PT50.S1.Q13 (P2) - In many Western societies

lsatyayylsatyayy Alum Member
edited May 2018 in Reading Comprehension 178 karma

Hi. I'm stuck in question 13 of PT 50 section 1's second reading passage.
This question asks to most weaken the author's arg against harsh punishment for debtors. My choice was D, because I thought D weakens author's arg by giving an example where harsh punishment has nothing to do with local economy (at least it doesn't hinder the growth of the local economy) therefore the harsh punishment should be continued.

However the correct answer is E. The moment I read E, I knew that could work. But because E sounded too broad ( "greater economic health..." ) I chose D.

Why is E the answer? Does anyone know why?

Here is 7sage link to the questions:

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-50-section-1-passage-2-questions/

Comments

• lsatyayylsatyayy Alum Member
    178 karma

bump :(

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

Hi @lsatyayy

I understand your point, and I think this is a very tricky question. So I don't know if my explanation would be good enough.

The reason why I eliminated (D) when I did this PT was because "the court-ordered liquidation" didn't seem to be "harsh punishment."

The line 45 mentions "a court-directed reorganization" as the mechanism of modern bankruptcy law, which tries to address the shortcomings of the punitive approach. The author says that "may still serve a punitive function" (Line 52), but I believe this shows that "the court-ordered liquidation" is not considered as "harsh punishment."

178 karma

@akistotle

Oh wow. That totally makes sense. "The court-ordered liquidation" equals "a court-directed reorganization," which means D can't weaken the arg because it's actually in line with the author's arg.

Hey, I notice it's always you who helps and give me 'a-ha moment' when I post questions here!!! I don't know if you are a staff, a tutor, or a fellow student,but if you are like me--a fellow LSATer--thank you and good luck on your studying!

edited May 2018 178 karma

The more I study LSAT the more I'm impressed by how well written this test is. I'm surprised how many times I think the right answer is wrong, but then there's always that clear and very straight forward reason why the right is right and the wrong is wrong. Great test. But hurts me a little... :neutral:

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@lsatyayy said:
    Hey, I notice it's always you who helps and give me 'a-ha moment' when I post questions here!!! I don't know if you are a staff, a tutor, or a fellow student,but if you are like me--a fellow LSATer--thank you and good luck on your studying!

Thank you, and you're welcome! :blush: It's probably because we're in the same time zone! I'm not a tutor; I'm a fellow LSATer who recently became a moderator of this 7Sage Forum (that's why I have the Administrator title!)

@lsatyayy said:
    The more I study LSAT the more I'm impressed by how well written this test is. I'm surprised how many times I think the right answer is wrong, but then there's always that clear and very straight forward reason why the right is right and the wrong is wrong. Great test. But hurts me a little... :neutral:

I know! I'm sometimes so impressed by the LSAT writers! :joy: