Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defer a full scholarship for a year

Darrin.lovard.allenDarrin.lovard.allen Core Member
in General 118 karma

I received a full scholarship to start fall 2018. How do i ask the school to let me start fall 2019?

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

you wont get the same scholarship. although you would obviously still be guaranteed admission, they will reconsider your application and recalculate a scholarship. might be the same, might be lower. no guarantees there. and you ask by giving them a call and asking what the process is to defer and if there is a form to fill out or if you should just email admissions or just speak to a specific person on the phone.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@"surfy surf" said:
    you wont get the same scholarship. although you would obviously still be guaranteed admission, they will reconsider your application and recalculate a scholarship. might be the same, might be lower. no guarantees there. and you ask by giving them a call and asking what the process is to defer and if there is a form to fill out or if you should just email admissions or just speak to a specific person on the phone.

This is most likely correct. You can check for the handbook for the school. The one I'm attending outlines the deferral procedures.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Some schools will only allow for a deferral with extenuating circumstances. It varies by school according to their policies. You should call admissions and ask them about a deferral.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

If you get them to defer the full scholarship, they probably won't let you apply to other schools.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    If you get them to defer the full scholarship, they probably won't let you apply to other schools.

You can’t apply to other schools regardless. As far as I know a deferment is a binding contractual agreement to go to the school in a year.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@"surfy surf" said:

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

You can’t apply to other schools regardless. As far as I know a deferment is a binding contractual agreement to go to the school in a year.

I think I've heard of non-binding deferrals before, but they definitely are not common.

It is definitely always binding if they are giving a full scholarship.

• Darrin.lovard.allenDarrin.lovard.allen Core Member
    edited June 2018 118 karma

Thanks guys. I think i will call admissions, rather than an inpersonal email