Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dropped from a 173 to 165, why?

jessicalaurynjessicalauryn Alum Member
in General 37 karma

Hi guys,

I’m based in London so my international test date is June 23rd. I have been studying for about a year and was in the 170-175 range over the past five tests averaging at 173.

In my desire to solidy that in case I have a bad day on test day I’ve been taking an LSAT every day for the past week. Well yesterday and today I scored at a 165 and I’m really freaking out.

Is testing every day counterproductive? Is it because yesterday I took test 56 and 54, when I’ve been recently in the 40s? Did the jump in test numbers do it?

I’d love any thoughts you have.

Thanks,
Jessica

Comments

• PoocharelliPoocharelli Alum Member
    9 karma

I just posted about having a similar issue. I was testing every other day, and my scores would bounce from as high as a 175 to as low as a 163. It's extremely tempting to test as often as possible because you want to solidify your consistency. But recently, I have begun taking tests further apart (at least two days), and I have experienced much better, consistent results. Your brain needs a rest, and you don't want to burn out with your test date so close. I have been really slowing down on my off days and absorbing the material and breaking down my mistakes. I keep myself refreshed and don't go too hard.

There are people that I have seen who can consistently test everyday and get the same high score. They even recommend doing it. But clearly this isn't something for everybody.

I would also recommend tackling some of the more modern tests within the next couple of weeks (PTs 70-83). They're all similar, but it might be good to familiarize yourself with the most recent tests.

But congrats on your scores! You clearly have an extraordinary understanding for the test. I hope we can both stay relaxed and find some consistency in our testing. Good luck!

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    774 karma

I want to second what Poocherelli said. Space out your PTs. I would even say to do one or two tests a week. How do you have time to thoroughly BR if you are testing every day or even every other day? I also suggest doing more recent tests to get a sense of some slight differences.

Sounds like you have a thorough understanding of the exam! Time to pinpoint weaknesses, drill those weaknesses into oblivion and solidify your test taking strategies. Best of luck!

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited June 2018 1028 karma

Taking 1 PT a day is definitely counterproductive. I did that for months before my 1st attempt, averaging ~174, and got mid-160s on test day. Why? Burn-out, plain and simple.

I only took 1 more PT total between my 1st and 2nd attempt, but ended up much closer to my PT average on test day that time.

Your drop in score doesn't indicate a drop in your ability or an increase in test difficulty—it is simply a sign that you need to lay off the PTs and take a break from studying. If you're scoring 170-175 on PTs, you're ready for the real thing. Maybe plan to do 1 or 2 more PTs total before your June attempt and just do light drills to solidify your skills and strategy in between.

Good luck! Take it easy and you'll live up to your expectations. You've got this!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

It could be chance or it could be burn out. Either way your not learning as much from each test as you can by taking them so frequently.

• jessicalaurynjessicalauryn Alum Member
    37 karma

Thanks guys so much for your thoughts and insights! I really appreciate it!