PT13.S2.Q26 - If Blankenship Enterprises has to switch suppliers

henry_01henry_01 Alum Member
edited May 2018 in Logical Reasoning 26 karma

PT 13, Sec. 2, Q26. Does "the only" in answer choice B refer to a necessary, or sufficient condition? Also, what exactly is "the condition" and "phenomenon" in B? Thanks

Admin note: edited title and edited out "#help" *The "#" marks a heading.

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited May 2018 9377 karma

Sorry, the “#help” is a feature for comments in the lessons. Putting the “#” sign in the beginning of your post makes the font size really big on the Forum (This is because you can use Markdown in your post.) :sweat_smile:

That being said, this question is testing a simple sufficiency/necessity confusion error.

A (switch suppliers)→ B (no profit)

B (no profit)→ A (switch suppliers)

But I get that (B) is confusing. I think (B) correctly points out the flaw by saying:

The argument didn't show that a condition [= A (switch suppliers) ] under which a phenomenon [=B (no profit)] is said to occur is the only condition under which the phenomenon occurs, which means....

The argument did not establish that

• the only condition under which the phenomenon [=B (no profit)] occurs is the condition A (switch suppliers).
    • = the phenomenon B happens only when the condition A occurs.

If A is the only condition under which a phenomenon (B) is said to occur, then that means B → A (A ↔︎ B ).

I know that you are asking, "Wait, but "the only" introduces sufficient conditions, right?" And you are right. I think "the only condition under which the phenomenon [=B (no profit)] occurs is the condition A (switch suppliers)" can be translated as:

• The only condition that makes B happen is the condition A. (B → A)
    • The only time the phenomenon B occurs is under the condition A. (B → A)
  • henry_01henry_01 Alum Member
    edited May 2018 26 karma

deleted

• henry_01henry_01 Alum Member
    26 karma

Never mind. Looks like you're right. Thanks!