Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

premises

JusticeLawJusticeLaw Member

The prep books basically say to identify the premise and move on. However, in my research, I have found different types of premises; suspended premises, explicit and implicit premises, dependent and independent premises and so forth. I'm getting confused and frustrated with the terminology in the different types of claims, statements, propositions, premises. Any words of encouragement? Please help...!!!

Comments

• Trust the ProcessTrust the Process Alum Member
    304 karma

All you need to know are context, premise, conclusion, and any assumptions made (there will be at least one). I think you are overthinking this to be honest.

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

Don’t worry about trying to memorize all of that. It will just give you a headache and you won’t focus on what’s important. You need to be able to recognize the premises and the conclusion of an argument. For more complicated arguments there will often be a major premise/sub conclusion, which is a statement that both recieves and gives support. 7Sage’s approach is very simple and easy to understand when it comes to this. I started out not understanding argument structure but now I understand it so well. I highly recommend you try 7Sage if you haven’t already. Let me know if you have any questions.

• JusticeLawJusticeLaw Member
    194 karma

Thank you very much.