Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Point at Issue Q's

amicuslsatamicuslsat Alum Member

Is it any faster/slower to approach Point at Issue Q's with JY's approach (reading first person's POV and scanning the answer choices to determine whether they agree or disagree, then doing the same for the second person's) than the usual LR one (reading both POV's and attacking the answer choices)?

Point at Issue Q's
  1. Which one do you prefer, JY's approach or the Regular LR approach?7 votes
    1. JY fosho
      42.86%
    2. Regular all the wayy
      57.14%

Comments

• btate87btate87 Alum Member
    782 karma

I really like the JY approach for studying them - it helps you practice verifying against each side. Once I got the hang of them, though, I much preferred to read the entire stimulus and anticipate before looking at the choices.

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

Of all the methods that J.Y. has provided in the curriculum, his approach to point at issue questions is probably one of the few that I've never been able to utilize. That being said, I haven't tried very hard, so for some it might be worth it to invest the time.

Typically, my best strategy is to focus on the specific postulations made by each speaker and, then, anticipate the conflict. If I can't seem to figure out the conflict fairly soon after reading both components of the stimulus, I take my best guess after POE, returning back with J.Y.'s method once I've finished the rest of the section.

I suppose it would be fair to say that I implicitly use some of the fundamental reasoning of J.Y.'s approach when eliminating answer choices (i.e. "Speaker X doesn't even mention that!"). But, I don't use the formal breakdown that J.Y. shows, unless I'm returning with a fair bit of uncertainty.