you currently taking your 4 section PT's?
  • Julia LJulia L Alum Member
    354 karma
    I use the 7sage test proctor.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    Honestly, from taking the test in December, I actually did not know that sometimes the experimental section is in the first 3 sections and your last two sections are counted.

I think there is some benefit from taking a 5 section practice test, especially in terms of endurance. With that said, you could also build endurance other ways, so you're not limited to this option, but I definitely would try doing a 5 section prep test a few times before your exam.
    2116 karma
    ^actually the majority of the time the experimental is in the first 3 sections.
    354 karma
    What kind of section does it tend to be? I hope LG...
    354 karma
    According to this, after Oct 2011, the experimental could appear in any of the sections. And I guess it could be anything. Booo :(

http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/experimental.cfm
    2116 karma
    ^IMO, that's only one instance of a PT where some experimentals were after the break. I've been following the September and December tests on TLS and the vast majority had their experimental before break. Same happened when I took the Feb one two weeks ago. It's all anecdotal, nonetheless.

It's fair game whether your exp is LG/LR/RC. I lucked out because my exp was LG lol but don't count on it. If your worst section is RC, do 5-section PT's with an older RC section as your exp. In the end, don't get caught up with trying to figure out what's the experimental. You do that after you're done with the test. ;)
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    @ddakjiking I'm confused by your comment lol. I indicated that I did not know that it would be in there first three sections lol.
    2116 karma
    @harrismegan I guess I forgot a word like "Yeah" or something lol. But it's no big deal. Like I said, I wouldn't get so caught up with the exp thing. It caused me to freak out for a few minutes on my test.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    I've probably done a 5 section test once in my life.... didn't feel the need to do it ever again.... didn't make much of a difference for me either in Dec 2013 or Dec 2014... it really doesn't make a difference except maybe for your confidence (i.e. I've done this before... I've sat through a 5hr test before) that's about it. That said, if you want to do it, I don't see why not.... practice is practice.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    I'm thinking about taking 1 PT per week with 5 sections. My reason being that I want to include an extra LG section from the LG bundle. Therefore, I think it will help in me in getting close to -0 or -2 in games.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    It definitely depends whether or not you think you'll have an energy problem. My adrenaline levels went through the roof during the exam (which I knew) and so I didn't feel any form of mental exhaustion until I got back home. I know high scorers who never took a 5 section test in their life and did fine, and there are others who suffered from not taking 5 section tests. Remember that the most important thing about PTing is simulating test day as much as you can and I would say the big priorities are sticking to the designated time, taking a 15 minute break only, no checking your answer choices after a section is over, and no bathroom breaks in between sections. The rest is gravy.