New tutor ? or over reacting - July lsat

ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
in General 905 karma

Hey- so I just had a session with a tutor, 120 - only books it out in 2 hours ( cad) not usd.

Gave me prepwork a few days before our session in those days I got sick, but still did what he asked for me to do - upon telling him I did 6 games he told me i SAID DO AT LEAST - after I brought his email up during our session. After we finished he said do at least 1 PT leading up to the exam I said ok so you were saying 1 and then I was going to finish my statement to discuss HOW many I would actually be doing he said I said at least 1 man you really need me to write least in 72 size font.

During the session he kept pausing for long bits even though I clearly explained I didn't know what the answer was.

Another thing - when we booked the session I said can we do it later I'm used to a later schedule ( due to some things ) then when he wanted me to book at 9am next week I said that's too early for me personally- hes like I'm not asking you to wake up at 5 am you really need to adjust your sleep ... told him I'm working on getting up earlier - keep in mind this lsat takes place at a later time.

Switch tutors ( give recommendations below) or am I over reacting , ( tbh the whole back handed comments are unprofesh to someone you are paying to teach you/gave me really uneasy feelings-not about the test about himself)

Comments

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

just to add- he stated many times I was doing the bare minimum ( even though he has no idea how many hours I'm putting in ect ) just generalising

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

He sounds like a jerk to me. A tutor needs to be able to work with you and your times and whatever limitations you may or may not have. You need to feel comfortable in telling him/her how much time your are putting in and discussing plans and homework. Just from what you have written he sounds very judgemental. I couldn't work with someone like that. To give you my situation, when I was working with my tutor, she and I talked about the best time for both of us to meet and was understanding when I would have to cancel or need to change the time. Also, even though I'm a slow learner she never made me feel like I was slow or stupid. I very much appreciated her patience because I'm already feeling like an idiot with this test - I don't need backhanded comments. It doesn't sound like you and your tutor are compatible and at near US$100 an hour - shit, I would rather be on my own than pay someone so much to say all those things to me.

905 karma

THANK YOU for validating me ... Lol no kidding eh. I just shopped for some new ones right now and saw his ad come up maybe because he got a 179 he assumes that anyone below that is inferior, regardless the comments are unacceptable. It's definitely a superiority thing he assumed initially I was at a higher level and we clicked while we were chatting.

When he realised I was really weak in games- it really changed his personality towards me.

And the whole booking a week before/ paying a week before didn't sit with me.

Thanks for the feedback

2134 karma

@ebalde1234 said:
    THANK YOU for validating me ... Lol no kidding eh. I just shopped for some new ones right now and saw his ad come up maybe because he got a 179 he assumes that anyone below that is inferior, regardless the comments are unacceptable. It's definitely a superiority thing he assumed initially I was at a higher level and we clicked while we were chatting.

When he realised I was really weak in games- it really changed his personality towards me.

And the whole booking a week before/ paying a week before didn't sit with me.

Thanks for the feedback

Oh gosh - not everyone is cut out to be a tutor.

Here is a list of 7Sage tutors. The first page gives all their bios. Sami was my tutor - love her so much. She is awesome at LG and just so fun to study with.

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/4760/7sages-approved-tutors/p1

• Return On InferenceReturn On Inference Alum Member
    503 karma

Definitely switch tutors. There's a huge amount of absolutely amazing tutors out there (many on this very forum!) so you shouldn't settle for anything less than the best IMO.

905 karma

Thanks for the feedback everyone, love this community

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Switch tutors and use the people on the forums. Get social! You'll be surprised how much help the community here can provide.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Switch tutors. He sounds mean and unhelpful.

But definitely take way more than one practice exam.

Additionally, if you are struggling with games, you need to start foolproofing as many of them as you can. Most people foolproof the logic games from tests 1-35, but you might not have time to get through all of them by July.

https://7sage.com/how-to-get-a-perfect-score-on-the-logic-games/
    https://7sage.com/logic-game-explanations/

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Yep switch. Some students need tough love and some need constant encouragement but you have to be able to communicate openly. I'm sometimes tough on the folks I tutor, but only after I've confirmed they want/need that extra push.
    Meet with people and find a good fit. Most people offer free time for that type of meeting.

905 karma

Yeah I figured he had a tough love approach - nothing against it. But as you said it varies for each student. thank you

• iamcardibriiamcardibri Alum Member
    edited June 2018 314 karma

FIRE HIS ASS!! I didn’t even read the whole thing and I’m done with him lol

• iamcardibriiamcardibri Alum Member
    edited June 2018 314 karma

Jokes aside, he sounds like a smart dude and I’m sure he has some valuable insight.. but like everyone else has said up above, you want some who motivates you and helps you achieve your goal... Not someone who distracts you from your goal with behavior that makes you feel uneasy! Also, you’re such a good sport for trying to make it work despite all the things you didn’t like about his teaching style. I pray for that kind of patience in my life!

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

I think what's important is that you are feeling uneasy about having him as a tutor. Studying for the LSAT is difficult enough without having an additional layer of social anxiety playing into the mix. Moreover, there are too many fantastic tutors out there to hold onto one that falls short.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Just chiming in--if you're not comfortable, then go with someone else. Kind of like dating. Here's hoping you find a good match soon. :)

905 karma

Yeah I figured he had a tough love approach - nothing against it. But as you said it varies for each student. LOL at the dating comment .. who knew lsat tutors were like potential matches.

Paul I agree, I said the same thing to my friend some of us already get anxious from the LG section we don't need someone to make that worse.

I tried to be as diplomatic as possible about it -Thanks for the kind words and the feedback everyone.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

Yeah, to echo what everyone else said get out of there. It's not a good match. Also, just because some is smart or scored well doesn't mean that they're a good teacher. I can think of a couple profs or TA's who were at the top of their game intellectually but not good at teaching.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

Sounds like a frustrating situation for both parties.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

@keets993 said:
    Also, just because some is smart or scored well doesn't mean that they're a good teacher. I can think of a couple profs or TA's who were at the top of their game intellectually but not good at teaching.

Amen to that!!

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

I know I am a little late to the party but I agree with a lot of advice here. It doesn't matter who is right, you guys are just not the right fit for each other.

I think tutoring is only successful when both parties have a synergy and dynamic that works. You really do want to be able to talk to your tutor about your successes as well as shortcomings and that includes working to build a schedule that works for you or one that helps you get back in shape mentally. Emotions play a huge role in success, especially on LSAT. So its actually very important for the student to really be comfortable to talk about personal issues as well. A lot of our blocks in LSAT can be emotional. The fact that you feel like he doesn't respect you and puts you down means that you won't be able to talk about a big aspect of your life that plays a huge role in LSAT. So find a tutor that you know you feel comfortable telling them about your failures but you also know would hold you accountable at the same time. It's hard thing to balance.

I don't try to judge other tutors because what works for me and how I do things may not be how other tutors do things. Also, what may be deal breakers for me may be just fine with other tutors. I see consultation as a way to figure out if two people are right for each other. That's why I make sure to lay down my expectations and how I schedule things during the consult and I do hold my students accountable to those things.

So its okay it didn't work out. I think that's part of life. :) I hope you do find another tutor that works with you. Feel free to skip around till you do find one and then do stick to that one till you have reached a plateau. By knowing other tutors I have realized we all do things very differently and those differences in approach can spell disaster if you skip around too much.

2134 karma

@Sami said:
    I know I am a little late to the party but I agree with a lot of advice here. It doesn't matter who is right, you guys are just not the right fit for each other.

I think tutoring is only successful when both parties have a synergy and dynamic that works. You really do want to be able to talk to your tutor about your successes as well as shortcomings and that includes working to build a schedule that works for you or one that helps you get back in shape mentally. Emotions play a huge role in success, especially on LSAT. So its actually very important for the student to really be comfortable to talk about personal issues as well. A lot of our blocks in LSAT can be emotional. The fact that you feel like he doesn't respect you and puts you down means that you won't be able to talk about a big aspect of your life that plays a huge role in LSAT. So find a tutor that you know you feel comfortable telling them about your failures but you also know would hold you accountable at the same time. It's hard thing to balance.

I don't try to judge other tutors because what works for me and how I do things may not be how other tutors do things. Also, what may be deal breakers for me may be just fine with other tutors. I see consultation as a way to figure out if two people are right for each other. That's why I make sure to lay down my expectations and how I schedule things during the consult and I do hold my students accountable to those things.

So its okay it didn't work out. I think that's part of life. :) I hope you do find another tutor that works with you. Feel free to skip around till you do find one and then do stick to that one till you have reached a plateau. By knowing other tutors I have realized we all do things very differently and those differences in approach can spell disaster if you skip around too much.

@Sami I miss you!! Great advice :smile:

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@LCMama2017 I miss you too <3.

905 karma

Thanks for the advice Sami, much appreciated