Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retake/Reapply Support Chat

LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
in General 1028 karma

Hi 7Sagers!

I was just wanting to start a retake/reapply thread for those of us who sat out last cycle for whatever reason. I noticed that there are quite a few of us scattered throughout the forums. So if you're in this camp and wanting to talk about the frustrations or benefits of sitting out a cycle, introduce yourself! It will be good to have a place to discuss the unique challenges and questions relevant to us multi-cycle applicants.

It's intimidating to start over from scratch, but remember—only good things will come of our decision to reapply. Each of us will be putting ourselves in a better position to be more satisfied with our options and live up to our long-term aspirations. I've constantly had to remind myself of this after making the decision to back out of some good offers last cycle. Don't lose sight of your ultimate goal, whatever it may be!

Let's discuss any challenges we've been facing and any worries or questions we might have!

Comments

• CRISTINA.PHIPPSCRISTINA.PHIPPS Free Trial Member
    14 karma

I decided to sit out this cycle after being waitlisted by my target school. I’m hoping that if I can raise my lsat score a few points (either this July or September) my re-applying will further display my interest in the school. Also, I’d ideally like to receive some scholarship money. Has anyone else had/been having a similar experience? Any mistakes you think you made in applying?

I believe one of my other major mistakes was applying too late in the cycle (February/March).

• Logic GainzLogic Gainz Alum Member
    700 karma

@CRISTINA.PHIPPS I had a solid offer too, but no scholarship offers. I'm actually still dangling my feet on the fence about going, but as of now, I'm retaking in July and set to reapply this coming cycle.

• 702 karma

I love this discussion! I think the biggest mistake I made last cycle was listening to other people's opinions on what I should do instead of listening to myself. I took the LSAT and did not get the score that I thought I would, which I kind of figured. I did not have a good grasp on the fundamentals and went ahead and took the test, because other people in my life thought that I should have. I was in no way prepared for the test and knew I shouldn't have taken it. When I got my score back I obviously did HORRIBLE! I knew that I did horrible and knew I had no chance on getting in to the school that I wanted to get into. I was pressured to send an application any way. Obviously, I did not get into this school and feel embarrassed about applying.

So, here I am retaking the LSAT after a better grasp on the fundamentals I feel better about taking the test in June. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would wait until I feel comfortable with the test and take it when I felt ready not when I thought I should take it. Another thing that I wish I could have done differently was to just focus on one thing at a time. I was juggling almost a full semester, a job, and other things in my life while trying to study. Because of this, I didn't do that well in my last semester of undergrad, I pissed off my employer by requesting time off to study, and I also did horrible on the LSAT. The only thing that this accomplished was giving myself a nervous breakdown. So my advice to future lsat takers is to listen to yourself and if you feel like you should focus on one thing at a time then do so. No one knows you better than yourself. You know when it is the right time to take the test.

Whew... that felt good getting off my chest.

Good luck you guys!! <3

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    1028 karma

@"CRISTINA.PHIPPS" said:
    I decided to sit out this cycle after being waitlisted by my target school. I’m hoping that if I can raise my lsat score a few points (either this July or September) my re-applying will further display my interest in the school. Also, I’d ideally like to receive some scholarship money. Has anyone else had/been having a similar experience? Any mistakes you think you made in applying?

I believe one of my other major mistakes was applying too late in the cycle (February/March).

I was in a very similar position. At or above all of my target schools' 75ths, but wait-listed at every one of them (probably due to my Feb/March applications). So frustrating. I got huge scholarships to my safety schools, but decided to retake/reapply for a shot at my dream school with a higher likelihood of being able to afford it. I'm currently studying for July or September too!

Applying post-December is probably the biggest mistake we could have made. In retrospect, I'm glad I did it though. This experience has just increased my resolve to do even better on the LSAT and follow my dreams. Also, I think it allows us to take a step back from our application materials and make them even more effective during the upcoming cycle!

I do regret writing too many addenda though. And I'm going to take more chances with my personal statement this time (last one was a little bit bland—the basic "Why Law" type of essay).

What do you all think you'll change up besides an early application and new LSAT?

1028 karma

@"Logic Gainz" said:
    @CRISTINA.PHIPPS I had a solid offer too, but no scholarship offers. I'm actually still dangling my feet on the fence about going, but as of now, I'm retaking in July and set to reapply this coming cycle.

When did you apply @"Logic Gainz" ? I wouldn't get roped into paying sticker unless it's a T6 (or, arguably, just HYS). You can pull some big $$$ with a few more months of study and a better application. Not to mention an extra year of savings to cut down on the COL debt. Retake & reapply FTW!

• okcomputer619okcomputer619 Alum Member
    68 karma

I took the LSAT two times-- June 2017 and Dec 2017 and did not get the score I wanted. It was a terrible score. Applied anyway right before applications were due. I mostly got rejections (that I attribute to my crappy LSAT) and waitlisted at my dream school (a top 10).
    I am hoping to slay the sept 2018 lsat and re-apply earlier this year. It's tough getting back into studying for the lsat a third time but I am determined!

• Logic GainzLogic Gainz Alum Member
    700 karma

@LastLSAT My apps were complete toward the beginning January.

• asr226asr226 Alum Member
    14 karma

It's both comforting and depressing to read so many experiences similar to mine. I'm really sorry for everything you all have gone through, and admire your conviction, and willingness to play along with the admissions game...

When I was applying to undergrad, I had a tutor who could help me out, but for the LSAT and law school applications, I had no such thing. There was no one to tell me "hey, if you can't take the September LSAT, don't bother applying until next year", or "hey, these 'deadlines' don't actually mean you can apply anytime close to them if you want to get in". Seriously: why do schools have such a long admissions period if they intend to fill the bulk of their incoming class spots right away anyway? I understand the concept of "first come, first served", but setting a deadline doesn't mean "first come, first served". Wouldn't it make more sense to give a hard but true deadline, and have a smaller window where applications are accepted and reviewed?

I graduated from Cornell, took over 160 credits to receive Dual Degrees (a BS and a BA), was able to swing studying abroad, minor in Music, and keep a 3.65 GPA by the end of it all. I worked for a large general contractor in DC, managing construction projects for five years, and held leadership positions within the company. When I was applying, I truly thought I had at least a solid application. For top tier schools, I met their deadlines; for my safeties, I got apps in earlier just because their deadlines were later.

My LSAT score was mediocre the first round (December 2017), and when I retook in February 2018, it did go up 5 points, but I still didn't break 160; I guess I get test anxiety, who knew? Anyway, I really thought my GPA, resume, and application would soften my disadvantageous LSAT score, but with that score, I applied all over. Still, I have been shell-shocked with my results:

I was originally waitlisted at 9, have since been accepted to 1 of those previously waitlisted schools (Northeastern), and have been removed from the waitlist/denied at 2 others (ASU and U Washington). I have only been accepted, and offered scholarships, at U Maine and Vermont. Everywhere else was a flat out rejection.

I want to pursue environmental law, but I don't want to be pigeon-holed, and even though I'm 28, I don't want to live in an isolated, small town in southern Vermont just yet in order to go to the school with the best environmental program.

For those who choose to reapply, is anyone concerned that your name and application will be tainted because you were rejected in a previous year? Will schools really see beyond "we already rejected her" and not just say "it had to have been for a real reason, not just timing - RE-REJECTED!" I don't want to rewrite all those essays again... do we all just resubmit our same application and hope better timing in the next cycle plays in your favor? Are there addenda for re-applicants?

I quit my 60-hour a week job to be able to study full time before re-taking the LSAT and to then apply to schools. I only say it wasn't a mistake because I had come to really dislike the job. :smile: If I reapply next cycle, it also means I need to apply to JOBS that would only employ me for a year at the most. I really can't see putting off law school any longer. I imagine those of you just graduating from undergrad must be in a similar boat, having to find jobs for a year. How are you feeling about this unpleasant surprise?

Any advice, comments are appreciated.

1028 karma

@asr226 Congrats on managing to balance so much in undergrad and in your career! That will definitely help you out, but sounds like you're right to step back and focus on the LSAT for a while. Get your score up to your target schools' medians and I'm sure you'll get great offers and be glad you took the time to retake and reapply.

I agree that rolling admissions can be frustrating, but unfortunately it's just part of the game. I think it's best to view our previous cycles as learning experiences. I've had the opportunity to talk with a former T14 AdCom member openly about this issue, and they assured me that a re-application can only be seen as a positive factor, if anything.

DO NOT submit the same materials. What's important is to construct a different application with better essays, hopefully an improved LSAT, etc. It's fine to stick to the same general theme, but make sure that you have significantly updated/put new effort into every single document that you submit. Show the AdComs how you've grown since the previous cycle and show them why they were wrong to reject you last cycle. If you can do that, your commitment to improving yourself/your application can only help your odds.

Don't worry about getting auto-rejected just because you were turned down last year—it's a new cycle and, as far as AdComs are concerned, a new you! Capitalize on the extra time you'll have to prep for that LSAT and create a totally new, more cohesive application. It can only work out in your favor!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited June 2018 2689 karma

@asr226 I'm kind of curious... what GPA did you have while applying?
    NM... I see it. LOL. Been a long day

• neliusgwneliusgw Free Trial Member
    edited June 2018 34 karma

I took the LSAT the first time in Dec 2016 .Unfortunately, I had an accident threedays before the test day. I knew I would not do well but I was afraid of never having the chance to take the test again so I decided not to cancel my score (I’m in Africa and I was not sure of the LSAT schedule)

I decided to retake in September 2017.I was quite comfortable with my preparation this time and I was confident I’d do well. Unfortunately,my dad who was under my care,was hospitalised in August 2017 and I guess I just downplayed that factor. I tried to keep up with the prep and took the test. I did not do well this time either but I raised my score by just one point to 160 though much much lower than my average PTs. I applied to one school(MSU) before deciding I would not go this cycle as my dad was diagnosed with cancer and his health quickly deteriorated. I was admitted into the only school I applied to on a full tuition scholarship but I knew I couldn’t go so I declined the offer. My dad passed on a week later. I have now decided to try taking the test again in September 2018 and maybe I’ll do better and get reapply next cycle.

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    edited June 2018 774 karma

@asr226

I want to pursue environmental law, but I don't want to be pigeon-holed, and even though I'm 28, I don't want to live in an isolated, small town in southern Vermont just yet in order to go to the school with the best environmental program.

Have you considered Colorado for environmental law? You won't be in the middle of nowhere, and it has a pretty good enviro program.

• CRISTINA.PHIPPSCRISTINA.PHIPPS Free Trial Member
    14 karma

@LastLSAT I definitely want to polish my personal/diversity statements a bit, but not sure how much or how I should change them yet. I had a unique upbringing with some hardship, but am trying to make sure I am addressing those hardships without sounding too “whiney.” Ultimately, I’m wanting to put more focus on the strengths that have resulted from those hardships, rather than taking a “help me I’m poor” attitude and just talking about them haha

I felt mine were pretty good the first time around, but am not sure if it’s better to change it up completely since I’m re-applying or not. Do you think they’d look at using essentially the same essays/statement topics as lazy? Besides, of course, addressing the fact that I am reapplying and why.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Strongly advocate for the sentiment about retaking and reapplying. I did three times (and three cycles) and now I am going to HLS! Happy to talk about it more but long story short, it was 100% worth it.