Accommodations - Disability

LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
edited October 2018 in General 500 karma

Does anyone have negative experiences with accommodations? Are there any downsides?

Comments

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    edited June 2018 1184 karma

Hello , I went through the accommodations application process and I was just approved today . I would take a PT with the accommodations you think you need and see if it would be beneficial to you. 7sage has a proctor video for people who have the 50% extra time which you could use here One of my accommodations includes 10 minute breaks between each section. I plan to use the video to stimulate testing conditions, pause the video between each section, use a timer on my phone for the breaks, and restart the video until I am done . Try this and see how you feel. I take my first stimulated PT tomorrow as I am taking the September test and I want to get used to the longer test day. If you plan to request accommodations , I would get my paperwork together ASAP because it takes 14 business days for a response , and you will need some time to appeal if you are rejected . Also the deadline to get paperwork in is in July which is approaching quickly . Please don’t worry about stigma, what you need for your disability is nobody’s business. I hope I was helpful, please feel free to ask anything about the accommodations process :).

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

As noted above, you can simulate the extra time and longer breaks and see if they help.

The one factor I can think of other than having a different proctor would be that you would not be in the room with all the other people. Usually I would think that would be a plus because there would likely be fewer distractions. However, some people find it vexing to sit in a quiet room alone.

It seems to me like extra time would almost always be a big enough good thing to outweigh any downsides like an increased risk of dealing with an annoying proctor since a big struggle for lots of people is finishing the logic games or reading comprehension sections in 35 minutes. So if you think your disability justifies it I think you should probably ask for it if the goal is to maximize your score.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@LivingThatLSATdream what exactly do you mean by downsides? No one will know you are testing with accommodations unless you tell them, including the schools, if that's what you mean.

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    edited October 2018 500 karma

I meant downsides as in having a longer testing day, different scheduled start time, bad proctor. I was just curious if anyone had experience with this. Some disabilities can cause challenges, for sitting/standing for a extended period. Break accommodations leave more opportunity for time errors. Plus taking a break between sections is not always good for your brain even though your body might need it.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@LivingThatLSATdream gotcha! I didn't have any issues with that. Just do your PT with the extended time so that you're comfortable with it. I think adrenaline made all that go out the window for me. I was only focused on finishing each section. The only time sitting was an issue was during the essay portion because I flew through it and had what felt like forever to sit there and wait for the timer to go off.