Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Penn now accepts the GRE....and GMAT ?

SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
edited June 2018 in General 11542 karma

https://www.law.upenn.edu/live/news/8117-penn-law-to-accept-gre-and-gmat-tests-for-jd

First school I'm seeing that accepts the GMAT, anyone else know of one?
After all is said and done though, it still seems to me that the LSAT is the better option. Law schools are familiar with it and they know how grueling it is to prepare for.

Comments

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

WAAAAAA???!!! they are really getting desperate out there

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

GMAT is more difficult than lsat imo. GMAT basically has LR and RC + lots of math stuff.

• Makes sense though, STEM majors for undergrad + grad students... this would be the best option. I love how law schools are finally realizing that other tests can tackle the LSAT in hopes to get into law. It's (personally) common sense, there are so many branches of study that most neglect to realize how beneficial it could be for future lawyers. Especially in the STEM fields, hell yeah the GMAT is sufficient to the LSAT! I am celebrating this

• @keets993 said:
    GMAT is more difficult than lsat imo. GMAT basically has LR and RC + lots of math stuff.

True, if anything they are probably much more adapted to the tricky logistics & the stuff (most of us) hate the MOST.... MATH! I mean my god, they surely have the upper hand in the branches of law that require math. I know for a fact that they would have much of the credentials for law school, at least as much as we do.

• @tringo335 said:
    WAAAAAA???!!! they are really getting desperate out there

I am glad that they are desperate, but I think this opens up many doors for others. We (lsat) takers might make up the minority in a few years, with the competitive exams they are now allowing for consideration.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

@keets993 said:

True, if anything they are probably much more adapted to the tricky logistics & the stuff (most of us) hate the MOST.... MATH! I mean my god, they surely have the upper hand in the branches of law that require math. I know for a fact that they would have much of the credentials for law school, at least as much as we do.

It's funny because lots of us refuse to even think of taking the GRE due to it having a (basic) math portion. I really can't see the GMAT leveling up with the LSAT though, at least not now or anytime in the near future. This does however give great incentive for more STEM majors to enter the legal field. I'm interested to see how this all pans out and what LSAC plans to do in the upcoming year(s).

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

In the midst of schools accepting these other testing formats, I also wonder if any of them will pull a GW and reverse their decision last minute. Lol kind of a jerk move if you ask me.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@keets993 said:

Oh don't say that! I've been saying the LSAT is the most difficult test to my family (including the ones who have taken the GMAT) and they still believe it. LOL

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

Oh don't say that! I've been saying the LSAT is the most difficult test to my family (including the ones who have taken the GMAT) and they still believe it. LOL

Hahaha! I'll protect your secret ;)

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Isn't the GMAT mainly for business? I imagine this will mostly be a thing for dual JD MBA students.

I'm not sure why it would be a big deal for STEM majors. I assume they could do fine on it or the GRE. Either way it's basically sort of tough high school math right with the GMAT's being a hair harder? With this kind of test there probably isn't much advantage to having gone through a couple of Calculus classes in college. It's more brushing up on the old stuff and learning to quickly solve the fairly difficult applications of that simple math that the test tends to require.

• youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
    edited June 2018 1755 karma

what's next? are they going to accept MCAT exam (let's try to be more inclusive for JD/MD students!) ?? or maybe the Dental Admission Test (DAT)? how about just allow everyone just to use your SAT score? or the TOEFL? when does it end?

also, how do they distinguish btw an LSAT score, GMAT score, and GRE score? Heck, GRE math scores don't even have 97-99th percentile scores (which covers anything from the LSAT from a 170-180 - huge variance the GRE isn't capturing).

• ATLsat_2019ATLsat_2019 Member
    edited June 2018 455 karma

@Sprinkles said:

It's funny because lots of us refuse to even think of taking the GRE due to it having a (basic) math portion.

Literally wouldn't even consider it :grimace: :sweat_smile: :joy:

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited June 2018 1804 karma

@Sprinkles said:
    It's funny because lots of us refuse to even think of taking the GRE due to it having a (basic) math portion.

I don't know... I'm open to having a basic math section, if that section would (1) contain 23-26 questions and (2) supplant RC. Besides, a problem like this doesn't sound half bad; this is basically what all of us have been working on:

https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam/gmat-exam-format-timing/quantitative/sample-problem-solving-question.aspx

Of course, there is no way RC would be removed from a law school admissions test. Just "vagrant fancies of an undisciplined mind" (PT57, Passage 2)...