Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are Native Hawaiians/other Pacific Islanders URMs??

As I'm figuring out which schools to apply to and checking LSN I figured I should find out if I am considered a URM? If not, it might soften the sting of a HYS rejection :) btw.. I'm Tongan (born in America but spoke the language growing up, involved in the Tongan community in California, visit family in Tonga regularly, etc)

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I don't believe you would be considered URM. Typically, URMs are only black/African American, Native American, Mexican and Puerto Rican. Obviously you would be a minority (and I could see you writing a really interesting personal and/or diversity statement!) but I don't think you would fall in the URM category. It's possibly because Pacific Islander often gets lumped in with Asian, and Asians are generally over-represented (compared to the percentage of the population as a whole).

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited May 2018 4423 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    I don't believe you would be considered URM. Typically, URMs are only black/African American, Native American, Mexican and Puerto Rican. Obviously you would be a minority (and I could see you writing a really interesting personal and/or diversity statement!) but I don't think you would fall in the URM category. It's possibly because Pacific Islander often gets lumped in with Asian, and Asians are generally over-represented (compared to the percentage of the population as a whole).

Asians are not anywhere near as overrepresented in law school as in undergrad though so if they treat you as an Asian you won't be at any disadvantage compared to whites like Asians are in most undergad admissions processes.

This could definitely work for a diversity statement, but for predictions sake I would just assume you are like everyone else and not a URM.

• NerdSquad11NerdSquad11 Alum Member
    30 karma

You only get the special URM treatment if you are AA or Hispanic/Mexican. Write a diversity statement though!

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

This is a pretty long and detailed topic/debate. Kanaka Maoli are indigenous people of the Hawaiian Islands, and therefore Native American. This topic has been debated between Hawaiians and the federal government for years. Since you are Tongan, I do not believe you are provide the same rights granted by the US gov't to Native Hawaiians. Read below, also check out the "Akaka Bill".

This historical and unique legal relationship has been consistently recognized and affirmed by the Congress through the enactment of Federal laws which extend to the Hawaiian people the same rights and privileges accorded to American Indian, Alaska Native, Eskimo, and Aleut communities, including the Native American Programs Act of 1974 [42 U.S.C. 2991 et seq.]; the American Indian Religious Freedom Act [42 U.S.C. 1996, 1996a]; the National Museum of the American Indian Act [20 U.S.C. 80q et seq.]; and the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act [25 U.S.C. 3001 et seq.].

As to why Native Hawaiians is not listed specifically with LSAC next to Native American/Native Alaskan, I'm not sure. For medical school applicants, the three are listed together in the URM section with American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC). An important thing to note is, LSAC and law schools do not lump together Asian and Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander. LSAC stopped doing that in 2010. The data is really interesting on this page: https://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data/ethnicity-sex-admits/archive-1

Personally, I think that some amount of "boost" to your application is likely. I wouldn't necessarily bank on it, but I think it would be worth it to add some reach schools that are favorable towards URM. Also it would be beneficial to check the 'URM' box on LSN to have a better understanding of your possible reach schools once you have a LSAT score. Check out this site when considering where to apply: https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/do-underrepresented-minority-urm-applicants-have-a-law-school-admissions-advantage

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

In regards to consideration for law school apps, no.

• iamcardibriiamcardibri Alum Member
    edited June 2018 314 karma

I think the whole point of URM is to have a law school population be more reflective of the entire US population. Most incoming law classes have less than 1000 people. Thus, being a Pacific Islander (aka ~0.1% of US population) would mean that the law school would have to admit between 0 and 1 Pacific Islander to be reflective of our nation's diversity-- a negligible statistic in the eyes of an admissions committee...

As a Native Hawaiian myself, I know a lot about the historical trauma and generational poverty that is experienced by Native Hawaiians as a result of the overthrow of our sovereign nation by citizens and agents of the United States. This has even been acknowledged by President Clinton in the "Apology Resolution." But still, despite this unique and diverse background, I would not consider myself to be a URM in comparison with African American or Latino groups.

Anyways, I think I remember reading somewhere on the TLS forum that it is up to the law school whether or not they consider you to be a URM... though I may be mistaken. Just be honest with yourself! If you think that being a Pacific Islander allows you to enhance the diversity of the incoming class at a law school, then certainly write a diversity statement and explain why! The admissions officer who reviews your application may read it and decide to view you in a more favorable light :blush: Just make sure you nail it! If you aren't totally confident in your writing abilities, I would avoid it all together, though you can still identify yourself as a Pacific Islander on your LSAC profile for the sake of appearing more diverse.

Best of luck! :smiley:

• If you are an Asian-American, I'd recommend putting in Pacific/ Native Hawaiian...

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

@iamcardibri what you are saying makes sense.

I do understand that Native Hawaiians/Other Pacific Islanders are not specified specifically as a URM according to LSAC. However, I do think that when a law school is trying to fill a diverse class, NH/OPI can be part of that equation. They are listed separately on ABA 509 reports and with the LSAC. Because of this, I think the argument could be made that they are considered a "minority". It is different than a person from Laos or Cambodia who may technically be a minority but is listed as Asian for reporting purposes.

How the school views each student is at their discretion. And I would definitely agree that when writing a diversity statement, you should be confident in your writing ability and make sure your entire application is cohesive.

Look at this PDF, specifically page 7. https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/events/legal_education/2016/16_associate_deans_friday_pm_plenary_lsac_vol_report.authcheckdam.pdf

admitted applicants 2015
    american indian/alaska native: avg gpa - 3.23 avg high lsat - 153
    black/african american: avg gpa - 3.12 avg high lsat - 149
    hispanic/latino applicants: avg gpa - 3.25 avg high lsat - 152
    native hawaiian/opi: avg gpa - 3.22 avg high lsat - 153
    puerto rican: avg gpa - 3.23 avg high lsat - 147

asian: avg gpa - 3.35 avg high lsat - 158
    caucasian/white: avg gpa - 3.38 avg high lsat - 156

ALL Applicants: avg gpa - 3.33 avg high lsat - 155

I don't think this is an exact science or measure. But just looking at these numbers, it seems as though native american, hispanic, and native hawaiian applicants received about the same "boost". African americans and puerto ricans seem to benefit the most (although the puerto rican data may be significantly skewed by the ~200 puerto rican admitted applicants to the University of Puerto Rico with LSAT percentiles at 146/143/136)

The main point I wanted to make to @Tongan_Rambo is that you should definitely apply to some reach schools that favor URMs. Each school determines how they handle minority applicants and a lot of it is an unknown. Often you just hear ignorant comments such as "they must have been a URM if they were accepted with those numbers". Everyones application process is unique, just make sure you have the best application possible. Good luck!