Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do they check your pockets for prohibited items?

Do they check your pockets for things not on the list of allowed items before entering the test center? I don't plan on accessing anything, I just need them with me. There are a lot of things that aren't on the allowed list.

Comments

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

Nobody ever checked my pockets. They only checked my bag but you never know.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@joseph23 said:
    Do they check your pockets for things not on the list of allowed items before entering the test center? I don't plan on accessing anything, I just need them with me. There are a lot of things that aren't on the allowed list.

They don't normally and didn't for either of my tests. Then again I wasn't carrying anything in my pockets.

It seems to me that what ever it is
    a) not worth the small risk of being found out and
    b) likely to cause you more stress from the fear of being found out than whatever stress you would experience if you just didn't have it.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

At my center they did ask each person if they had anything in their pockets, although we weren't patted down or anything

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I'm going to second what @"Seeking Perfection" said. It's just not worth it to risk it. Anything that you are not allowed to have should stay outside, if not for the risk, just for your mental health during the test.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Yikes - why would you risk it? How important can these things be?

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

They probably won't check your pockets but it's still not worth the risk. If you were ever found with prohibited items you'll get reported to LSAC and schools will find out which really doesn't look good.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

As far as my LSAT experience is concerned, they don't check pockets.

• 702 karma

@joseph23 said:

What is it that you need? A cellphone? I'm very curious on what you might think you need. In my experience, they only checked my plastic bag. They definitely did not check my pockets or anything. Well, I was wearing yoga pants so I didn't have any pockets haha. Definitely do not risk it!!! While I was taking the test, someone's watch went off and that person should have been dismissed but they told him that they have to take his watch and they made everyone stop the test and wait until the watch was taken by security. So needless to say everyone in that room despised that guy that made everyone wait. Also, there were a couple of girls who brought their purses and backpacks with them- I think there was a language barrier and they didn't know that they couldn't bring purses or backpacks with them. The proctors were really nice and left their purses and backpacks with the school's security. So maybe you could do something like that? Just so you know that item is close to you without breaking any kind of rule and jeopardizing your future and file.

• jhbm_nycjhbm_nyc Alum Member
    568 karma

My test center was pretty strict and they did check our pockets one by one. A staff member at the door lightly tapped my pockets while I raised my arms. I didn't have anything, but I can imagine them asking you to turn out your pockets if they think there's something there. Agreed with folks above that it's not worth the risk or stress.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

You shouldn't bring any prohobited items. If you think you need your phone to get a Uber/Lyft, you should think of other methods of transportation.

• Hamaseh_SHamaseh_S Alum Member
    436 karma

Has anyone taken essential oils, crystals, etc into the test center? It's not prohibited but I feel like the list I'm looking at is pretty short...

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    1028 karma

@Hamaseh_S said:
    Has anyone taken essential oils, crystals, etc into the test center? It's not prohibited but I feel like the list I'm looking at is pretty short...

Please don't take highly scented items (does this apply to essential oils?) into the test center, just out of consideration for other testers. I had to sit behind someone with some heavy cologne/perfume on during one of my attempts. It can be a huge (and suffocating) distraction.

• Hamaseh_SHamaseh_S Alum Member
    436 karma

@LastLSAT said:

@Hamaseh_S said:

Please don't take highly scented items (does this apply to essential oils?) into the test center, just out of consideration for other testers. I had to sit behind someone with some heavy cologne/perfume on during one of my attempts. It can be a huge (and suffocating) distraction.

Nah the stuff I have I can barely even smell on myself... it's just good to rub it on my wrists and hold it up to my nose to relax. No worries my fellow test takers are safe loool