Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cancel or not? Advice please

jeeyoon.privatejeeyoon.private Alum Member
in General 10 karma

Hi everyone from 7sage.
I plan to apply next year, not this one, to law schools.
I started studying for the LSATs in late January with diagnostics of 152.
Now it's been roughly 5 months studying almost everyday.
Since I'm taking the exam outside the US, it is this week sunday, 24 June.

But I am wondering if I should take this upcoming exam.
I am averaging 163 in my recent 3-4 preptests. My initial goal and it is still a 170+ score.
I know it is very unlikely for me to get a 170 this time as it is way higher than my preptest.
And I plan to only give it another shot in October. So I thought it would be better to experience the real exam this time round, at least and see how I do in a real exam. But I have read so many blogs and whatnot saying it is strategic to cancel the exam if I am not ready for the score I want.

So please, any advice on this is appreciated. Should I not take this upcoming exam?

Thanks!

Comments

• btate87btate87 Alum Member
    782 karma

Personally I would cancel. Taking it when you haven't consistently reached your goal is likely to make you more nervous on this take which could conceivably make you associate the entire testing process with that heightened sense of anxiety and carry over to the next one. I postponed multiple times from when I initially planned on taking, and it's so much better approaching test day knowing all you have to do is something you've done multiple times than wanting to over perform your top score.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

If you do take it, you get a little experience and the small chance of a lucky high score. The cost is that you have a lower score on your record which can't help, but won't hurt much since schools focus on the highest score and might lower your confidence for the next test.

Either way, it's a pretty low stakes decision. There isn't much potential to gain or lose big. So don't stress too much about it whatever you choose to do.

• jeeyoon.privatejeeyoon.private Alum Member
    10 karma

Thank you so much for the comments above. I just feel rather anxious, for many reasons but mostly because I’m stuying alone and abroad. So here isn’t all that much of information/resources for the lsats. I honestly thought I’d be able to get to 170 within 5 months of prep.. those people i know have done so. And i feel lsats maybe isnt the kind of exam where the amount of preparation leads directly to increase in score. How long do people usually take to get to 170? That start from 152 like myself?

• btate87btate87 Alum Member
    782 karma

It's a very learnable test. If you're aiming for a 170+ it's not unusual to spend a year or more.