Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I too old?

So I am 67, retired 2 years ago from a very satisfying career as a commercial interior architect with my own business, and I am ready to go down a new path in life. I have the benefit of a lot of lifetime learning experience, I can finally afford to go to school for the pleasure of learning, and I want to give back to the world around me. My idea is to get a law degree and then work for a larger firm on pro bono cases. I don't need the income (maybe they could give me insurance coverage or something), and I would be helping people or issues (maybe environmental) that really need it.
I took the 2007 test before I even signed up with 7Sage and got 152, and I am really benefiting from the course so far. I realize that I might not be qualified until I am in my early 70's, but that would still give me 10-15 years of helping people who really need it. I am in excellent health both mentally and physically.
When I was younger I worked full time while I finished my degree and I always wanted to be able to go to school for the pleasure of learning without the pressure of needing to support myself. From that point of view just going through the training and taking the LSAT is worth it on its own, because I am really enjoying the learning process. However, I would also like to be able to use what I learn.
Am I kidding myself into thinking I might have a viable path before me? I understand that most of you probably won't have much feedback for me because of the age difference, but all responses will be appreciated.

Comments

• btate87btate87 Alum Member
    782 karma

I can't speak to what employment opportunities may be available for you as well as some other people on the forum surely can. However, if you're in a place where you don't need the income, and it's something you really want to do then why not? Just make sure to study until you can go for free (or for an amount that isn't burdensome in the long term). Maybe meet with someone at a law school you're interested in to get their opinion, and think on if the learning experience could be enough for you by itself.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

No.

You're never too old :)

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

I don't think you're ever too old! I'm not sure how realistic it is to work for a larger firm on pro bono cases only. A more realistic possibility is you could work/volunteer at a non-profit while taking on pro bono cases as long as you have insurance--there is a huge need for this type of work--especially if you are volunteering.

• Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    edited June 2018 893 karma

No, not too old. I am a relatively older candidate and have talked to some admissions deans informally and nobody that I have talked to said it was not a problem. Don't see why that wouldn't apply to you also.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I heard of a person who finished a JD in their 70s. Another thing is some people have gone into the Peace Corps for retirement volunteer projects.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Never ever too old. And this will more than likely extend your life - keeping busy has a way of doing that. I have seen several articles of people in their 70s getting their JDs. Why not you?

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

No I don't think so! Its great that you want to do something new and give back!

My advice would be maybe reach out to some attorneys in the types of firms/practices you may want to join. Your not in law school yet so its not like you are asking for a job. Frame it as a informational interview (helps see what kind of law you may want to pursue, firms you should look at, etc.).

I won't be coy here, as someone who watched my father deal with age discrimination multiple times who is about the same age as you, it will be tricky seeing how a firm would handle hiring someone at 70. As you probably are aware, companies aren't allow to even mention a candidate's age because it is considered age discrimination and they will receive a nice phone call from the EEOC.

This is why I suggested the informational interview. This may provide an opportunity or setting in which an individual may be able to give you a lay of the land and tell you what is reasonable to expect. Law school is a big investment and as you said, you want to be able to use what you have learned. People love to talk about themselves and it is not uncommon to cold email or call an attorney to take them out to coffee or meet with them so you can learn more about what they do and what you can do to get there.

Hope this helps!

• sheilaksfsheilaksf Member
    24 karma

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate your support and suggestions.

• 702 karma

you are NEVER too old to follow your dreams!!! I think the worst thing would be to look back on your life and feel like you were always missing out on something or regretted not taking a chance. I sincerely doubt that your age would be a problem in the future! As long as you work hard, who cares? There was also a 82 year old woman who went to law school.

http://www.accuratewriting.com/follow-your-heart.shtml

Best of luck to you!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Your not to old, but unless you don't value money much at all, I wouldn't pay much for a degree. You should get the best free degree on a merit scholarship that you can and then volunteer for a non profit of some sort. A big firm probably won't hire you to just do pro-bono stuff, but you can definitely find a non-profit which will let you work for them for free.

As far as law schools, If you get a good enough LSAT score, they will let you in and give scholarships just like they would a younger person.

• MsMazamaMsMazama Alum Member
    154 karma

Go for it! You have something special to contribute to society. Your lived experiences will enhance your value. You're never too old to follow your dreams.

• jyarmojyarmo Alum Member
    350 karma

Hey there - I am 51 and sitting for the June LSAT and I would definitely agree with everyone that you're (we're!) not too old! I'm not making loads of applications at this point (just one hail mary app for fall 2018) but the one in-depth conversation I had with a law school admissions person was so encouraging. She said in many ways they love the older students because of the life skills and experiences they can add to the academic community and classroom discussions. So good luck! :)

• EmmetropicEmmetropic Free Trial Member
    164 karma

Regardless of whether or not you go to LS, this was extremely motivational. Thank you very much.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

My dad is 80 and he is going strong. He tried retiring a few years ago and it didn't work. He got bored and went back to work. He is an electrician and has alot of clients so he picks and chooses who he wants to work with - no more big industrial jobs but smaller residential jobs. My mom is 77 and she is bored with retired life. She retook her home health aid exam last year and was a home health aid for several few months and also did some admin work. She has stopped working but just recently she said she is looking for something new do.

So, if you don't need the money and want to do probono work and have the time to learn then I don't see why not. How exciting to have someone like you in class. I would totally gravitate toward you! I would def go into it with eyes wide open, though, as age discrimination is still alive and well (what one law school admin told me as I am older too). However, it seems from what you want to achieve that this path is certainly doable. Best of luck to you :smile:.