Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it okay to have my sibling go on a law school tour with me?

shannon.gshannon.g Free Trial Member
in Off-topic 32 karma

Hi everyone - I am currently wait-listed at a school out-of-state and am touring the school in two weeks. I am going with my sister for a short vacation and she was going to go with me on the tour. I initially didn't think this was weird, since there won't be any classes and the tour shouldn't last longer than an hour. I know it's not recommended to have your parents go on tours with you - is it weird if my sister comes with me then?

I'm sure she could find something to do for an hour or so, but it's in a city we don't know and I didn't think it was too big of a deal. Should I let the school know ahead of time?

Thanks!

Comments

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    1028 karma

If you're worried about how this comes across, you could just sign her up for a tour as a prospective student (if she isn't obviously too young of course). The law school will never know the difference. I've seen people do this with their SOs or friends on tours. With that said, I don't think anyone would even care if you did just bring her as a family member. I don't think school visits carry much weight in admissions decisions at all. If anything, it can only be a positive factor.

I think the "no parent" stigma comes from people just seeming immature if they still have their parents trailing them wherever they go as a young adult (which is kind of overboard anyway—I see nothing wrong with showing your family the school you are considering, especially if they are helping you fund your education there).

• shannon.gshannon.g Free Trial Member
    32 karma

@LastLSAT said:
    If you're worried about how this comes across, you could just sign her up for a tour as a prospective student (if she isn't obviously too young of course). The law school will never know the difference. I've seen people do this with their SOs or friends on tours. With that said, I don't think anyone would even care if you did just bring her as a family member. I don't think school visits carry much weight in admissions decisions at all. If anything, it can only be a positive factor.

I think the "no parent" stigma comes from people just seeming immature if they still have their parents trailing them wherever they go as a young adult (which is kind of overboard anyway—I see nothing wrong with showing your family the school you are considering, especially if they are helping you fund your education there).

Hi @LastLSAT - yes, I guess I was worried about how it would come across. I was a little concerned that bringing a sibling would look like I am timid/scared to tour on my own - which isn't the case at all. No, my sister isn't too young to be a prospective student (just two years older than me :smile: ), but I'll probably just let them know I'm traveling with my sister and let them know she'll be with me. I just wanted someone else's advice and to double check it didn't come across as strange. I agree with your input about parents coming on tours, by the way, as well. Thanks!