Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal statements: tie into law?

AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member

Hi guys!
I've been working on my PS, and I keep wondering if I should somehow tie it into my interests in law, or just leave it be. It's so far about overcoming generational expectations on women (or lack thereof) and becoming a first generation college student/ degree holder. I kind of feel like it sets up an obvious path to higher learning and my desire for it, but doesn't quite tie into law exactly. Does it really need to? Can it just stand alone as a story about realizing obstacles and overcoming them in my pursuit of education and a better life?

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Your PS doesn't have to tie into your interest in law. I'd say it's better to omit that than have it awkwardly crammed into your PS.

I was able to incorporate a why law in a few sentences.

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7262 karma

Hi there! We actually have a free lesson called “Do I Have to Explain Why I Want to be a Lawyer?” And Other Questions. Check it out: https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/four-big-questions/

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Thank you @"David.Busis" !

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Part of the goal of a personal statement is to elucidate the rest of your application. If nowhere else does it indicate an interest in law, omitting such an interest from your personal statement might be a mistake.

More importantly, try to ensure that your personal statement is an engaging and interesting story. If your story does not include law, then find room elsewhere in your application to explain your interest in pursuing a legal education.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

There were some schools that I applied to which did not require a "why law" component. But my coworker joked that upon reading my PS one would wonder why I dont just surf professionally instead of going to law school. Not really the question I want commissions to be asking so I intertwined more specific bits about law school throughout. I've read successful PSs that got into U Chicago and Berkeley that had only one or two sentences at the end that pretty much said"...and I'll take these life lessons into law school..." so that is an option. I think it sounds a lil better to try to write a proper narrative with bits about law school throughout but to each their own!

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I don't think it is necessary. I didn't (though I did talk about law related experiences anecdotally) and was still able to get into many schools. I think it is more about crafting the most compelling story you can and not forcing it.

edited June 2018 2531 karma

I'd like to add that based on a Spivey post, the personal statement can be that one place where you don't talk about law at all. If you choose to leave it out make sure that you give them a story that demonstrates your ability to succeed in a legal environment.

you want them to know you have the character and skills to do well in law school

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    774 karma

I didn't talk about law. I guess it's tangential, though. It was about painting a picture of who I am and crafting a compelling enough narrative. For a couple schools, I wrote maybe one or two sentences at the end about why x fits.

• JaejaebinxJaejaebinx Alum Member
    104 karma

I'm not sure if you need to tie it to law for all law schools, but Asha (Director of admissions at Yale) advises to do so. Here's a short video where she answers a question about personal statements: https://law.yale.edu/yls-today/yale-law-school-videos/ask-asha-what-your-advice-writing-personal-statement

2531 karma

@JaeJaeJae said:
    I'm not sure if you need to tie it to law for all law schools, but Asha (Director of admissions at Yale) advises to do so. Here's a short video where she answers a question about personal statements: https://law.yale.edu/yls-today/yale-law-school-videos/ask-asha-what-your-advice-writing-personal-statement

I've heard many different things about this. Most sources (including retired and active admissions officers at top schools) consistently say that you don't need to include anything about why you're going to law school. What she says in the video that you linked is more along the lines of - "make sure that the law school understands why this is the next logical step". That doesn't explicitly mean that they want you to write "i am going to law school because x". They get thousands of those and, after all, the purpose is to stand out (in a good way) and not fall in with the pack.

• Mike SpiveyMike Spivey Free Trial Member
    267 karma

@JaeJaeJae said:

just an fyi that she is no longer their dean of admissions or at the law school and she also liked giving contrarian advice than what many admissions deans gave.