Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is being in a T-14 really a big deal?

edited June 2018 in Law School Admissions 362 karma

Is being in a T-14 really a big deal? I’m looking into the university of Miami law, but I’m nervous about if this would hinder me in finding a job. It seems as though they have a good program dealing with international law & sports and entertainment law.

Admin note: edited title for clarity

Comments

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited October 2018 1028 karma

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Mobility, increased access to competitive jobs and solid alumni network. A T14 degree is neither sufficient nor necessary for a rewarding legal career but it is very useful.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

The University of Miami employment outcomes are not horrible, not great either. About 75% of graduates get jobs as lawyers after graduation. Among those, 76% stay in Florida. If you want to practice law in a small-mid sized firm in Florida, there's a good chance you'd able to accomplish that by attending the University of Miami. If you want a high paying job at a big firm with regional flexibility, then yeah T14 is really the only thing that offers that.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Yeah, it is that big of a deal.

The main reason is because the cost of law school is close to the same across the board. If you are going $150,000 to $300,000 in debt you are either going to need a high salary or a phenomenal LRAP which you will likely qualify for to justify it.

At the Top 14 you have a very solid chance at a Big Law job where many jobs are now starting at $190,000 in New York. That makes the debt manageable although you better pay it back as fast as you can because you never know how long you will hang onto the high paying job. If you choose not to aim for Big Law most Top 14 law schools will also have an excellent LRAP (Loan Repayment Assistance Program) which will enable you to pay back your debt with a more earthly salary. They can afford this because many of their students are doing Big Law and therefore don't drain the LRAP funds and can also chip into their huge endowments in the future.

So basically debt is the reason why it is important to attend a Top 14. If you don't want a Big Law position and don't need the financial opportunities provided by the Top 14 you can go to a less loftilly ranked school and probably land a job as a lawyer. Of course the way to avoid the debt is usually to get a big scholarship. And you usually get that by turning down an offer to attend a higher ranked school.

• lawschool33lawschool33 Member
    100 karma

I agree with what the others said, but if you dream of being a SCOTUS clerk or something, it’s not impossible to get that chance even if you go to a lesser school. Clarence Thomas visits the University of Georgia all the time, and there have been several students who have gotten big internships there.