Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Michigan Law Class Bigger Than Expected

Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
edited June 2018 in Law School Admissions 4423 karma

Michigan Law emailed us to say they had a higher than typical yield on their admission offers and are offering students the chance to automatically defer any scholarships for a year rather than reviewing decisions on a case by case basis.

If anyone is still riding the Michigan waitlist, this is probably bad news. If they are trying to get accepted students to defer, they probably won't be accepting many more people if any off the waitlist.

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited June 2018 1804 karma

Plot twist: Accepted students defy Michigan's expectation yet again; far too many students choose to defer. This forces the school to accept more waitlisted students than usual.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited June 2018 1804 karma

This might be a bad news for those planning to apply to Michigan Law during the upcoming cycle as well. If accepted students choose to comply with the school's request, they have less available seats; otherwise, the institution may be more careful in handing out acceptances.

• MGuFutureJDMGuFutureJD Member
    24 karma

Is this Michigan State or U of M?

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

@MGuFutureJD said:
    Is this Michigan State or U of M?

U of M.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I'm curious how many people would actually take up that offer to defer

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

@"surfy surf" said:
    I'm curious how many people would actually take up that offer to defer

I'm also curious about how much the scholarship is.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Just wanted to say thanks for letting us know about this and please keep us posted.

24 karma

Good to know. This is my dream school! I appreciate the insight.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@FixedDice Those same two thought ran through my mind.

@MGuFutureJD
    University of Michigan

@"surfy surf"
    If you have a scholarship that is a fixed value you lose money since tuition will go up and your scholarship won't. But maybe they would be willing to negotiate. I don't have any obvious other opportunities so I'm not.

@JustDoIt
    There is no separate scholarship for deferring. You just keep what you have.

@LSAT Playlist
    I'll tell you if they email us any follow up info on how many people take the offer.

@MGuFutureJD
    I didn't really have a dream school, but between the Reading room, the library, and the style of the law school and the Lawyers Club I can see how it could be the stuff of dreams. Have you visited?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yeah I was cut from the wait list on the 15th, hah. I don’t know if anyone got in off WL this year... pretty rough.

edited June 2018 24 karma

@ Seeking Perfection. Yes, I've visited a couple times now. It seems like a unique law school culture.

edited June 2018 4423 karma

@MGuFutureJD said:
    @ Seeking Perfection. Yes, I've visited a couple times now. It seems like a unique law school culture.

Well if you message me a few months into the year after I have got to know it a little, I'll be happy to tell you whether I like it or not.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I’m curious what this will mean for this class. With potentially 16% more 1Ls will it be harder to enroll in specific classes down the road? Seems like journals and positions might be more competitive as well.

4423 karma

@tylerdschreur10 said:
    I’m curious what this will mean for this class. With potentially 16% more 1Ls will it be harder to enroll in specific classes down the road? Seems like journals and positions might be more competitive as well.

The not very well kept secret of law school is that for getting most jobs it's not any elective classes or even clinics that matter. It is your grades in the first year doctrinal classes which you take no matter what. I think Hiring for 1L and 2L summer jobs which often lead to real jobs is based heavilly on those first year classes.

I'm not really that worried about registering in specific classes down the road or journals. My main concern is that OCI will be slightly less effective with a bigger class size. They shrunk the class before to get better OCI results. If a firm comes to Michigan hoping to interview ten(or any other fixed number of) people, I would rather have fewer people competing for the interview slots.

Of course, one can assume they will be better at managing their class size in the future so it is probably a one year concern.