Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are LR sections in PT 1-16 easier?

GrumpySnailGrumpySnail Alum Member
edited June 2018 in Logical Reasoning 100 karma

I have been drilling LR sections for a while, and I used to have a -4/-6 for LR sections in PT 18-35.
However, I began doing PT 1-16 four days ago, and I found that I now have a -1/-3 for these older PTs (I have done 6 of them so far).
Does that mean I made some improvements or are those older LR sections just easier in nature?
I haven't got to PT 36-83 yet. Could anyone please also tell me the estimated difficulties of the LR sections in those PTs (as compared to PT 1-35)?
Thanks!

Comments

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

I find older pts easier for lr , harder for games , easier for rc .. I’ve also seen a lot of people saying this on the forum. I wouldn’t say it’s substantial but to me personally I do feel there is a difference (as for exactly how much between those sets I can’t comment on that) try a newer pt and see how you score .

• GrumpySnailGrumpySnail Alum Member
    100 karma

@ebalde1234 said:
    I find older pts easier for lr , harder for games , easier for rc .. I’ve also seen a lot of people saying this on the forum. I wouldn’t say it’s substantial but to me personally I do feel there is a difference (as for exactly how much between those sets I can’t comment on that) try a newer pt and see how you score .

Thanks! I guess I will try pt 70s tomorrow to see how I do.

905 karma

@GrumpySnail said:

@ebalde1234 said:

Thanks! I guess I will try pt 70s tomorrow to see how I do.

Good luck , try to get a balance of new and old pts but keep track of which ones you want to use / save for a later date if you need to rewrite , sending good vibes

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

I disagree. I think late 20s all the way to the late 30s have the easiest LRs. 1 to the teen PTs have harder LR sections for me. And 1-10 PTs have some of the WEIRDEST question stems and stimuli. hate 'em.

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

This, actually, is a tricky question to answer because whether you find the later PTs to have more difficult LR sections is dependent on what aspects of LR you find challenging. Yes, the question stems in later tests do appear to be more straightforward, making it less likely to get tripped up on what’s being asked. At the same time, though, when talking with others, it often comes up that the LR questions in the more modern PTs employ more complex conditional logic, and thus it can be more difficult For one struggling in this area.

Hope that helps a bit!

• PositivePositive Alum Member
    426 karma

I think PT 1 to 16 or so have more weird types of flaws and stimulus.
    As paulmv.benthem said, the later PTs are more straightforward.

Early PTs not necessarily harder, but just different styles than the modern ones.

905 karma

@"paulmv.benthem" said:
    This, actually, is a tricky question to answer because whether you find the later PTs to have more difficult LR sections is dependent on what aspects of LR you find challenging. Yes, the question stems in later tests do appear to be more straightforward, making it less likely to get tripped up on what’s being asked. At the same time, though, when talking with others, it often comes up that the LR questions in the more modern PTs employ more complex conditional logic, and thus it can be more difficult For one struggling in this area.

Hope that helps a bit!

Agree it really is relative to the individuals strengths and weaknesses.

• GrumpySnailGrumpySnail Alum Member
    edited June 2018 100 karma

@ebalde1234 @Positive @"paulmv.benthem" @dkny2013
    Thanks guys! What you said was actually what I supposed. I found later test harder probably because I am struggling with conditional logic and the valid and invalid argument forms involving "some". I am actually really good at (verbal) conditional logic when I am not required to use lawgic, but if I had to draw a diagram I often confuse myself and take a very long time to figure out what is going on.
    I just did PT5 today and I found it to be the hardest LR sections that I have ever done. I missed a total of 9 LR questions (and I only missed 1 in PT4 and 2 in PT6), so I think I should really reestimate the difficulty of earlier LRs haha

905 karma

go to the cc and review those sections that talk about those topics that’s what I’m doing rn I’m in the same boat as you in terms of weaknesses

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

I think Powerscore team did an analysis on the LR question types over the years and found that modern LSATs have significantly less "Must Be True" questions and a lot more "Most Strongly Supported" leading to an increased difficulty. Personally found the Strengthen/Weaken questions to be the toughest in the new tests.