Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I graduated High School 10 years ago today...

alyhobbsalyhobbs Alum Member
in General 715 karma

So here I am working on timed LR PSs and fool-proofing LG when an old friend of mine reminded me we graduated high school 10 years ago today! College was 6 years ago. My my my how time has flown. I remember not knowing what the future held but I had so many plans. I never would have thought 10 years later I would studying so hard to go back to school. I sometimes get discouraged thinking I will be 29 when I start law school, 30 if I have to push it back another year. But hey better late than never. Any other 7sagers out there in the same boat as me?

Comments

• KeepCalmKeepCalm Alum Member
    807 karma

Same boat! :smiley:

• alyhobbsalyhobbs Alum Member
    715 karma

Haha yay I'm not alone!

• btate87btate87 Alum Member
    782 karma

I was planning to start when I was 30 before realizing 3 months definitely wasn't enough study time. Luckily it turns out (for me anyway) once you get past 30, the time crunch seems less intense haha.

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

https://media.giphy.com/media/fqk5ZXtHm8BwI/giphy.gif

JK I'm feeling 30. Don't get discouraged! There is a wide range of ages here on 7sage. :)

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

31 here and wont be starting for several years ... don't worry all the young ones wish they could be cool like us (at least thats what I tell myself :-P)

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

If by some chance I do great on June or Sept testing this year, I will graduate law school the year I turn 40. If I delay another cycle to get LSAT scores up, I will spend my 40th birthday in 3L.
    So, yeah. I feel ya.

Sure, you may be a litter older than a "traditional" law student. I don't think it's that big of a setback when you consider how long your career can be.

• annewr253annewr253 Alum Member
    439 karma

Ayyeeee Class of 2008 in the building!!! haha

• edited June 2018 615 karma

It's so weird that I'm studying for a test now. I'll be 30 when I start law school, that is if I get a good score on Nov test... Fingers crossed, because I can kinda feel life sucking out of me.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I feel this lol Graduated in HS 2007 and here I am closing in on 30 and applying to law school

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited June 2018 4850 karma

If all goes according to plan, I will turn 50 around the time I earn my JD.

Vanilla Ice released his seminal album "To The Extreme" the year I graduated high school (1990)

http://f2.thejournal.ie/media/2014/02/ice-ice-baby-air-hump-o.gif

• 702 karma

I'm in the same boat!!! I feel like I should be rushing to start ls before I turn 30 or shortly after, but it is probably not practical for myself. Everyone has a different journey and different circumstances. It's not going to make a difference if you are five years older than the rest of the students in your class you know?? Even in college, I never had anyone ask how old you are except for some other students I became close to. No one will know unless they ask and they probably won't be able to tell if you are a little bit older than the rest of them.

• 200 karma

That's me too, 28 and studying for the LSAT. Still finishing off my BA too, so I totally relate. Honestly, I think going back to school as this age, because you want to after spending time in the workforce (or whatever) means a lot more than just going to school because you feel like that's what you're supposed to be doing. Good luck with your studies!!

715 karma

Ahhh you guys have no idea what this means to me to see that I am not the only one! I am so hard on myself thinking that because I am older I should be doing better. I work full time and have 4 dogs (which I feel are the same as kids because they require a lot of my energy) and I struggle with finding time to study. I get overwhelmed to get this test done now and not to keep pushing it back because I am older and feel like I'm racing against the clock for some reason. But that isn't the case and it's nice to hear so many similar stories!

715 karma

@btate87 said:
    I was planning to start when I was 30 before realizing 3 months definitely wasn't enough study time. Luckily it turns out (for me anyway) once you get past 30, the time crunch seems less intense haha.

Haha yes this was actually me last April! I thought I could be ready by June and then September. Next thing you know a year has passed and I still feel I have so much more I need to do. Lol the time crunch has been there for me but I'm starting to learn that I need to focus on when I am ready for the test and not when I want to go to school. That relieves me of some pressure and hopefully when it comes to it, I am able to know if I'm ready or if I need more time.

715 karma

@tringo335 said:
    31 here and wont be starting for several years ... don't worry all the young ones wish they could be cool like us (at least thats what I tell myself :-P)

Haha right! It makes me feel better too!

715 karma

@AudaciousRed said:
    If by some chance I do great on June or Sept testing this year, I will graduate law school the year I turn 40. If I delay another cycle to get LSAT scores up, I will spend my 40th birthday in 3L.
    So, yeah. I feel ya.

Sure, you may be a litter older than a "traditional" law student. I don't think it's that big of a setback when you consider how long your career can be.

Yea I've actually never thought about it like that. I've always looked at it as I'm starting late but thinking about it from the other side really puts things into perspective. Thanks!

715 karma

@HaloHalo said:
    It's so weird that I'm studying for a test now. I'll be 30 when I start law school, that is if I get a good score on Nov test... Fingers crossed, because I can kinda feel life sucking out of me.

Ugh yes! It can become so overwhelming and make you question so many things but we've got this!

715 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    If all goes according to plan, I will turn 50 around the time I earn my JD.

Vanilla Ice released his seminal album "To The Extreme" the year I graduated high school (1990)

http://f2.thejournal.ie/media/2014/02/ice-ice-baby-air-hump-o.gif

Wow that's awesome! I have a lot of respect for people that are switching careers later in life because that is even harder than starting late. Good for you!!

• jmoreno21jmoreno21 Alum Member
    12 karma

Im on the same boat too! Glad theres people I can relate to out there. I put working on going to law school on hold after I graduated college 7 years ago when my parents got sick but now im back on it and they are doing a lot better thank god. Good luck on your journey!!!

edited June 2018 715 karma

@"LSAT Warrior Princess" said:
    I'm in the same boat!!! I feel like I should be rushing to start ls before I turn 30 or shortly after, but it is probably not practical for myself. Everyone has a different journey and different circumstances. It's not going to make a difference if you are five years older than the rest of the students in your class you know?? Even in college, I never had anyone ask how old you are except for some other students I became close to. No one will know unless they ask and they probably won't be able to tell if you are a little bit older than the rest of them.

Yea same here! When I turned 28 I was freaking out because time is passing soooo fast. But that's actually even more of a reason to this at my own pace because trying to rush won't slow down time. A few years is nothing compared to when we were younger. lol yea that's true they don't ask ages. And given the fact that I still get carded because I look so young I should be good :smiley:

• DawnHenryDawnHenry Alum Member
    298 karma

I graduated high school in 1987, college in 1994, and will be 50 when I start law school :)

• okcomputer619okcomputer619 Alum Member
    68 karma

It's going to be eight years since I graduated high school. I was so hopeful and excited about attending college out of town, especially because it had a notorious reputation for being a party school (Haha). My plan going into college was getting a 4.0 GPA and applying to law school my fourth year of college, becoming an attorney at age 25.
    I am going to be 26 years old in a few days. After I graduated college (with a sub-par gpa), I decided to take a gap year. Then my mom got diagnosed with cancer. Waited another year while she underwent treatments. 2016 was THE year I was going to apply but decided my practice scores weren't as high as I wanted them. I applied in 2017 with a crappy LSAT score, the day before applications are due, and did not receive any acceptances to schools I wanted to attend. So here I am, studying for my third LSAT in September, applying again this fall.

Do I feel like a failure sometimes for waiting so long, for taking the lsat 3 times and applying to law school a second time? Yes. Things do not always go as planned and I wish I could tell my bright eyed 17 year old self that 8 years ago. We just have to go with the flow, trust the process, never give up, and trust the timing of the universe.
    I will be 27 when I start law school and 30 when I pass the bar.

• OneFortyDotSixOneFortyDotSix Alum Member
    634 karma

same same same. Graduated highschool in 2007, just turned 29 about a month ago. Will probably be 30 when I start Law School. Saul Good,man!

• 702 karma

I love this discussion!! Everyone is seriously so nice!!!! I feel so much better reading all of these positive comments. It's nice having a discussion where no one is putting someone else down you know? Good luck on Monday you guys!

• rpadr007rpadr007 Member
    101 karma

Same here.

• cdaddario2cdaddario2 Member
    362 karma

You are certainly not alone. I have a few years on you, as I will be turning 49 next month. Sitting for LSAT in November. I will be 53 when I graduate Law School. My feeling is this, don't think you missed out or made a mistake. Work hard and remember your experiences both personally and professionally are an advantage you will realize as you continue your education.

• Donotdisturb26Donotdisturb26 Alum Member
    161 karma

@alyhobbs I am in the same boat turning 28 end of this year. I was in a rush last year to start this fall, took the exam December 2017 big mistake ever (wasn’t ready) but I am not giving up I am determine to pass and get somewhere between 152-156. You are not alone! :)

• polygonwindowlickerpolygonwindowlicker Alum Member
    99 karma

@alyhobbs same here! i graduated high school june 2008. i also work full-time and have the same problem of time/energy management. i know it can be difficult going against the grain, but don't be so hard on yourself. best of luck!

715 karma

Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply to everyone! This is super motivating and thank you so much everyone for sharing your stories!

• cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma

Exactly the same boat! I'll be 28 in July, but I am applying for next Fall, so 29 by the time I start law school. It used to bother me, but now it honestly doesn't bother me one bit when you look at the bright side.

I've been a Spanish middle school teacher for the past 5 years, I've been able to save some great money and have used our summers off to travel the world.

The best part of being a non traditional student IMO is we'll be going in with a more mature mindset and with plenty of experience over these young bucks... So don't worry, we're all in this together!

Class of '08 representing!

• PhDtoLaWPhDtoLaW Alum Member
    59 karma

Yep, I'm here too. I'll be 30 when I start law school.

I've honestly never felt bad about being older than most prospective law school students. What's the rush? I mean, at a certain age maybe it's no longer worth it just in a purely financial sense, because you won't have time to pay off your law school loans before you retire, but 33 is not even close to that age.

I wouldn't give up any of the experiences that I've had over the last 10 years in order to get here sooner. If I had just gone K-JD, then I wouldn't have anything to write about in my application package!

• consistencyiskeyconsistencyiskey Core Member
    131 karma

I'm turning 33 and will be writing this September! I spent a decade in a job that I hated, but paid enough to get by. Although I'm an older applicant, it's better late than never. If you want something, go for it with all you've got!

• LSATJediLSATJedi Alum Member
    87 karma

@danielandrewfernandes said:
    I'm turning 33 and will be writing this September! I spent a decade in a job that I hated, but paid enough to get by. Although I'm an older applicant, it's better late than never. If you want something, go for it with all you've got!

Also turning 33 this fall and will write when I feel ready (maybe in the winter). Nice to hear about someone in the same boat.

• sheilaksfsheilaksf Member
    24 karma

Well, I have you all beat, at 67. If I am lucky, I will start law school in September '19, and finish in my early 70's. So, it's about where your head is at, not your age.

• MimsquadMimsquad Member
    35 karma

Same boat! Graduated HS in '07. It took me a lot longer to figure out that this was the right move for me than it did for others, but I don't think that's a bad thing! :)

Any of you thought at all about asking for recommendations from old college professors? I haven't really kept in great touch with any in the last 7 (!) years but I know an academic rec will be really important. Any thoughts on how you'll reach out again?

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@Mimsquad said:
    Same boat! Graduated HS in '07. It took me a lot longer to figure out that this was the right move for me than it did for others, but I don't think that's a bad thing! :)

Any of you thought at all about asking for recommendations from old college professors? I haven't really kept in great touch with any in the last 7 (!) years but I know an academic rec will be really important. Any thoughts on how you'll reach out again?

I sent a email to my old professor and told him what I had been doing for the past twenty years - no specifics but general. I told him how much I wanted to go to law school and why and asked him if we could arrange to meet in person. He was wonderful and agreed to meet. We had the best meeting and he went through his twenty year-old files and wrote a great letter. Good luck!

• MimsquadMimsquad Member
    35 karma

@LCMama2017 Ah! Thank you so much for writing back :) After I posted my first comment, I went and drafted an email to the professor I'm thinking about asking and even doing that made it less scary to consider sending it soon. Thanks again!

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

AARP Gang!!!! Graduated in ‘07, too!

• Frank JaegerFrank Jaeger Alum Member
    144 karma

graduated in 06 so don't feel so bad lol

• 101 karma

Word! I'm about to be 28! Got outta high school, did some time the in Marines and just graduated undergrad last year. I think people like us are like the finely aged steaks that site behind glass at the butchers. Sure, you can have the rump cuts on the shelf and yeah they may taste okay, but the real flavor is in the aged, seasoned cut of meat just waiting for the right buyer.

Shout out to all the 7Sage steaks!

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

People with work experience have an advantage over people who just graduated. I'm 21 and my resume is the weakest part of my application. If I want to get into a good school I have to overcome that part of my application. An older applicant, however, is probably going to have a strong resume and will be accustomed to working diligently for more hours a day than someone who has been in school their entire life.