Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rc practice

ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
in General 905 karma

Hey everyone for rc did you use older passages for drilling ? (Under pt 50 ). I’ve seen discussions saying they are too different to be useable . Thanks

Comments

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    1028 karma

The passages are not really all that different (other than lack of the newer comparative reading passages). The main difference lies in what the questions are testing for. Current LSATs tend to test a high-level, broader understanding of the passage, requiring inferences and less available certainty on correct ACs. Older ones test more for recognition of what the author stated (fewer inferences, more able to check factual accuracy of your answers). This leads to a lot of people claiming modern RC is harder. I actually like modern RC better, as it doesn't hold you accountable for minutiae that you may have passed over on your first read.

With that said, I think that using pre-50 PTs for drilling can be very useful! Approach it as a reading exercise. Also, being able to attack factual understanding type questions (which there are still plenty of on modern RC) with high confidence will give you much more time to consider the harder inference-based questions you'll encounter on the modern LSAT.

I suggest at least reading every single one of the old RC passages. There is no better practice for RC that using old RC passages. They are the perfect opportunity to practice JY's memory method, even if you don't want to do the questions.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

@LastLSAT said:
    The passages are not really all that different (other than lack of the newer comparative reading passages). The main difference lies in what the questions are testing for. Current LSATs tend to test a high-level, broader understanding of the passage, requiring inferences and less available certainty on correct ACs. Older ones test more for recognition of what the author stated (fewer inferences, more able to check factual accuracy of your answers). This leads to a lot of people claiming modern RC is harder. I actually like modern RC better, as it doesn't hold you accountable for minutiae that you may have passed over on your first read.

With that said, I think that using pre-50 PTs for drilling can be very useful! Approach it as a reading exercise. Also, being able to attack factual understanding type questions (which there are still plenty of on modern RC) with high confidence will give you much more time to consider the harder inference-based questions you'll encounter on the modern LSAT.

I suggest at least reading every single one of the old RC passages. There is no better practice for RC that using old RC passages. They are the perfect opportunity to practice JY's memory method, even if you don't want to do the questions.

Thank you for the feedback