Any good meditations out there for high-anxiety/high-stress people such as myself?

JohnnyKarateJohnnyKarate Member
in General 157 karma

I've actually gotten better at managing my anxiety, however, any time I try meditation I can never focus hard or long enough. I always get too distracted, too bored, too side-tracked, etc. I know I'm making excuses, but I have really really tried to no avail. Can anyone help?

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

yin yoga

• aleksandahcwaleksandahcw Free Trial Member
    2 karma

I find some of the YouTube videos with relaxing music and guided meditations to be helpful, also, if you can’t clear your mind, just concentrate on your breathing and try to focus on that. I’m trying to get better too, I hope you find something that works for you!

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited June 2018 9372 karma

I think many 7Sages use Headspace (http://headspace.com) or Calm (https://www.calm.com). I use Calm and it seems to be working pretty well for me.

Someone recently recommended 10% Happier to me and it's good:
    http://www.10percenthappier.com/

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

There are many different resources, but I would just recommend sitting and focusing on your breath for 5 minutes. If 5 minutes is too long, try three minutes. Carve out some quiet time when you can just sit.

• testfromawaytestfromaway Alum Member
    280 karma

I really love Simple Habit. They have a Before an Exam meditation that I used today before a PT and it was super helpful. They also have specific anxiety meditations, and study break meditations. I much prefer guided meditation over silent (or nature noise) meditation because I get distracted unless there's someone walking me through the whole thing

• ATLsat_2019ATLsat_2019 Member
    455 karma

I like headspace. They have a huge variety of meditations and some of them are only 3 minutes. I think no matter what you use, try to meditate at least once daily to really get in the habit. That's helped me clear my mind a lot lately.

• Ryan EdwardRyan Edward Member
    9 karma

Prayer of Saint Francis

Lord make me an instrument of your peace
    Where there is hatred let me sow love
    Where there is injury, pardon
    Where there is doubt, faith
    Where there is despair, hope
    Where there is darkness, light
    And where there is sadness, joy
    O divine master grant that I may
    not so much seek to be consoled as to console
    to be understood as to understand
    To be loved as to love
    For it is in giving that we receive
    it is in pardoning that we are pardoned
    And it's in dying that we are born to eternal life
    Amen

• Ryan EdwardRyan Edward Member
    9 karma

The prayer is pretty peaceful and my Grandpa used to sing it in choir. Beautiful song as well.

Another angle to approaching rest and peace.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Live Member
    5249 karma

Name of song?

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

If you are looking for an alternative to meditation, I really recommend vigorous exercise. I can relate to being high anxiety and high stress and brazilian jiu jitsu has helped me be more "in the moment".

P.S. LOVE Johnny Karate!!!!!!! #lilsebastianforever

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

the calm app - good luck

• cvo1cvo1 Alum Member
    edited June 2018 112 karma

Honest Meditation by Jason Headley on YouTube, if you love cursing and real talk.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

Download the Insight Timer app. There are tons of great ones! One of my favorites is "Believe in Yourself" by Stressfit. He literally tells you that you can do anything because you're amazing.

• Beast ModeBeast Mode Live Member
    839 karma

Hi there, have you tried guided meditations or reiki? Youtbe has a bunch of them. You can do this, I believe in you and you'll do great!!

Have a great weekend! :smile:

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    edited June 2018 894 karma

i prefer headspace over the calm app. but the calm app has a lot of free content and a beautiful interface. the headspace narrator voice is way more soothing imo. you just have to force yourself to do it. start out by meditating for 3 minutes. if you try to go 30 minutes as a beginner, you're almost guaranteed to get annoyed. eventually 10-15 minutes is sufficient enough for me. i also love kickboxing!

do you have insomnia?

• jyarmojyarmo Alum Member
    350 karma

I second the Headspace app recommendation, there is a good one for Focus that has helped me a ton. Also I think being sure to get good rest and deep relaxation on your off time is also key to keeping the test stress at bay. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this Insight Timer night meditation to get to a good deep sleep: https://insighttimer.com/jenniferpiercy/guided-meditations/yoga-nidra-for-sleep.

• kwdardiskwdardis Alum Member
    155 karma

I can second the advice for Simple Habit. The voices are much more pleasant and peaceful on that app. The voices on Calm are like nails on a chalkboard for me. As well, that is great advice from @iyarmo for Yoga Nidra. You can actually do Yoga Nidra any time for relaxation and calming. Youtube has some great videos for this.